iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Property Zoning and Kiln Operation

Started by Ga_Boy, March 11, 2004, 11:30:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ga_Boy

I am planning on setting up my operation on my property, which is zoned for residential use.

Has anyone out there had encounters with local zoning board in terms of getting approval to operate their kiln in a residential area?
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Kevin_H.

I think it would greatly depend on things like how big the kiln is, Most of the time a solar kiln will have no more restrictions than a small shed.

I have heard of some people getting in trouble not because of the kiln but because they were selling retail from their home.
Around here, as long as you were using the lumber for you own use, not much would be said, but if you hang a sign and have a lot of traffic in and out, you could have a problem.
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

shopteacher

I have to agree with Kevin.  I'm an elected councilman for our borough and here your violating the ordinances if you selling from a residential area.  Your freee to do pretty much as you want for yourself, within reason, noise, dirt, clutter, etc. might violate other ordinances.  The borough is pretty lienient here, but the bad thing about that is you never know when things will change. OK today, wrong tomorrow.
    The only way to run a business in a residential area here is to have the area rezoned, a pretty hard thing to get done.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Ga_Boy

Thanks for the info.

The kiln will be a business, I'll either dry my own lumber to sell or dry someone elses for a fee.  I've got a call in to the local zoning board.  Will advise what I learn.

FeltzE

If you ask the zoning board they will be obligated to instruct you that you (most likely) will not be allowed to conduct business in a residential area, exceptions may be a "home office" but the intent will be to prevent increasing ANY traffic, no business signs, and no manufacturing process. If you didn't ask and built a structure that you could use as a kiln within the zoning for your OWN purpose and not for hire they couldn't phrohibit that, Then you could after built occasionally do a quiet business as long as  it didn't offend the neighbors.

The key is you asked if you could conduct business in a residential area, their answer should be unconditionally no. Then your screwed about doing the latter that is for your own benifit not for hire,,,,... mmmmm what they don't know and dosn't offend the neighbors...

Of course if your in near proximity of the neighbors then the sound of the 24 hour fans is bound to be a negative issue, and of course the endless trucks, and huge stacks of lumber, yea, then forklifts growling around at all hours of the holiday nights....  :D

good luck with it... smooooooze up to the council if ya can

Eric

Ga_Boy

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Got the letter from the Zoning Board last night. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Can ya guess what it said? 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

I can even put up a sign if'n I want. Now I gotta think of a name. :P

The bad new is  ;) I gotta pay the county an occupancy fee for setting up shop, $165; guess I need to be extra sweet to my LOML.  ;D

shopteacher

Good for you Ga_boy.  Glad some zoning board has some common sense.

woodhaven

If I had read this sooner I would have suggested.
Don't Ask Don't Tell.
Thats a goverment term now days.
Richard

Den Socling

My approach is this. Let the sleeping dog lie.  ;D

rebocardo

Get a permit for a garage, then build it. Once done, then build the kiln inside it. You are allowed to put any equipment you want inside your garage.

Norm

I'm amazed that your zoning commission was so easy to work with. Around here they send a letter to everyone within a 1/4 mile of your site asking for objections to the re-zoning. Then they have a public hearing to see if anyone else has objections. It can be a long drawn out process. Glad to hear yours went well.

My approach is to file for a building permit let em come out and assess the building and then next year add the other 3/4's to it. County assessor is not well liked around here. ;D

Ga_Boy

It's time to fly low hard and fast. ;D 8) 8)

shopteacher

You got that right. Strike before the pen of revoktion is able to.

Thank You Sponsors!