iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

couple pics... post what your currently cutting

Started by RunningRoot, January 27, 2015, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BargeMonkey

Getting the road / Header put in for another job, 3'x30' tube, 200+ft of fabric, 200+ yd of material before it's done. Quite a bit of wood to come off this job. 

I worked for one of the coolest landowners ever this last winter, he had seen pictures of some of the pine we had sawed for tables so I brought 2 of the nicest logs home, in the mill now to be sawed up, the next time I go back I've got 3 jobs on either side of the one I cut. 

I've got another one a little bit bigger than that one and a 5'×7' coffee bar being build, ran slabs thru the planer the other morning. 

Just when you think the last of the fly by night dirt bag loggers are gone they con a landowner with promises and this is what you get....  Was one of the nicest small woodlots I've seen in a LONG time. Landowner got boned, footage doesnt add up, checks didnt add up, they loaded the skidder as fast as they could as the truck was loading the logs. 

Theres 3-4 Big oak on the ground, they saw a little mineral and just left the whole tree, smashed out the best they could and ran. Landowner was promised 10k+ and 50+ cord on the header, got 6k and less than 10 cord, theres still 2-3ld of ash and hard maple there but this was a hit and run job. I'm not a fan of any further regulation in NY but the parasites keep finding work. Now I'm going to be PAID to clean it up, originally I was going to PAY for the wood 😂 Got to love it. 

Skeans1

@BargeMonkey 
Want a quick way to take care of that issue make every logger selling to a mill be certified x amount of cost as well as hours per year just to sell wood. 

BargeMonkey

Quote from: Skeans1 on April 25, 2019, 06:50:10 AM
@BargeMonkey
Want a quick way to take care of that issue make every logger selling to a mill be certified x amount of cost as well as hours per year just to sell wood.
It's not my fight and except for the couple load of logs that aren't there in the end I will make MORE money off the job. I've done some digging, know who the guy is, what mill he normally sells to but for some reason the logs didnt go there, they went to a buyer who had dropped the price of RO considerably, I knew it was coming 2wks before the job got cut because I'm personal friends with a guy down there, doesnt add up but again this is what happens. I'm not a fan of anymore regulation, it's not as common as it was here yrs ago, it just gives us all a bad name. The people I'm working for up there have MONEY, own a couple car dealerships in Albany, this happening basically cut out anyone else from working for them, so hey why not 😂 

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ehp

I remember some old fart telling you that a circular is the only way to go , bar saws are a joke if your doing production . The bar saw machine I had took me abit to make it get producing but its still not a good circular can do and production cost is higher on a bar saw setup

Old Greenhorn

Barge sorry for the stupid question, but what is "RO"? I know I am gonna slap my forehead as soon as I click 'post', but I had to ask.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

dustintheblood

Reverse osmosis    8) 8) 8)

(yeah this is an all-things-forestry forestry forum)
Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

BargeMonkey

Red Oak. It wasnt a huge job but I bet there was 120-150 of those. 

doc henderson

@Old Greenhorn ,  RO... title of a children song involving a gentle stream and a boat?!!!
     bath_smiley        remember, life is but a dream.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Old Greenhorn

I'll go with red oak, sorry, i can be SO dense sometimes. Its a shame nice trees like that were pretty much stolen. , I think you mean 'row', not RO.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

nativewolf

@BargeMonkey how is the RO pricing right now, down here in VA pricing slipped back down to $600ish more or less.  
Liking Walnut

BargeMonkey

Quote from: ehp on April 25, 2019, 07:25:07 PM
I remember some old fart telling you that a circular is the only way to go , bar saws are a joke if your doing production . The bar saw machine I had took me abit to make it get producing but its still not a good circular can do and production cost is higher on a bar saw setup
Theres NO comparison. I will say a 3/4 Multitek will handle some nasty wood, another guy I know had a 2040 and it puts it out but not like this thing. 

Its going back inside the building, chip separator, sawdust system. The large conveyor, tumbler and small conveyor take ALOT of power to run, I'm tempted to get a HPU, with them being powered independently this thing comes alive, I could smoke a triaxle load in under 2hrs by myself without issue. 

BargeMonkey

Quote from: nativewolf on April 26, 2019, 08:02:55 PM
@BargeMonkey how is the RO pricing right now, down here in VA pricing slipped back down to $600ish more or less.  
It's like I tell everyone, they are always paying good money for GOOD wood, it's when you get into the 1's and down that knocks the average down. Anything over 500 per mbdft on mixed run wood still isnt to bad. I'm one of the few still shipping pine here which is nice, the way things are going there wont be an ash tree left in this area in a few yrs, I move to a HAMMER job next week, talking about cutting for another guy over off RT296, he has 6,000 ash market on one job. 

nativewolf

I am getting closer to $750 leaving out the walnut but I am sitting on the nicest RO waiting for the price to move back up a bit.  

