iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Franklin 405 buncher 4speed powershift problem

Started by Sam Strom, July 17, 2018, 03:18:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam Strom

hey there, this is my first post so here goes nothing! haha

so the 4 speed powershift  in my franklin has 2 shafts going into it from the bellhousing. The bigger of the two is the drive shaft from the torque converter. The second is a smaller one that (I think) runs through the trans and turns a hydraulic pump for the head functions. the smaller shaft is locking up at times, and killing the engine. I had the shaft break once before, and i pinned and welded it. now i dont know why it is locking up in the transmission. my mechanic thought it was in 2 gears at the same time, but that would effect the main drive shaft, and not the smaller pto right? any help would be greatly appreciated!

thank you

-Sam-

mike_belben

Without a schematic diagram its awful hard to say what could be in there.  Typically a powershift trans of any sort will have an input shaft and a pump on it, which generates pressure to clamp the various gears through friction packs.  You have two planetary sets, one is all forward and one is all rear.  Any planetary gives 3 speeds depending which component you hold still via clutch clamping.  So each clutch dictates what shafts power flow transmits through.  

Now that shaft underneath thats locking up, i dont know if it turns a pump or a mechanical gear train but id guess a pump.  Hopefully someone else knows.  If it had broken teeth inside, busted vanes or just a stuck relief valve.. Any of those would create loads capable of stalling the engine.  In the case of broken parts youd find evidence somewhere.  In the sump or in the filters or pickup screen or getting jammed in valves.  It has to show up.  

But still, first we need a model number and a diagram to know what it even is.  
Praise The Lord

woodmaker

franklin q80,builtrite 40,husky 372,sachs dolmar 123, dozers,excavators,loaders,tri-axle dump trucks ,autocar tractor with dump,flatbed and detachable trailers, and 8  f350 diesels

Sam Strom

B/M No: 10054200-13
Model No: P4-200 8-21-91 im guessing that last part was the date of man/re-man
Serial No:4888v not sure if thats the whole number or not, but it looks like it is. 

Southside

You could try giving Kieth at Forestry Construction a call. 540 586 6814. He bought a LOT of Franklin stuff and all the build / tech info when Franklin closed. He can answer your questions and help with parts should you need them. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Sam Strom

awesome, thank you!! ill give him a call in the morning. im pretty sure its a bearing, but it would be great to ask a Franklin expert, and maybe get a manual or two for my machine. 

thanks again

-Sam-

Thank You Sponsors!