iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

XP Pro Product Key

Started by DouginUtah, June 15, 2009, 12:04:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DouginUtah

I have a situation which I haven't encountered before. My question is NOT about Windows Product Activation which is done through Microsoft. That is not a concern at this time.

My question is about the Product Key--the 25 character key which you enter when installing XP.

I have a valid key which came with an XP disk. If I have a newer, different XP disk will the original key allow me to install the new XP operating system?
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Warbird

blame

depands on how many times its been used to activate an installation  also you cant xp home numbers for xp pro or media

PC-Urban-Sawyer

What BLAME said plus:

Additionally, retail keys (those one boxed copies of xp sold in stores), oem keys (those on computers bought from mfgs who purchased xp to install on their hardware) and supported maintenance plan keys (those bought by businesses for installation on systems they own) all work differently and are not interchangeable. OEM keys are different from mfg to mfg and thus a DELL oem key would not work on a HP disk...

The "newer" version of xp should not have any capabilities that you can't get by first installing your original version and then updating it, including service pack 3...

Herb, who's worked professionally in computer support for eighteen years...

isawlogs

Oh Boy  ::)  I was sure you guys was talking about chainsaws and was wonderingwhat type of key was needed for um ...  ::) ::)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!