iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Catching a squirrel

Started by sandhills, February 18, 2011, 03:46:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

I agree with your aunt, that little guy should be let go. I know they are a pain in the butt. But the little buggers have to fight starvation and find a secure spot to curl up every night. I have box trapped a good many squirrels and taken to the woods. I have also trapped a few by rat trap so don't confuse me with the PETA group. ;) We have very few gray squirrels in rural areas, they are most concentrated in towns. Any squirrels I have caught were reds and I took them where there was lots of spruce cones and hazels bushes to forage in. ;D You should have seen all the cone shelling spots on the snow on my woodlot last winter. Must have been a bumper crop of cones, and the squirrels can have all they can eat. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

pineywoods

Yeah, the Ray Stevens song is a hoot, but the video just adds a bunch to it.
Mississippi Squirrel  8)
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Chuck White

I once had a minnow trap assembled and hanging on the wall in the garage and one day I walked into the garage and the trap was moving around and there was a lot of noise.  As it turned out, there was a red squirrel in it!  He'd gotten in and couldn't get out!

I've since taken the trap apart!  But, I have assembled temporarily and caught other squirrels.  It's easy if you just place some bait inside!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

clww

Quote from: Chuck White on February 24, 2011, 11:12:38 AM
I once had a minnow trap assembled and hanging on the wall in the garage and one day I walked into the garage and the trap was moving around and there was a lot of noise.  As it turned out, there was a red squirrel in it!  He'd gotten in and couldn't get out!

I've since taken the trap apart!  But, I have assembled temporarily and caught other squirrels.  It's easy if you just place some bait inside!
That trap is a keeper! Don't even have to try to catch anything, yet it still works! Awesome!
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

SwampDonkey

They sure like sliced apple. Also in the fall when I peel apples for sauce, often a squirrel had carried a piece of peel onto the steps and scraped the apple flesh from the peel. Now that just shows ya the little buggers are always looking for an opportunity for nourishment. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Well, it looks like it's my turn.  My neighbor called last week and said he was looking out his window and could see a Grey squirrel chewing a hole in the back of my barn. 25 years that barn has been out there and I never had a squirrel do that. Anyhow, I go out there to look, but the wind is blowing over 40 miles an hour.  The hole was on the backside, above the loft. On the inside, the loft is chucked full, the barn in front is full, and there is not good way to get in there until good weather. So, I took a rake and banged around on the loft, hoping I would chase him outside. I then went out and around back, the wind dropped a dead branch out of an oak that about hit me. I looked at it, and with a flash of brilliance, stuck it, tightly, in the hole to keep the squirrel out until I could make a better repair.

Two days later the neighbor called and said "Jeff, you need to come out and look at the stairway you built.  I said Huh? He said, just go look at the back of your barn.  I got my boots on and went out there. Steve came out too.  My temporary fix was being used as a stairway now for the danG thing to get up there. It simply stood on the branch and chewed the hole wider, and now, instead of jumping out, he could come out and sun itself in the southern sun.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

We'll stay tuned, as I wanna see how this plays out.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

When I lived in Fredericton the house next door had the corners of the roof at the bottom chewed out in the boxed in ends. One end had a family of gray squirrels and the other end had pigeons. An in our back yard was half a dozen big old butternut trees for the squirrels to stash nuts in the fall. :D

SwampDonkey

That squirrel was making his home there no matter what. :D

I was visiting a place one time. There was an old shed out behind the house. I looked and there musta been 25 red squirrels coming and going out of every corner, window and door (they were long gone) and holes chewed through board and cedar shingle and eves. The worst infestation of bushy tailed rats I ever saw. :D

beenthere

Church Squirrels

There were five houses of religion in a small town:
The Presbyterian Church,
The  Baptist Church,
The Methodist Church,
The Catholic Church and
The Jewish Synagogue.

Each church and Synagogue was overrun with pesky squirrels.

One day, the Presbyterian Church called a meeting to decide what to do about the squirrels.  After much prayer and consideration they determined that the squirrels were predestined to be there and they shouldn't interfere with God's divine will.

At The Baptist Church the squirrels had taken up habitation in the baptistery. The deacons met and decided to put a cover on the baptistery and drown the squirrels in it. The squirrels escaped somehow and there were twice as many there the next week.

The Methodist Church got together and decided that they were not in a position to harm any of God's creation. So, they humanely trapped the Squirrels and set them free a few miles outside of town. Three days later, the squirrels were back.

But, The Catholic Church came up with the best and most effective solution.  They baptized the squirrels and registered them as members of the church.
Now they only see them on Christmas, Ash Wednesday, Palm Sunday and Easter.

Not much was heard about the Jewish Synagogue, but they took one squirrel and had a short service with him called circumcision and they haven't seen a squirrel on the property since.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!