iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sharpening kasco 4 deg

Started by coppolajc10, September 15, 2017, 11:00:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlogger

When I had a drag sharpener like that and it miss some teeth I found out that I didn't have the clamp tight enough.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

bandmiller2

Deese, I never really looked is there a tapped hole on the back of the Cats Claw for 4 degrees. I have also noticed some bands have variations in tooth spacing. Sometimes if there is crud in the gullet the pusher that indexes the band will push a little too far. Usually with a new band first sharpening I will just do the face from 10 to 6degrees. Second sharpening whole gullet and tooth back is cleaned up. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Deese

xlogger, maybe you're right but I just cannot think that could be the case. But, if nobody else is experiencing this issue then you must be right. I don't clamp too hard, but hard enough that I couldn't imagine the blade slipping forward more than what the fork is pushing the blade. If anything, it would slip backwards.
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Deese

Frank, I've only ran blades through the sharpener maybe heck, 100+ times. Still learning. Things are really REALLY picking up and might go full time 2018. I am moderately attentive when sharpening blades. The blade ain't moving after the fork retracts.  The machine/cam doesn't lie. Almost every band has differences in tooth spacing. I've learned everything via sharpening on my own. I like to sharpen until the rock gently touches each tooth face, then move it downward until the rock lightly grinds the gullet. Then the next pass cleans up the backside of the toothe.
Cooks AE4P Edger

Deese

There isn't a hole for 7 or 4 deg.
Cooks AE4P Edger

coppolajc10

Any of you guys know whether WM' s offer is worth trying? Or would I be better off with new bands? Thanks.

JB Griffin

Coppolajc, I personally would cut all ties withwm ny.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

coppolajc10

JB thanks for the advice, and to others addressing this, frustrated here

Cutting Edge

Quote from: ladylake on September 21, 2017, 05:44:35 PM
   Deese
  I'd set it so the wheel goes a little lower on the first pass, looks to me like you could get the whole gullet or most of it and need only 1 pass.  Steve

Be cautious with the Blue stones while sharpening with one pass.  They wear excessively fast, even with a light pass.

As for the indexing inconsistency, take a hard look at the alignment of the advance motor/cam/push-finger unit.  It needs run INLINE with the clamp. 

Check the pin (part that actually pushes the blade) in the push-finger for wear too.

As bandmiller2 mentioned too, a little trash/buildup in the gullet can also be attributed to inconsistent indexing.

"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

bandmiller2

Sounds like that NY sharpening service, other than being arrogant, doesn't want to change the CBN wheel for one sharpening order. A serious sawyer would be best served with his own sharpener. An adaptable machine like the Cat and you can try angles and profiles that best match your mill and logs. If you bought when you started it would be paid off now and putting money in your pocket. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Chuck White

Quote from: bandmiller2 on September 22, 2017, 07:43:11 AM
Sounds like that NY sharpening service, other than being arrogant, doesn't want to change the CBN wheel for one sharpening order. A serious sawyer would be best served with his own sharpener. An adaptable machine like the Cat and you can try angles and profiles that best match your mill and logs. If you bought when you started it would be paid off now and putting money in your pocket. Frank C.

True!  I bought my Cat Claw the year after I bought my mill and kept track of the number of blades that I sharpened!  When I bought it, it was $2400.+ with extra rocks and shipping (the setter was included)!
After sharpening my 350th blade, (figured at $7.00 ea) the cost of the sharpener setup was amortized!
At that time, I was dead-even!   8)  That was part way into the second year with the sharpener!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Mooseherder

I've removed the last post because it was unfair to single out and describe people in the community.  If you have a personal beef with a business take it up with them or shop some where else if they don't meet your standards.  Public shaming them because you're disappointed is just as bad and bad form. 

coppolajc10

Sent you a pm mooseherder, but I've gotta get to work. You're doing the same thing to me as allegedly I'm doing to them  ::). It's a matter of free speech, no names were mentioned and I don't see any liability issue regarding the forum for what I post as my speech, maybe I'm wrong. Speech now is monitored everywhere ... even on this forum there is a "safe space" attitude if you're part of the WM club. It's just wrong. Let people read information and have them decide what is poor form. Censoring part of the story is bad form, in my opinion.

coppolajc10

Btw, mooseherder, I would like the post put back up or an explanation beyond "public shaming." I've seen plenty, PLENTY, of public shaming on this forum, people blasting companies like Timberking (which I can only say great things about) and admins not saying boo. I saw the manager of the hannibal location on here last night viewing this thread with the post you removed. So he obviously had a personal beef with the post and wanted it removed. Well, I'd like it put back up please.

Jeff

How about I put you back? None of our admins had contact with anyone but each other so what ever you are insinuating is bull. So, guess what, this topic is now locked and I suggest you knock it off if you want to be able to continue to use this resource. You made your point and will not be allowed to beat a dead horse. I went and read the post mooseherder removed and he was right, you were way over the line.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

One more thing. The last thing you want to do in my house is bring up "free speech"
I suggest you read this blog post in its entirety. It pretty much sums up a privately owned forum and your perceived right to free speech.
http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2009/09/free-speech-in-online-communities-the-delusion-of-entitlement/
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!