iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is retirement

Started by terry f, April 08, 2012, 04:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terry f

What do you all consider retired? I know some of you may work harder runing you mill than you did working 9-5, but consider yourself retired. For me it will be when I have enough money comeing in to pay my bills, without getting out of my pajamas, and watching my little trees become big trees. I know some people will never retire. I work with a couple  of people who are double dipping (over 66), and even though they could retire, its hard to give up the money. Its more than they ever had, and I guess there is some freedom in makeing today your last day, if you din't feel like going in tomorrow.

ouachita

Well, let's see.  Most of my working life I have been a consulting forester.  When the forest started thinning out just north of Houston because they were building 600+ homes/month I started part time work with the US Dept. of Commerce, Census Bureau,  which morphed into an almost full time job.  Retiring from Census and still working as a consultant, I went to work with the USFS on the Ouachita NF.  Left there and worked full time with the 2010 Census as quality control for southern Arkansas.  Became a registered forester in Arkansas and work as a consulting forester in both Arkansas and Texas. 

I get a small pension from the Census Bureau and Social Security.  Still a consulting forester.  They will probably find my bones beside some tree or upright as I tried to fight though some vines......doing what I loved.....forestry.

Charles Westmoreland CF, RF
Consulting Forester in Arkansas and Texas

red oaks lumber

if you love what you do,who says you have to retire.i love working but if i want to take tommorrow off i should be able without the fear of not having enough money to pay the bills.
i've seen to many people cant wait to retire finally retire and yr or two later they died
to answer your question what do i consider retired, when they shovel dirt on me.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Magicman

I retired (was downsized) in 1994 when I was 51 years old.  Thankfully I had 32 years service, but it still was very unplanned.

We traveled for several years, then I went back to my cabinet shop and then started doing carpenter work.  This ultimately led to the sawmill.  I am now very content with my retired life.  I have too much to do, but that is just the way it is.  To me, it is very important to feel like you are making a contribution which will increase someone's quality of life.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Slabs

It's really simple.  Retirement is what you work for most of your life.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Al_Smith

I'm about semi retired anyway .What, skilled tradesman in an auto plant .It doesn't come much easier than that .

Oh I've got people hounding me to retire but I'm not ready yet .When I am I will .

This other stuff ,chainsaws ,small logging ,wood working and general junk yard dawg is just enjoyment .Some people play golf I don't . ;) .I told my wife I may burn out but I'll never rust up .

Patty

Retirement for me is the freedom to go after the next adventure in my life. Right now my adventure is farming, and holy cow, it is awesome!  8)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Chuck White

To me, retirement (full) is/will be when I have the ability to run my sawmill during the week when school is in session!

If things work out right and it looks like they will, that day will be 12/31/12.

I'll hang up my bus key for the last time.   ;D  8)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

It will be nice to be able to retire on your own terms.  Maybe some day we can have a cup of coffee together.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bugdust

I still remember many years back when retirement was so far into the future I just could not fathom when that day would come, but 37 years later, and finally feeling to be financially secure, I retired at 59. Now the days, weeks and months pass by so quickly I lose track of time. I finally figured that I must be enjoying life fuller now than ever before. Some call it lucky to finally retire and enjoy life, but I call it blessed. Boy, am I having a ball!
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

Kansas

I suspect for me, I will retire when I am pushing up daises. Which is the way I want it.

gspren

This past August my wife and I officially retired from the Army Research Lab where she was a secretary for 37 years and I had 30 years starting as a machinist then an Engineering Technician and finally the last 8 years I was the head of the Experimental Fabrication Shop for Weapons and Materials. A great job but during those years we bought 2 farms where we rent out the crop land and I have raised goats, pigs and a donkey. Now I get up about 6:30 without an alarm and after some coffee and watching the news I go out and cut firewood for my OWB or work on buildings and fences that are overdue for repairs and I take a break and talk to the dog whenever I want. We will do a bunch of camping with our 5th wheel trailer and just live on our own schedule, This is retirement to me and it is great, 30 acres of woodland plus hundreds of yards of wooded fencerows where I take my ATV and a little cart to cut wood when I want.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Al_Smith

My father retired at 59 years of age and said that work had gotten in the way of his hobbys ---he never really retired .

The old boy self taught himself computors .Spent several hours a day researching investments after the internet came into being and made a small fortune with his endeavers .At the same he found time to play junk yard dawg,run chainsaws and in fact souped up several in the process .

He passed several years ago from complications from a stroke but he never rusted up in his older years .At 75 years of age he helped me build my 60 by 70 shop.At 81 he felt it neccessary to help me side one of my rental houses . He was about 80 the last chainsaw he operated which at that time was a little Poulan trim saw I own .

