iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log home builders and chainsaw sizes.

Started by CMI80, January 05, 2018, 08:21:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CMI80

Good morning from central Michigan at 11 below !
I'm  starting my first full scribe log cabin and  would like to know from you guys with experience what size chainsaws work best for you ?  My logs are up to 21" at the butts. So considering weight, CC, bar length, what two saw combinations would be ideal for the saddle notches, long grooves and ripping sill logs and openings and all the rest ?

Thanks

scouter Joe

A lot depends on your experience with a chainsaw . The bigger the saw the heavier it will be . If you are going with only one saw I would go with something in the 70 cc range and get a 16 " bar for notching grooving and carving . Also get a 20" or longer bar for cutting your starter 1/2 longs and ripping . I have a sawmill for that so the only thing I use the longer bar for is cutting window and door openings which is a 32" bar  . My carving saws are a Jonsered 2172 and a Jonsered 2166 both having 72 cc .
If going with 2 saws something in the 60 cc range and a bigger one in the 90 cc range with a 28" bar which should be big enough to do all your window and door openings but a 72 cc saw would be fine for only one or 2 buildings . scouter Joe

CMI80

Thanks scouter Joe. I have a 60cc saw and am planning on getting a second larger saw with a 28" bar for the bigger cuts and and to have a back up saw. I like your idea of a 72cc saw with two different bars. It keeps the weight down for the more common tasks of notching, carving and cutting to length. It may be a little under sized for ripping but according to you it should do the job and be more versatile ? Thanks for the advice !

kantuckid

This guy will NOT be using that big a saw on his cabin build!
I used a 14" echo for my log home in 1979 and this time around it will be what I call my "senior saw" for the new project.
It's a Stihl MS241C, pricey but fairly hot saw for it's size and has comp release to boot, much easier on the shoulders, especially the one with the cables and screws or the worn out hands...

Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

badger1

I bought the recommended (by instructor) MS261C for my cabin building class....love the saw. Cuts fast and smooth, very smooth. Computer adjusts for temp and altitude (if thats an issue). Cuts like a knife through butter.

Equally important is the chain that you use, we used the green link safety chain, I can get specifics I have written down if you need them.

Amazing how comfortable you get with a saw after 10-12 hours/day cutting for a month...The majority of the logs, grooves, laterals and notches, scarfs were all done with the chainsaw.
Contact me via PM, willing to help with projects for more experience
1986 Woodmizer LT30, STIHL MS261C, 1997 Dodge 2500 CUMMINS

CMI80

That does look like a nice saw. What length bar were you using for those cuts ?  Is that chain a chisel tooth or semi / chipper tooth type ?

Al_Smith

I've never built a log structure but I have used a Stihl MS 200T in some instances for rough framing .You can maneuver a small chain saw in places that a circular saw nor a sawzall will reach .Some times like it or not you have to do what you have to do to get the job done .

Thank You Sponsors!