iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thanks for all the help with my SMV Rapid

Started by danbuendgen, August 29, 2016, 08:14:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danbuendgen

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the help with my new (old) Rottne. I have gotten a TON of PM's from guys all over (New England mostly) checking in, giving advice, and letting me ask a endless amount of newbie questions. Just thought I'd post a few pictures for anyone interested with what I'm doing with it, and what projects I working on, instead of PMing everyone over and over again. Still need to work on more projects. I want all this lights to work by winter. Still changing out oils. I do some kind of oil change every week. Working on a heater hose set up next weekend, so my truck can pump in hot coolant into the forwarder in winter. Just some heater hose, and quick disconnect fitting. Works well with the skidder. No hard starts in winter.   

This is it. Like my rain cover for the exhaust?

My wife moving some pine logs.

Vents we added, No A/C. They help out a ton. I highly suggest this to anyone with one of these machines with crappy or no A/C. Works well with a few fans going. We also vented under the cab for more air flow. Helps out a ton. Cheaper the a A/C. I was quoted around 3k for parts for upgrading to the Red Dot system....At this point of my business, I have better things to spend 3k on.

Anyone know what this switch is supposed to be for? I have played with it, and can't tell if anything happens....

Made some new arm rests today. Much better then the disintegrated original ones!

Pulled out the steering wheel and added some gauges, water temp, oil press, and boost.

Pulled out the old thermostats. They were rated for 195*F, made the cab too hot with the fan pulling, with the fan pushing, the engine ran too hot. I just installed 170*F thermostats, and with the fan pushing it runs at a good temperature, and the cab does not get too hot. I HIGHLY recommend this to anyone running one of these in the summer time.

Ripped that hood insulation off. That 20 year of stuff was nasty, and was falling apart all over the engine. Whats that for anyways? Noise insulation? Well it's long gone now.

Plugged this off, and vented the crankcase breather into the atmosphere. I don't like my engines eating it's own waste.

Any idea why the last owner taped this off? Maybe it used to have a air filter minder gauge?

When I changed out the oil in the transfer case, it had a ton of tiny metal shavings in it. My fingers looked like they were covered in glitter.... Hope it holds on till' mud season. My plan is to keep the oil changed often until then.

A few more of my wife running the machine.
Husqvarna ~ TimberJack ~ Dodge Cummins

Ken

What is the capacity of that machine danbuendgen?  I always liked the size of those Rottnne cabs.  I've started to shop for a different forwarder and my next one will have a bigger cab. 
Lots of toys for working in the bush

danbuendgen

That's a good question. Still figuring that out. Most loads are mixed with logs and firewood, so it's hard for me to tell. But, 3 good loads of 16' pine seem to do a truck and pup trailer. Last load scaled at 7,200 feet. So, (getting my calculator) that's 2,400 feet. I guess it could take more. But I don't mound it up like a lot of guys do. I just load it level to the side stakes. Seems to move 4-5 cords loaded level to the side stakes. I cut my firewood 18-20 foot. Maybe someone that has one of these longer then I have mine will chime in. We just got this mid summer, and still working the bugs out.

snowstorm

16 ton machine or there a bouts. the toggle switch on the right arm rest is the forward reverse switch. the longer switch on the right dash  needs to be towards the crane. the crankcase breather is set up so any oil returns to the oil pan. the air filter restriction sensor may have been where the tape is. there is a lite on the dash for it. you need to seal that

snowstorm

2th look that is the dust drain if you want to call it that coming out of the bottom of the air filter. it dose look a bit odd

danbuendgen

Ken, what kind of forwarder do you have now?
The cab size of the Rottne is just fine. But I have little to compare it too. I have room for a chainsaw, lunch, water, and basic tool box ( mostly for the electric over hydraulic stuff, wire tester, spare wiring stuff, electrical tape, screw drivers, wrenches for hydraulic hoses, ect) in the cab.

danbuendgen

Quote from: snowstorm on August 29, 2016, 09:00:26 PM
2th look that is the dust drain if you want to call it that coming out of the bottom of the air filter. it dose look a bit odd

That's strange, It faces up... I don't see how it could drain like that....

snowstorm

i bought a new red dot ac set up for a 1\3 of that. the condenser should be fine. the cab unit was under 700. if the compressor is good your in luck. they use a common sanden compressor. new 350. a new dryer 20 and some hoses. i have the crimp tool so i got the hose and fittings rather than have them made. should replace all the hoses   

danbuendgen

Quote from: snowstorm on August 29, 2016, 08:56:27 PM
16 ton machine or there a bouts. the toggle switch on the right arm rest is the forward reverse switch. the longer switch on the right dash  needs to be towards the crane. the crankcase breather is set up so any oil returns to the oil pan. the air filter restriction sensor may have been where the tape is. there is a lite on the dash for it. you need to seal that

