iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Texas Millet

Started by GATreeGrower, May 09, 2013, 06:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GATreeGrower

How can you kill Texas millet around longleaf pine?  Just had some band sprayed with Oustar (sp?) and even the guy spraying said it wont kill it, just hold it back.  When I get healed one of my first jobs is to fill up the backpack and get the Texas millet

beenthere

If you mean Oust, then I think it is just a pre-emergence spray. (correction, as appears to be both pre and after)

http://www2.dupont.com/Prod_Agriculture/en-us/content/land-vegetation-management/oust.html

Oustar I am not familiar with.
(another correction, as google found Oustar too...

here
http://www2.dupont.com/Prod_Agriculture/en-us/content/land-vegetation-management/oustar.html
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Claybraker

I'm confused. Why wouldn't the hexazinone (Velpar) in Oustar keep it under control?

GATreeGrower

What the guy said was he can't make the spray hot enough with longleaf to kill the millet...he said it would knock it back some but not kill it

customsawyer

The man doing the spraying is correct. If he gets the chemical rates up to control the Millet then you are going to be replanting.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Claybraker

Any ideas of something that could be used as a directed spray (not over the top) for control? From what I've read, imazapyr is also a big no-no around freshly planted longleaf. I was thinking about glyphosate, which won't give very good long term control, but it seems the safest option.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

GATreeGrower

Jake, my cousin had some sprayed before planting and specifically requested a hot mix...planted slash and lob after.  In some places he doesnt even have 50% survival.  Doesnt pay to overkill I guess.

A second question I have would be, should we really be worried about the millet and these longleaf or will the spray knock it back long enough for the trees to get ahead? 

I burned a lot of it two weeks before planting but there was a lot of moisture still and also found out millet doesnt burn easy.

GATreeGrower

After reading the study I feel a little better

Thank You Sponsors!