STICKERS?

Started by woodman58, February 06, 2013, 10:52:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodman58

I have a couple of questions about stickers:
1) Does anyone buy their stickers?
2) What is the average price?
3) Who sells them?

I still don't have a saw mill but, I have a kiln to dry the lumber I have cut. I have to pay to have my stickers cut. It gets exspensive. They also are not exactly the same size. This is a problem asyou get higher in the stack causing some warped boards. Not bad but still a problem when trying to plane them. Your help is greatly appreciated.
i LOVE THE SMELL OF SAW DUST IN THE MORNING.
Timberking 2200

isawlogs

I don't understand ... If you are buying them, why not get them all the same size ???   :-\
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

shtickhead

^ ... or just plane them to match...

beenthere

Both stickers and boards need to be uniform in thickness.
Have you looked at ripping up some 2 com pine from the box store to make uniform stickers?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

woodman58

I realize I can plane them. I just don't want to take the time to do it. They also don't last out in the weather. I would like to find a place to buy them. The only places I have found will only sell truck loads at a time. Thanks
Timberking 2200

tyb525

I do what beenthere suggested, rip cheap 3/4 pine strips 1" wide. I always put the 1" dimension vertically in the stack for better airflow.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Kingcha

What is the best length to cut them?   Is there a standard stack size must of you use or does it depend on what you are cutting.   I am thinking 4 foot to cover a stack of just less then. 

Thanks
a Wood-mizer LT15 10hp Electric, 45hp Kioti tractor, electric smoker, wood-fired brick oven & yes a custom built Solar Kiln

tyb525

4' is just right to me, not too wide to stack the boards from one side, but wide enough to be stable when the stack gets taller.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

redbeard

spacing stickers can vary but most important is keeping your stickers lined up with first row. Picture shown is 16" and 2"-4" in from the ends. Also always have a sticker lined up with your 4x4 dunage.   Woodman have you looked at the composite drying stickers they sell? They are spend but you might be able to figure out a use charge and recoupe your initial cost .
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

pineywoods

Optimum length of stickers is best determined by the length of the forks on your skid steer/ loader. No matter how much I plan, it seems the stickered stacks are in the wrong place and have to be moved.  :-[
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

rooster 58

I have a large mill 2 miles away from me. I can buy there broken fluted stickers for next to nothing. I just sort thru the bin to gat the ones that will give me at least a 42" stick ;)

hackberry jake

I have a few 8' wide stacks... Probably not optimal, but when I was stacking them I put the stickers down, then one board. The rest of he boards slid across the first board then I just turned it over next to the first one... Bad explanation job. I guess it depends on which side of the stack you are stacking from.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

beenthere

Nothing that dictates that two short stickers (less than the pile width) can't be laid side by side to span the width of the pile.
A machine can't handle that, but a person stacking can handle short stickers easily.

redbeard
QuoteAlso always have a sticker lined up with your 4x4 dunage.

That would be good, but not happening in the pic shown, it appears. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

LarryRB

If you are going to buy them I saw in  Menard bundles of 3/4 x1 1/2 x8'  selling for .97 each stick.  It not too bad of a price.

red oaks lumber

why pay for something you can get free?
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Schramm

man just buy some cheap stock, joint it flat, plane it on the other side and run the pieces on a table saw.  Just make sure you run enough stock to accomidate the amount of stickers that you need.

woodman58

I do not have a saw mill, yet. Just a kiln. What I would like to know is where to buy composite stickers. Someplace that does not require a truck load.
I don't have the time between my full time job and my hobbies to cut them on a table saw. I did that once. It took about 4 hours to cut 500-600 stickers to get them the size I needed. My kiln holds 2 stacks, about 2000 BF.
Timberking 2200

Delawhere Jack

If you need to buy material for making stickers, you might consider 3/4 CDX plywood. Rip it into 12" wide pieces, then put those on the mill and rip stickers like you were edging boards. Cost should be close to #2 pine, but you'd have less waste. Then, going forward, save your scrap from edging boards for stickers.

Bill_G

One option is to go to sawmill auctions , great way to buy stickers cheap .

terrifictimbersllc

Home depot 8' 1x3's, rip them down the center and cut in half each gives 4 stickers uniform thickness 25-28cents each.  Dry, light colored and seldom break.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

tyb525

Stand up a bunch of boards on the mill and cut them that way. You can get as many stickers per pass as you can fit on the mill. The rougher surface won't hurt anything.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I hate sawing stickers.....and that's all I got to say in this thread.  >:(
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

tyb525

Poston, is that because you saw all the nice logs you get into stickers?? And make lumber from them ugly trees??

beenthere

woodman58 said in the OP and repeated again today...........
QuoteI still don't have a saw mill but, I have a kiln to dry the lumber I have cut

So putting boards on a mill that he doesn't have..........won't work.  ;D
south central Wisconsin

tyb525

I guess I meant, when he gets one :D

Thank You Sponsors!