iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Odd critters

Started by tree-farmer, December 24, 2010, 08:58:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tree-farmer

Couple of pictures of our resident white squirrel, they are not albino but a seperate breed that is found around Brevard NC. Story is the they escaped from a traveling show back in the 1920's and took up residence. Some inter breeding going on (note brown top knot) but they maintain the white fur for the most part.
They stick out like a sore thumb in brown woods but almost vanish when there is a snow background.
Not sure if they live other places or not, anyone have these where you are?

Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

fishpharmer

tree-farmer, now that's a cool looking squirrel.  I have never seen one like that between Mississippi and South Carolina. 
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Raider Bill

I've never seen one in all my travels. Wonder if they mated with black squirrels if the'd end up looking like skunks?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Tom

I've not seen any like that here.  The hawks and owls would probably make short work of them.  I'd call them Stew.  :)

David Freed

There are white squirrels at Olney, IL. I haven't seen them myself, but they have signs at the city limits telling about them.

Battle Creek, MI has Black squirrels. I have seen them during my many visits to relatives.

Dave Shepard

We have a lot of grays, and the occasional black squirrel, which are a little smaller.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Chuck White

Here in Upstate NY, we have Red Squirrels, Gray Squirrels & Black Squirrels.

I've been in many of these US states and Asia and S.E. Asia and haven't seen a White Squirrel.

Thanks for posting.  Neat lookin' critter.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

DanG

We have those white squirrels around here too.  They tend to be isolated in little pockets around the area.  I know of one neighborhood in Tallahassee that's just crawling with them.  There was a small group of them right down the road from here, but I haven't seen one of them in several years. 
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Thank You Sponsors!