iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Lathe

Started by metalspinner, July 11, 2008, 10:23:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalspinner

New-to-me, anyway. :)

This is a spinning lathe that a friend of mine no longer used.  He needed a load of red oak, and I needed a big lathe. ;D

I just spent the better part of two days getting it into the shop and asssembled. Boy, is this thing heavy.  The variable speed drive ways a couple hundred pounds, alone. smiley_sweat_drop

It has a24" swing, but is large heavy enough to make it a 36" later, if neccesary. ;)

I still need to run a circuit to it, but that will need to wait a couple of weeks. :'(
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

pigman

That lathe will be great for turning pens. 8) ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

tim1234

Looks like a beast.  Hope you had some help moving it.

Nothin like shavings shooting over your shoulder to cheer you up.

Now you need a bigger bowl gouge.

Tim
You buy a cheap tool twice...and then you're still stuck with a cheap tool!!
Husky 372XP, 455 Rancher, Echo CS300, Alaskan 30" Chainsaw Mill

WDH

I eagerly await some pics of beautiful projects ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Burlkraft

Nice score MS

You'll have ta git that baby wired and show us some pics of them big brass platters  ;D  ;D  ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Fla._Deadheader

I was just in the feed Store, yestidy, and saw some Spun Aluminum buckets. They looked a little crude, with scrape lines on 'em, but, they was probably near 3 gallon size  :o :o
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

SwampDonkey

Now we are talking serious business. ;D

I can see a few 8" pedestals and banisters spinning off that machine.  ;D 8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

metalspinner

QuoteLooks like a beast.  Hope you had some help moving it.

No.  Like everything else, I'm on my own. Except for my trusty winch and snatch block. ;)

QuoteI was just in the feed Store, yestidy, and saw some Spun Aluminum buckets. They looked a little crude, with scrape lines on 'em, but, they was probably near 3 gallon size 

Like everything else in this world, things can be done scrappily or they can be done right.  The fella this machine came from would have had no spin marks on the pot.  It would have looked like a mirror.  Now some of my parts??  Well, some extra time spent at the buff might be needed. :-\

While I was visiting him, he was working on an order for the Defense Dept.  - 1/4" steel plate wheel covers for Hum-V's. (I think. He wasn't even too sure.)  :o  I even got to spin a couple. 8)

It's amazing watching him work.  His motions are so fast, that things are a blur.  smiley_dizzy Every movement is carefully scripted so as to have no wasted time.  If he can save two seconds per part that motion, or non-motion, will be incorporated into his technique. The lathe in never turned off.  Fingers and hands are incredibly close to hot zones. And every part comes out perfect.

I love watching folks who really know what they are doing work.  All their efforts seem so simple and ordinary. When in reality, all is quite complicated and difficult.

Fla._Deadheader

Even though I can't view 'em, a video of that guy working would be incredible if shown on the FF. EH ???  ;) ;) ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

beenthere

There are several metal spinning vid's on YouTube. Very interesting to watch the different shapes take "shape".

Search on "metal spinning" to get at them.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Fla._Deadheader

This ring a bell, Senor ???

QuoteEven though I can't view 'em,
   First, it is ridiculed;

beenthere

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on July 12, 2008, 04:19:10 PM

This ring a bell, Senor ???

QuoteEven though I can't view 'em,

;D ;D ;D  Others can   .....  sorry about that Harold. I heard ya, and didn't mean to rub it in.  :) :)

Musta be that Island life...
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

metalspinner

Finally got around to putting this machine to use. ::)

Here it is freshly sanded...

And after the first coat of oil slopped on...

The bowl is 17" in diameter and about 3"thick.  I need to go digging in the stacks to find something 24"wide... ;D

zopi

Quote from: pigman on July 11, 2008, 11:14:48 PM
That lathe will be great for turning pens. 8) ;D

Ah...Cast Irony.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

zopi

Having a lathe to play with is a comfort..finally got to spin out a couple of roundish things on my
Delta 1460 yesterday..pegs for the girlscout headboard..complicated turning, eh?
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

WDH

MS,

Just in time for some Christmas presents :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

I love your turning MS with the crotch wood. I like turning too, but I hardly do any. I guess I don't have much for turning stock is why, just some elm, butternut and basswood. Butternut is not like turning walnut, it burs up bad because it's so soft, need a lathe with reverse.  :-\

I'd like to carve out a TV tray from 8/4 butternut though.  :)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

tyb525

Elm works good  :) In facts I just cut up several elm bowl blanks. (red elm)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

zopi

Gonna go out and spin out some stocking stuffers in a bit.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

tyb525

Whats the hp on that thing?
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

metalspinner

That's a 5HP 220 single phase with a variable speed drive.  It has tons of torque.  I was taking as heavy a cut as I could at the rim of that 17" bowl and it didn't slow down one bit. 8)  One of the upgrades I would like to do is add a spindle reverse switch.  That would help make sanding a bit smoother. A kill swith on the tailstock end would be nice, too.

Zopi,
Yeah, it's getting to be crunch time. I need to start making the list.

zopi

yeah..I spent the whole day out in the shop, pretty much without interruption..it was my birthday, and wifey took the rugratz out of my hair and let me play...i made a couple little stocking stuffers...wifey likes candles and doesn't have any candle holders worth a darn...spun on out that looks like a rosebud and is sized to hold a votive candle..dyed it red with candy apple red automotive paint<G> That's creative that is..

Gonna make some little tops and yo-yos too...my lathe skills are pretty rusty...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

tyb525

A 5hp 220 motor is a lot of power! I imagine you'd break something before you'd stall the motor.

On the subject of our latest lathe work, I've been working pretty hard lately making bowls to fill orders from people, not to mention I finished a big bookcase.  I like making bowls, but I think from now on I'm gonna sell bowls I make, instead of taking orders for them. Less pressure to get it done that way.

SwampDonkey

That's enough juice to turn the conveyor on a 50 foot telescopic potato bin piller. :D :D

WDH

In addition to turning bowls, MS can peel a whack of potatoes as well :D.

Thank You Sponsors!