iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Black Walnut for a countertop

Started by stumpy, January 08, 2009, 05:59:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stumpy

I have a cutomer that would like to make countertops and a butcher Block with Walnut.  I told him I would check with you guys to see if there are any concerns with using Walnut.  Any thoughts ???
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

Norm

My only one would be it's a little soft for a high use area but would it ever be pretty.

I've got some hard maple stashed away for one when I redo mine.

WDH

It should look like a million bucks!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

beenthere

I've had a couple cutting boards made from black wanut and hard maple, that I made in the 60's, and use them often. The walnut shows little, if any difference from the maple, in wear and tear. Granted, don't use them as chopping boards..mostly meat, and that mostly venison.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

TexasTimbers

I don't think walnut would be too soft for a counter top. Long as it it's not gonna see anything except average everyday kind of counter top use. Walnut is suitable for hardwood flooring so it ought to be okay for a counter top.

Quote from: beenthere on January 08, 2009, 07:05:22 PM.... that I made in the 60's ....
smiley_old_guy

That hide glue is good stuff ain't it bt!  ;D

The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

SwampDonkey

My mom says, don't cut nothing on my counter top. Use the cutting board. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

Quote from: TexasTimbers on January 08, 2009, 07:43:20 PM

That hide glue is good stuff ain't it bt!  ;D

Messy to make tho...
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ironwood

It is soft, but you can use some modern finishes, like catalyized varnish (CV) to stiffen it up a bit. It is a yellowing finish, so warn your customer that it will "amber " up a bit. Also the CV will dry much harder that standard varnish. Try to source M.L. Campbell CV, it is a good brand, although not cheap, usually good and cheap are mutually exclusive :D

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Thank You Sponsors!