6000 ash trees?  Wow...that's some cutting if they have any size.  Timbco does ok on that sort of wood?
Liking Walnut

Ed_K

700 for #1 and we're around 250 on the stump west of the Conneticut. river.
Ed K

nativewolf

Quote from: Ed_K on April 27, 2019, 07:43:43 AM
700 for #1 and we're around 250 on the stump west of the Conneticut. river.
So we're all in the same ballpark.  I would take $700 for 1's as most of the bottom 32' are prime clear if not veneer.  
Liking Walnut

Crusarius

I really don't understand why everyone is insistent on cutting all the ash trees down. The state is clearing the state land by me taking thousands of big ash trees down. It is really sad. do they really think getting rid of the ash will stop the ash beetle? I bet they just force them to move on and kill the rest of the ash. The ppl that still have uninfested ash are going to get screwed. With the amount of trees coming out of that area someone is getting a very big payday. Unfortunately they are basically clear cutting the park. So they get a payday and the residents of the community get multiflora roses. how nice. thanks again NYS.

quilbilly

I read somewhere that Canadians did this and it helped with limiting the beetle infestation, and subsequent tree loss. I believe the environmentalists said they went way too far though. If I can find the article again I'll pm the link.
a man is strongest on his knees

BargeMonkey

My area should have been SMOKED 5-6yrs ago BEFORE the bug was everywhere. It's bad here, theres still some without it but not alot. Honestly and not to sound funny, it's actually manipulating the market in every mechanical loggers favor, when this big job in Andes came out for the ash on NYC it only went out to buncher guys, couldn't have a man on the ground with a saw because of it being so dead, I didn't push it and my cousin cut it for Wagner. I'm headed to a job in town with 2400 ash marked next week. Just finished up a job on the northern end of my county and you couldn't pay me enough to cut that stuff by hand, dead limbs raining down. 
 If the beetle has nothing to infest hopefully it will die off, it's too late now and it's all going to die. My buyer cant pack containers to China with it fast enough. 

barbender

I just sat through a class last week put on by 2 MN DNR Forestry guys to bring us up to speed on their plans for dealing with EAB. Their plan is to thin the ash, for the most part, and plant under it with shade and moisture tolerant species. The hope is that when the ash gets wiped out, the other species will be established enough to hold their own. Most all of our ash stands in the northern part of the state are low lying, made up of primarily black ash with some component of green ash. The concern is that when the ash dies, those sites will go to swamp grasses, brush, or cattails, depending on how wet the site is. Basically the DNR is trying to maintain some sort of forest cover in these areas.
Too many irons in the fire

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Crusarius on April 27, 2019, 10:10:54 PM
I really don't understand why everyone is insistent on cutting all the ash trees down. The state is clearing the state land by me taking thousands of big ash trees down. It is really sad. do they really think getting rid of the ash will stop the ash beetle? I bet they just force them to move on and kill the rest of the ash. The ppl that still have uninfested ash are going to get screwed. With the amount of trees coming out of that area someone is getting a very big payday. Unfortunately they are basically clear cutting the park. So they get a payday and the residents of the community get multiflora roses. how nice. thanks again NYS.
I can't say what you have up there, down here in the Catskills, as Barge said, everything is already dead, or will soon be because the bug is in it. It's been 5 years since I have seen a healthy tree. If you have a few maybe I should take a ride up to remember what they look like. It is pretty much a lost a cause. I think the 'cut down everything" plan is to reduce the hazard of falling trees. Again, as Barge says , once they get too dead and old, it is a real hazard to remove them. cutting them as early as possible is prudent. The ash are a lost cause for us in New York. i am not, nor have ever been a fan of the NY DEC and their plans. I have seen a bit about how they think and come to decisions, it is not pretty. There is too much politics, posturing, and personal career moves involved. It's not quite corruption, but there is a lot of dealing going on to support what ever each player want to do. It's bad here. They hold zero credibility with me. I don't mind hand cutting the ash. Every tree is an adventure and should be approached with care and thought. Barge mentioned NYC lands, I know they play big in his area, as they do in mine, roughly 40 miles east and a bit south of him. I see thousands of dead, broken, down, and standing ash. These trees could provide heat for the entire county and I don't want to think about the number of board feet that could be milled from them. Yet they sit and go to rot because they are over the fence line. This is stupid and wasteful to our society. These are 20"+ DBH trees. What a wasteful shame. NYC DEP should be ashamed. (Barge may have a different perspective on this, he makes a good part of his income based on NYS DEP rules, and I may have just burned up a growing friendship, but that's what I think.)

Firewoodjoe

Yeah it's all dead here. They aren't trying to screw anyone. They are trying to get money now before it's worth nothing. And that money goes back to your state i believe so. Helping the "community" in one way or another. Now we cut for firewood if it's still solid or drive over it. That's a lot sadder!

Crusarius

Wish I could believe it would actually go back to the residents of the state but in all reality we know none of the taxpayers will ever get any benefit from what they are doing.

Oh well. nothing I can do about it. Just sad to see. 

I still think by taking the ash trees down the bugs will spread faster to the uninfected areas wiping all ash trees out of existence.

BargeMonkey

Quote from: Crusarius on April 29, 2019, 06:14:45 AM
Wish I could believe it would actually go back to the residents of the state but in all reality we know none of the taxpayers will ever get any benefit from what they are doing.

Believe it or not there are jobs created because of this, the biggest problem I know of is the state has cut back on foresters so it's not "small" jobs anymore. 

Thank You Sponsors!