iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill camper?

Started by OlJarhead, March 27, 2017, 02:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mad murdock

Now you are "cookin' with gas"! 8)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

OlJarhead

Thanks guys :)  This thing is huge!  Amazing amount of room inside and a bit of a truck squisher but so far it handles it well and the 4080lbs rated Toyo's don't seem to mind it ;)

Now to get a new hitch and extension for it (ouch those aren't cheap!) so I can haul the mill behind it.
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Crusarius

going to need some add a leafs or some air bags. 

Resonator

Nice rig! Would be a good idea to measure your clearance height and write it down, just in case you need to know it. 
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

OlJarhead

Have air bags and stable loads (upper and lower) and 4000lbs tires ;)

On the height thing - YES!  I will be measuring it soon.  I have a tunnel to go through on the way to Chelan that I think I may have to avoid as it's 13'2" and this camper is so tall it has to be 13' plus

WV Sawmiller

Eric,

All that sounds good but there is really only one questions that needs to be answered - how does Mama like it? :D

Congratulations. Keep us posted. Semper Fi.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

DelawhereJoe

One other thing you may want to do is get an old fiberglass whip antenna and mount it off your front bumper. Those branches off into the woods at the job sites aren't marked for height and would be a shame to break something off the top of your camper. Even an old surf fishing rod would work.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

OlJarhead

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on March 31, 2018, 09:54:29 AM
Eric,

All that sounds good but there is really only one questions that needs to be answered - how does Mama like it? :D

Congratulations. Keep us posted. Semper Fi.
Oh mamma LOVES it :)  She is dying to get in and start putting her personal touch inside it and said (after I brought it home) "You are not allowed to get it dirty!" ..... um, ya right! lol, have you seen my clothes after a day on the sawmill? lol
This puppy is huge and has a usable bathroom! :D

I must admit, it's so nice and modern I'm totally stoked that we got it (and at a decent price).  Solar panel on the roof (small one but I can put a bigger one on with the built in wiring if I choose), auto switching fridge, AC and LP hot water, generator built in, auto switching tanks (2 30lb tanks) and so much more.  This thing is also well insulated compared to older campers!  2" R10 insulated walls and 4-5" R20+ roof!  Milling in late November and early December is now doable :D

Magicman

Congrats Erik for following your dream.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

OlJarhead

Thanks MM -- we're loving it!

Here's Darci getting the camper set up. 

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Now that is to Cool!  8)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Qweaver

We loved the truck camper for the trip to Alaska but it is always in the way for sawing jobs.  So we just sold it.  A tent will work but that's not great either. A small camper built onto the trailer that I use to haul the backhoe is also a thought.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Magicman

:o  I have never taken a backhoe on a camping trip.  :D  :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

MM,

It sure comes in handy when you have to dig the pit for the outhouse. What? You don't take along an outhouse?  :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

samandothers

The design is amazing to get all the stuff packed in.  The slide is great for additional space I'm sure.  Lookin good!

OlJarhead

Quote from: Qweaver on April 02, 2018, 09:04:33 PM
We loved the truck camper for the trip to Alaska but it is always in the way for sawing jobs.  So we just sold it.  A tent will work but that's not great either. A small camper built onto the trailer that I use to haul the backhoe is also a thought.
I didn't find my old camper got in the way and I was much happier with it there then having to travel 1hr or longer to a place to stay :)

NorcalMatt

Jarhead, this was one of the first threads I read on this board.  I think I read it straight through, so the timing might have been off, but I kept thinking "I hope his marriage is solid" after I read of all your weekend jobs.  

So this makes me smile.  Again, I'm not saying you were gone every weekend, but reading the thread straight through made it feel like it was.

Thank you for the stories of your success, and I'm happy to see that your wife gets to enjoy it as well 😉. Building a teardrop and then upgrading since has been one of the best things I've done in my marriage.  I wish you the best. 

OlJarhead

hahaha  Honestly I sometimes asked her if she felt like a sawmill widow but she said "NO!"

The new camper is a way to bridge that gap a little by making it a little more (ok a lot) comfortable so she might decide to join me now and again.  Truth is, I can be gone a lot in the spring and summer (or have been) but I've committed to working less on the weekends this year.  However, I'm a very lucky man and my marriage is solid :D 8)

Skipper11A

Quote from: Magicman on April 02, 2018, 09:25:12 PM
:o  I have never taken a backhoe on a camping trip.  :D  :D
Magicman doesn't get out very much.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: Skipper11A on April 03, 2018, 10:08:13 AM
Quote from: Magicman on April 02, 2018, 09:25:12 PM
:o  I have never taken a backhoe on a camping trip.  :D  :D
Magicman doesn't get out very much.
Seems to me he gets out a lot if you read of his travel, both milling and recreation...
After all his business card probably reads "I mill'm and leave'm...)
Herb

Thank You Sponsors!