iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to convert from Taco zone valves to zone pumps?

Started by Zach Hoyt, September 11, 2012, 09:06:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zach Hoyt

We have a setup with two boilers (oil and wood) and seven zones, one for a boiler mate and six for heat.  The zones are controlled with Taco zone valves run off 24VAC thermostats.  I have been told by a couple of people that we would be better off with individual zone circulator pumps in place of the zone valves, as we tend to have trouble pushing the water through certain zones at times.  I am planning to put in Taco 007F5 pumps or something similar and and wondering what sort of control device I could use to operate the 120V pumps with 24V thermostats, or if I would be better advised to run new wires to the thermostats and replace them with 120V thermostats.  Any advice will be very much appreciated.
Zach

Logging logginglogging

you can simply get a TACO control box and use the same thermostats. Very easy to do....

beenthere

Just run the pumps off a relay that is switched on/off by the thermostats. Like said, should be pretty straight forward. I'd avoid the 120v thermostats.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Logging logginglogging

yeah, if the relay is seprate from the valve you can simply reuse that.

Holmes

Taco makes a 6 zone relay that will do the job. You will need to check the heat anticipator setting on the T stats ,if they have them, and reset them from.9 to .6 amps. Your existing Six zones require a larger circulator than a  Taco 007.  You could need an 008 or 009 to do the job, and that could be your problem.  It may be wise to check that out first.   The industry is getting away from multiple circulators and is now using zone valves with variable speed circulators that sense how fast they need to operate.
Think like a farmer.

Zach Hoyt

Thank you very much for the information.  There are two 007s currently running the system, one in each boiler return line.  I would prefer to replace the zone valves since the power heads tend to go bad with some regularity.  The other issue we have is that sometimes when multiple zones are open at once the water will all go through the zone that takes less effort and in order to push it through the more distant zones I have to shut down all of the other zones and wait for a while.  I was told that having a pump on each zone would make each zone flow when it was turned on without having to fight with it.  I found a 6 zone control at pexsupply but it seemed to say that it was for zone valves rather than pumps so I had thought it wouldn't work for this application.
Zach

http://www.pexsupply.com/Taco-ZVC406-4-3-Zone-Valve-Control-Module

Holmes

I think you want the Taco SR 506 relay , it is for circulators. The best location for the circulators is on the feed lines for each zone, but they can be installed on the return pipes if necessary.  If you install on the feed pipes you can use the 007 with built in check valve. I do not recommend 007 with check valve  on the return pipes. You could have issues trying to get the air out of the circulators and piping.    Good luck
Think like a farmer.

Logging logginglogging

Some say put them on the return lines and they are subjected to less heat and last longer.

Holmes

Quote from: Logginglogginglogging on September 13, 2012, 08:08:24 AM
Some say put them on the return lines and they are subjected to less heat and last longer.
That is the reason they used to be put on the return lines. Back in the 40's, 50's, and 60's the parts in the circulators could not handle the heat.
Think like a farmer.

Zach Hoyt

Thank you very much for the help.  The SR 506 looks perfect for our setup.  The supply lines are all together and the returns join back onto the trunk line in different spots so it seems like I would want to put the pumps in the supply. Anyway that's where all of the thermostat lines end and it will be easier to hook them up there.  Thanks a lot.
Zach

Thank You Sponsors!