iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Question about timber crusing equipment

Started by chowtownsfinest, February 15, 2014, 03:24:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chowtownsfinest

With another field season fast approaching I'm starting to replace some of the gear I've worn out. I primarily do FIA research, but am hopefully picking up some timber cruising work this season.

Question 1: I've been using a standard sighted mirror compass for the last 5 years, but the bezel has worn out on me, and I'm looking at replacing it with a Suunto Tandem like this one: http://www.suunto.com/en-US/Products/Compasses/Suunto-Tandem/Suunto-Tandem-360PC360RD1/  the extra benefit being that it includes a clinometer I can use as a backup to my laser, which has failed me in the field in the past.  The compass will primarily be for shooting Azimuths on FIA plots.  But will it be too awkward to use for navigation as compared to a standard sighted mirror compass?

Question 2:  It was recommended that I pick up a Relaskop for the type of timber crusing I'll be doing, and I've read through a few of the older threads on here about using them, but I was curios if anyone had any thoughts on some of the newer Laser Hypsometers/BAF Scopes like the Trimble Laser Ace 1000 http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/View_Catalog_Page.asp?mi=38451&title=Trimble+LaserAce%AE+1000+Rangefinder+with+Digital+Compass&itemnum=59051 or the Criterion RD 1000 http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/View_Catalog_Page.asp?mi=38731&title=Criterion%99+RD+1000+Electronic+BAF%2Dscope%2FDendrometer  Any thoughts on what to use?

Clark

If you want to test the Suunto tandem for cheap go onto a craigslist search engine and type in "inclinometer".  The guys installing the small dishes use them and that industry must have a high turnover rate as you used to be able to find the tandems for $50 pretty easily. It looks like $80 is the norm now. The only shortcoming to this method is that the clinometer part will be in degrees/percent. No topographic scale.

I bought one like this and it worked well.  My problem was that the housing for the compass was rather weak.  I broke it somehow and only noticed when the compass was acting funny. Mine was not field worthy but I know of others who have used them just fine.  I went with the Suunto KB-20 compass and really like it.

Relaskops...I hope you've got a bunch of cruising work to help pay for it! No experience with anything other than the (overpriced) original.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

BuckeyeAaron

I haven't used the tandem design before but I'd be a bit skeptical.  As a general rule I usually prefer tools to be designed and built for one purpose.  When you start to combine thing it seems like something is more likely to go wrong.  But they could easily be great pieces of equipment that serves you well.  I'd prefer to have two separate tools for the separate tasks.  Personal choice I suppose.

I agree with Clark.  To invest in a Relaskop seems awfully excessive.  I haven't used a Relaskop since college and I recall that they are designed to be incredibly accurate but is heavily dependent upon user proficiency.  As far as laser tools go, I have used some simpler models and I think they can save a lot of time and be accurate but the main issue I always encountered was having a clear horizontal view to the tree you are cruising.  Will you be working an open understory environment?  If you expect thickets/thick brush under the mature canopy you could hit issues because without being able to establish a clear HD the tool becomes useless. 
If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me. 

Psalms 139, 9-10.

Thank You Sponsors!