iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log Disaster

Started by Fla._Deadheader, August 25, 2008, 02:51:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

Just happene3d to be watching the news, while eating lunch, and, there were 6 people killed, 2 small vehicles totally smashed, a motorcycle smashed, 2 other BIG Trucks, damaged, because a guy hauling logs on a FLATBED trailer, lost the load.  ::) ::) ::)

Logs crushed one car beyond recognition, other logs ran through a house. Other logs rolled over the Motorcycle.

I've seen loads here, that scare the crap out of me, and, I've done my share of hauling. These logs have pretty smooth bark, and it's wet from rain, and sap, from skidding the logs to the landing.

NO reason to loose a load like this.  Probably a typical 2 chain tiedown.  ::) ::) ::) ::)

They haul FULL length loads. Logs are 40' +. Some are 6' dia. ALL are extremely heavy.  ::) ::) ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

olyman

might be a lawsuit out of that!!!

rebocardo

When should man slaughter be upgraded to murder?

Unfortunately, it probably will not be done in this case or the case of the man in NY that hit that poor woman (in his van with defective brakes) and killed her and her (unborn at the time) child. He only had his license suspended 20+ times. Rest easy though, they have gun control in NY NY to protect its citizens.

CLL

I had the crap scared out of me by pulp wood shifting. Had a chain across every 4' section as well as stakes every 4'. I always drive to main highway, stop and check chains, just in case. I had drove about 20 miles when I hit a road repair, I looked back and had 3-4, 12" logs sticking out about half their length sideways. Luckly I could get over and rechained them. I now put chain on each section and straps inbetween. I have plenty of insurance, but thats not the point, insurance can't bring your child or parent back.
Too much work-not enough pay.

crtreedude

Yeah, I saw that too Harold. If there is anything that scares me here (besides finding a fer-de-lance in the bedroom - which I have!) is how they load and overload the trucks here.

We just hired a guy to start working for us in about a week. He came to work for us because he has been working nearly non-stop driving for a building supply company and was scared that no amount of coffee and coke would keep him awake.  :o

Normally I don't drive through Ciudad Quesada to the Central Valley, that road is incredibly tight turns, and the trucks are trying to make time.

Oh, Costa Rican law is that that person will spend the rest of their days supporting the families of the people who were killed. Or the company will.
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Fla._Deadheader

I thought the wreck was in Agua Zarcas ???  That's a different road, no ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

crtreedude

It might have been on the road between Aqua Zarcas and Ciudad Quesada

Warbird

Things like this that are preventable are so sad.  Do you have a link to the story on the web anywhere?

SwampDonkey

There have been a couple of loads over the years on Route 1 in Northern Maine that struck rail over passes. I remember one was deadly down in Houlton and one of those 40 foot aspen logs went through the windshield of a car in the rear as it jil-poked on the overpass.  :o
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Fla._Deadheader

This whole load just ran amuck, taking out cars, houses, and whatever was in the way. It showed logs spread out over 150 feet, besides being piled up in a bunch alongside the road.

Y'all don't realize, these things are HEAVY and HARD, and SLICK. It's almost as bad as trucking BIG PVC Pipe. I've heard truckers cuss PVC, because you can't keep it tight. Same with these logs.

Might be a link on the Ticotimes.net website. Maybe tomorrow. ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

DanG

I remember the day when spontaneous disloads were fairly common around here.  The log trailers of yore commonly had bolsters that consisted of a pine limb stuck into a stake pocket.  We all cuss the regulations that we have to adhere to, but sometimes they are actually needed. ::)  The trailers the loggers are using these days are a huge improvement, but I still get some pretty scary loads brought in here by farmers and others.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

SwampDonkey

A 40 foot green aspen, with 26" but is pretty slick and heavy (over a ton) to, just like slime when it's cut fresh in the growing season and some of the bark rubbed off by skidding.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

DR_Buck

Quote from: SwampDonkey on August 26, 2008, 05:09:40 AM
A 40 foot green aspen, with 26" but is pretty slick and heavy (over a ton) to, just like slime when it's cut fresh in the growing season and some of the bark rubbed off by skidding.

According to the log calculator that Aspen weighs 6341 lbs.  Over 3 tons.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

crtreedude

We had a large truck pickup 6,000 or so BF of corteza. Just shy of being a tractor trailer. Was planning on hauling it all, until he found out that after half, things were groaning.

Most people have no idea the weight of anything.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: DR_Buck on August 26, 2008, 06:46:19 AM
Quote from: SwampDonkey on August 26, 2008, 05:09:40 AM

According to the log calculator that Aspen weighs 6341 lbs.  Over 3 tons.

Buck, 16" mid span, not 26". 26" is but end. I never punched it into a taper formula to find it, just a best guestimate. ;)

I have seen some that would go close to 26" mid span though. One I posted here in the big trees forum was 32" as breast height. That would be real heavy for sure. We always had to get a class of oversize volume tickets from the mill to haul them. Other mills didn't want them, too big. The big stuff had to be separate, I think anything over 22".

Thank You Sponsors!