iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Determining structural or decorative interior framing

Started by nvahling, March 29, 2018, 11:43:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nvahling

Hello - new to the forum and have a question that I cannot find an answer to.  There is a property I want to buy and the interior rooms have what appear to be structural framing (Timber framing), but cannot get a straight answer from anyone if its structural or decorative.  I understand the difficulties with answering this sort of question, but any advice is useful.  Some pics are below.

barbender

Hard to say from just pictures, but ut certainly looks structural to me.
Too many irons in the fire

Ljohnsaw

Interesting but I see something that makes me think decorative.  Look at the braces - it looks like there are holes with possibly lag screws holding them up?  Maybe look real close at those joints to see if there is a tenon visible or just a gap all the way across.  Also, there are very few braces - only in one direction in each room.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

flyingparks

Quote from: barbender on March 30, 2018, 12:46:30 AM
Hard to say from just pictures, but ut certainly looks structural to me.
x2
If there is a crawl space or attic you may get a better idea from peeping around in there. It seems like a lot of timber work to be decorative, but I also agree with ltjohnsaw that there braces are lagged. Can you provide more closeup pictures of where timber members meet? If there is a crawlspace, see how the posts are connected (or not) to foundation.

nvahling

Thanks, everyone.  trying to schedule another walk-through and will get closeups to post. To be clear, if a brace doesn't have a tenon, its more than likely not truly supportive, correct? 

thanks, again and hopefully more to come.

Ljohnsaw

With a single lag bolt, I wouldn't trust it as a load bearing member.  Even with 2 bolts, that is a lot of shear on a lag bolt.  It didn't look like the braces were housed, either.  Though not necessary, the housing helps with the forces along with the tenon.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

canopy

The definition of structural means the frame is holding up the roof. So if the roof is sitting on those rafters it's structural.

When I see the dimensioning and joinery in picture 4 that sure looks like a genuine timber frame to me. True those pins in the braces are a curiosity. They almost appear be pegs added later. But the house may get bracing in other ways. Knee braces are not approved in some areas. It would be good to get a close up of a knee brace connection from all sides to better understand them.

Dave Shepard

Knee braces work in compression. If they have tenons, then pegs are not needed. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Don P

To expand that definition a little more, structural members are load bearing. Look at the drywall ceilings, some type of framing is holding that drywall up. Is that framing bearing on the timberframe or is it independent, bearing on the walls. If it matters which it is use a stud finder on the sloped ceiling, are their rafters above the drywall or purlins bearing across the timberframe rafters? On the flat ceilings same question although without knowing the layout that may or may not tell you but it would be one indicator. What is under the posts on the floor... is their a solid load path to foundation elements under the floor. It doesn't really matter which it is unless you are planning on altering the frame.

Thank You Sponsors!