iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I finally made something!

Started by Dan_Shade, December 08, 2008, 07:51:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

After sawing out 65,000 bf or so of lumber, I figured it was about time to build something without using a nail gun ;D

The tree was felled by God during Isabel down the road from me at a friend of a friend's house.

A friend of mine helped me skid out the logs, and the land owner had a small tractor, I used my arch to reduce yard damage.  I sawed the log with my old hud-son for half and half with the guy, we split the kiln fees. 

Mark (Ga_boy) dried the lumber for me, here's a shot of the pickup load on the way up:

Here is the glue up, and I mortised and tennoned the aprons and did the half thingy at the top:

here it is with the top attached:

The table in the background is one a friend of mine (same one mentioned above) is building, we use his shop.  That's lumber from a log that I just about killed myself getting the tree down, it was a 20" or so red oak leaner from Isabel, dried in our solar kiln.

here it is with some water based polyurethane,  I used that because we heat the shop with a wood stove, and we were concerned about the flamability of the fumes with regular stuff.

I'm pretty happy with it, it has a few mistakes, and isn't anything too fancy, I wanted to breadboard the ends, but I need to practice on some junk wood to do that.  My finishing skills have a lot of room for improvement too.  I have a way to go to catch up with some of you guys on skill level.

this took me about a year from the top glue-up!   And now I can say something other than "boards" when people ask me what I make, and i'm not so sure how I feel about that, hah!

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Reddog

LeeB

Looks pretty good for your first outing. Finishing gets easyer the more you do and so does the rest of it. Most likely nobody but yourself or maybe another woodworker will ever notice the mistakes you think you made. I like poly or shellac myself for finishing and i usually spray it on. Never tried the waterborn poly.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

SwampDonkey

Nice table Dan. Good project to hold some memories.  Make good use of it. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thedeeredude

Very nice 8)  Is the table for yourself white oak?

Dan_Shade

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Radar67

That's a great start Dan. I like the simple furniture too.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

pigman

That is a nice table Dan. 8) It is a lot better than my first table and I sure didn't try to make a half thingy on the top  like you did. ;)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Dan_Shade

I didn't say it was my first table, Bob, I said it was the first thing I made without a nail gun ;-)

getoverit

I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

WDH

Dan,

I am impressed!  That table will give you many years of service. 

You are also pretty good at coiling bandsaw blades, too, so now you are multi-lingual ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

zopi

Nice! Those aren't mistakes...they are character marks...

I finally built something with the first two logs off of my LT-15...built  a little 48" carpenters bench to
fit my pint sized workshop..it's a nice addition...gotta get some end vises for it tho'...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

metalspinner

Very nice! 8)  Can't wait to see it in its final resting spot.

Now, onto building a set of chairs to match. smiley_whip
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Dodgy Loner

Great job, Dan.  My first nail-free furniture wasn't nearly that nice :).  Did you design it yourself or is it a reproduction?
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Burlkraft

Good lookin' table  8)  8)  8)

I have gone strictly to water based poly. I use Crystalac and I love the results. It holds up well too  ;D  ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

SwampDonkey

That basically what I use to, goes under the Varathane name here. It doesn't yellow and is hard. Easy clean up to.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dan_Shade

well, to be honest, i've built a few things before, just not with my own lumber....

how do you guys fill the pores to get a glass like finish?

Radar67

I keep layering the finish coats. I hand rub oil and have used as many as 12 coats.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

zopi

Quote from: Dan_Shade on December 09, 2008, 12:26:08 PM
well, to be honest, i've built a few things before, just not with my own lumber....

Raise the grain by wetting the wood and letting it dry before the first coat,
then sand that first coat, re coat....sand with progressively finer paper...I finish some stuff with
automotive fine polish...the stuff without wax...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

getoverit

Quote from: Dan_Shade on December 09, 2008, 12:26:08 PM

z-poxy finishing resin....works like a charm to fill pores
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

SwampDonkey

With butternut, I take a damp sponge and wash down the piece and sand as the grain lifts for a couple of times. Then use multiple coats of finish while sanding a couple coats lightly at first with fine grit. Butternut grain lifts about the worst of any hardwood.  Probably white oak is not too bad as far as pores because of the tylosis. You can see the butternut pores as well, as fine black lines on the flat surface. Interesting with the mix of gray and brown wood. Your oak pores probably have a white appearance. :P

Thank You Sponsors!