iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thin SYP

Started by kelLOGg, May 28, 2018, 07:19:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

Sometimes when I resize cants I save the thin cuts so I now have a small stack I need to get rid of. Does anyone sell this stuff? Mine range in thickness from less than 1/8" to 3/8", widths up to 14" and lengths up to 16 feet. All are flat and air dried. How do you sell it? by sq ft? Any input will be helpful. Thanks.

Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

WDH

Quote from: kelLOGg on May 28, 2018, 07:19:27 PM
lengths up to 16".
Did you mean 16 feet or 16 inches?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Delawhere Jack

I leave the thin stuff with the clients. If they have young kids around, I suggest to them that they can make themselves "Burger King" type crowns out of it. ;)

WV Sawmiller

I would advertise it as "Project wood" and sell it by the piece. Make a wild guess as to what you think it is worth/will sell for. If it sells quickly you may raise the price next time (Or you got lucky and found that special one time customer who wanted exactly that item). 

I doubt you have enough of it to sell a lot of the same sizes. It may not be profitable to fabricate but treat this as a salvage operation. Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

kelLOGg

Quote from: WDH on May 28, 2018, 08:25:15 PM
Quote from: kelLOGg on May 28, 2018, 07:19:27 PM
lengths up to 16".
Did you mean 16 feet or 16 inches?
Thanks for catching that. I changed it to feet.
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I know everybody won't agree with me but I don't save anything that thin unless the customer specifies and he usually don't do it but once.
Trying to save anything that thin is generally a waste of time and of no value in my area.
There is no market for it.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

GAB

I sawed some 5/32" and 5/16" thick cherry and ash for a customer for making Shaker style containers.
The 5/32" was for the sides, and the 5/16" thick material was for the tops and bottoms.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Don P

I've also made plant/serving trays, crates, that type of thing. They go at the farmers market for $20.
These are crates that hold a dozen quart canning jars.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Magicman

Rustic display boxes/crates built out of 3/8" stock.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Lynn maybe you and Don should start building Bee Hives. 
That would start a buzz on the FF.  ::)

WV Sawmiller

K,

BTW - why are you getting these thin cuts? If they are trim cuts from where you flipped a cant to relieve stress won't the cuts be thick and thin and not something people would typically want?

If you are getting them off your dog board (final cut at the bottom of the cant) I suggest you make yourself a cheat sheet showing the various starting points for different thicknesses of cuts so that you end right on the mark so your last cut is the exact thickness you want without having a thicker or thinner board on the bottom than your previous cuts. That is a trick I learned here on the FF and I use it religiously. This almost always saves me an extra clean up cut at the bottom of my cant. 

I am attaching one of my cheat sheets. Mine is set up for a 1/8" kerf.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Sixacresand

I keep it. stick, stack and cover on a pallet then wind up using it for a crates, boxes, lap siding.  In January, I milled pine 1/2" for vertical siding on the this lean-to.

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Don P

Quote from: POSTON WIDEHEAD on May 28, 2018, 09:31:43 PM
Lynn maybe you and Don should start building Bee Hives.
That would start a buzz on the FF.  ::)
I was going to build one, downloaded the plans and made a heap of jigs for all the joinery involved, which was considerable. There are a bunch of heavily machined small parts in a hive. There's a couple of pails of parts waiting for the round tuit to roll in. I'd say let Brushy Mountain do them, it didn't seem to be a path to fortune to me :D.

kelLOGg

There's no single reason to explain why I have these thin cuts. They are all from my logs - re-sizing cants is sometimes a code word for screwup;D - sometimes I have accidentally switched scale and have to make up for it, sometimes I want to see how thin I can cut, sometimes the blade rises in the cut so I change to a sharp blade and get back on target, etc....

Thanks for the usage ideas - all I could come up with is dividers in a storage box - a BIG box or lots of small ones.
Bob

btulloh

Some good ideas here.  Thanks.

I end up with thin and odd stuff and over time it amounts to quite a bit of lumber.  I can't make myself throw it away.  There's an "antique store" near me that will take things on consignment.  I think I'll make a few crates and boxes and see if they sell.  We're in a weather pattern that suits that kind of work right now.

HM126

Bruno of NH

Market them on the FB market place
As small box and crate wood.
Also as project wood
They won't last long.
I can sell any thing thick,thin,short,long,boards and beams.
It's all about finding a market. 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

btulloh

Do you think FB marketplace is a better place than Craigslist?  I see more people using it now, but I'm not a big fan of FB so it's kind of not on my radar.  Maybe it should be.  
HM126

Bruno of NH

I sell every thing on the market place
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Thank You Sponsors!