~Can you explain more on the small toggle switch? I just use the main switch on the right dash for the F and R. How does the little switch on the arm rest tie in with it?
~On this machine, the crankcase breather went to the air intake that I have a picture of. So I capped off the intake port and vented the crankcase hose to the atmosphere. I don't see how or where it could get hooked up to drain back to the oil pan, but that would be a plus.
~The machine does have the air filter restriction sensor in the intake. And it's all hooked up and looks stock. I assume it works.

danbuendgen

Quote from: snowstorm on August 29, 2016, 09:12:27 PM
i bought a new red dot ac set up for a 1\3 of that. the condenser should be fine. the cab unit was under 700. if the compressor is good your in luck. they use a common sanden compressor. new 350. a new dryer 20 and some hoses. i have the crimp tool so i got the hose and fittings rather than have them made. should replace all the hoses

Lucky for you. The last guys that had this machine ripped it all out when the a/c failed. They wanted to put in all new parts, and never did. So I would have to start from scratch. That's what the 3k is for, everything.

snowstorm

i know of one parted out might have the condenser and fans. the long f r switch on the rite side dash  push that back towards the crane then use the small one for f r. later machines had a plastic can for the crankcase breather with a drain that went back to the block and the vent hose going thru the belly pan to the outside

Puffergas

That sure is a nice machine. Like your idea of changing some kind of gear box oil every week. About 25 years ago I almost bought an old iron mule. Boy oh boy was that beat. Weld on top of weld and the engine oil filter got ripped off in the woods a few times and destroyed the engine once or twice. I think he changed the location so it would not happen again.

Nice machine!!
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

snowstorm

you need to buy some blue paint. those vents my work but the side windows 1\2" lexan are over 600 each

danbuendgen

Quote from: snowstorm on August 29, 2016, 09:31:48 PM
you need to buy some blue paint. those vents my work but the side windows 1\2" lexan are over 600 each

Blue, black, and white paint is on the to do list. Mud season project.
I know lexan is expensive. But the vents work well. The windows are all scratched up and nasty anyhow. And, honestly, I bet I'm going to be the last owner of this machine. So I don't mind if it's full of holes!

snowstorm

the ac condenser is just behind the light above the door

danbuendgen

Quote from: Puffergas on August 29, 2016, 09:26:57 PM
That sure is a nice machine. Like your idea of changing some kind of gear box oil every week. About 25 years ago I almost bought an old iron mule. Boy oh boy was that beat. Weld on top of weld and the engine oil filter got ripped off in the woods a few times and destroyed the engine once or twice. I think he changed the location so it would not happen again.

Nice machine!!

Thanks Puffergas.
I feel happy with it for the price I paid. 22k.
Last owner recently did the engine, transmission and pump, hydraulic pump, and front tires and chains. Can't complain too much about anything. Tracks will need to be rebuilt in a few thousand hours, starting to get thin, 30%.
Yeah, I'm changing out some oil every week. Takes a 55 gallon barrel of gear oil to do the whole machine! So I'm buying a few 5 gallon buckets each week, and by the time fall hits, it should all be fresh.

AlexHart

Looking good.

I've noticed a few more jobs locally here have been put in as "forwarder only" which in a few cases seems rather arbitrary and annoying.  If that turns into a trend you'll be ahead of the curve.   

I got to thinking today if at some point the state starts throwing in "tier 4 emission equipment only" on the work requirement list that's really going to put a hurt on us small guys.   I hope that's not coming.   Or at least not soon.   

danbuendgen

Quote from: AlexHart on August 29, 2016, 10:20:45 PM
I've noticed a few more jobs locally here have been put in as "forwarder only" which in a few cases seems rather arbitrary and annoying.  If that turns into a trend you'll be ahead of the curve.   

I got to thinking today if at some point the state starts throwing in "tier 4 emission equipment only" on the work requirement list that's really going to put a hurt on us small guys.   I hope that's not coming.   Or at least not soon.

Well that's one reason that I picked up a forwarder. Landowners and foresters like it. Trouble is, I can't afford to pay as much in stumpage with a forwarder on the job. They have a high operating cost, and my production has not jumped up enough for high stupage prices. But more and more landowners don't care so much about the money, it's about having good work done in there woodland. It's nice to have a small neat landing. Not full of brush and buttons.

Yeah, the whole emission thing is an expensive nightmare. Makes the engine less reliable and more costly. Emissions are a joke anyways. We all know man made climate change is a hoax. Notice how they used to call it "global warming" now it's "climate change". Because it's not warming, it's getting cooler. The ice caps were melting, now it's growing in size. When the ice caps were melting, ice on Saturn and Mars and others were also melting. So Al Gore, how does my tailpipe cause other planets ice to melt the at the same time ice on our planet is melting? Because climate change is caused by the sun. Not a what comes out a tailpipe. Just a way for "them" to make more money. I have done a lot of research on this, and real science is being suppressed buy the elite billionaire class. My 08 5500 Dump truck we use for firewood has a EGR and DPF. I hate it. Love the truck though. I don't like the idea of my work truck eating it's own waste and gumming up the intake. When I get $1200 together, I'm getting a tuner and delete kits for it.

Thank You Sponsors!