He passed at 86 a month after I turned 60 .If I can do as good I'll feel  eternally blessed . :)

Ron Wenrich

There are 3 types of retirement.  Financial, physical and mental.  The object is to get to the point where you can have enough cash reserves that they don't have to be dependent on someone else for a source of income or to pay their bills.  Not everyone reaches that point.

Physically is when your body won't allow you to do the work.  Or the day when you physically leave the job.  Mental is when you no longer have your head in the game.  The mental part often comes long before the other 2.

Unfortunately, most times you don't get all 3 at the same time.  Sometimes you don't have enough cash, or you can't get your head out of the work. 

Retirement is usually just a career change.  But, you get to dictate the working conditions better than before.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

WDH

Retirement = being able to do what you want to do when you want to do it. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

bandmiller2

Very well said Ron.I have several random comments.You have to be honest with yourself your not going to live on social security you must have outher income to augment it,be it investments or part time job.If you can stand your regular job don't leave too early get all the bennys you can.Leave wile your still a hero,don't stay at the fair too long and start screwing up.Whats really nice is if you can get weaned away from your regular job like working two days a week.You will reach a point when you can't work a second job or even for yourself and must rely on SS and savings.Its not what you make but what you spend. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Al_Smith

My grandfather found an interesting way to turn a hobby into somewhat of a money maker .The old boy had an eye for antique furniture among other things .

One particular time he was at an estate sale and found a curved front cabinent some fool had painted with house paint ,tiger maple no less .It took him about 3 months to refurbish it but that 5 dollar investment netted him over 2500 when it sold at Garths' in Columbus Ohio .He was over 80 at the time .

The old gent was slow but the finished product was flawless after he was done with it .He did several pieces a year .In fact Garths' would occasionally call him if the had a client interested in a praticular piece because they knew good grand dad would deliever the goods .Might take him a while though .

Bill Gaiche

After working for 35 years in a coal fired electric plant,retirement is great. 6 Saturdays in a week. Just enough income from SS and pension to do most of what the wife and I want. Have done the Alaskan Cruise and will do it again in August. Thats the only one I have intrest in. My wife likes going with her friend to southeast islands, not me. We do travel some, and go skiing. Been to Canada and that was a great place to visit.
I stay busy with things that I love to do. Trying to keep our place in good shape. Doing some tractor work, backhoe stuff for neighbors and friends. Cutting wood for fire place. Cutting a few logs and making them into lumber and kiln drying  as needed for wood working projects. Seems as though someone is always needing something built. Just finished a ERC dresser for a friends place in Zapata, tx. Now he wants a headboard, Pantry, deer mount wood and a large shadow box for photos. All ERC. There is always something to do and this is what I love doing. It keeps me out of the pool halls and beer joints. Life so far has been great. Hope everyone that wants to retire can find that its as great for them as it has been for me. I believe that I have truly been blessed. bg

Stephen1

I can retire anytime.  I have been running an engine for 37 years this July, and I can honestly say I do love this job, 90% of the time. I am in a job that is seniority based and have watched a few of my mates retire and come back as junior men. They left when they could, had nothing to occupy their time, or wanted to double dip and so they are back with no seniority, no vacation, no benefits, I do not believe I will be rich from double dipping so why give up my seniority, vacation, and benefits just yet. I also do not want to retire from this job to have to make a commitment to another job unless it is on my own terms. If I leave, it is to do something new, as I know how to do this now, I can think of nothing better than running my portable sawmill, on my own time , or at least a time and commitment made by me.
That would be retirement doing something I love to do on my own time and schedule, I have lots I want to do, and it will happen in it's own time.
Patience is hard but the I find the the person with the most patience usuall ends up with the best outcome.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Ianab

Being as I'm almost 50, self employed, and also a stay at home Dad, with another due in a week or 2...

I cant see myself officially retiring, ever. Well until I can't physically or mentally do the work anyway. I would just rather saw wood and build stuff versus fighting with internet and email type gremlins.

But because I have worked with some of our clients for so long, heck some of their Sons are my friends and now taking over the family business, it's hard to leave them high and dry, even if I wanted to quit. Although I now work part time, my clients have my cellphone number. They can call me,  fix over the phone, remote access, or visit tomorrow is usually good enough. I'm certainly not going to tell them to go away when they are willing to pat $100 an hour for network support....

But I know what I would rather be doing..,

Ian

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

pineywoods

Retirement is usually a drastic lifestyle change, but I got hit with a tripple whammy..
Change # 1-- 40 years in a hi-pressure job and I was just burned out. I enjoyed the work, still do, but too much of a good thing can eventually get to a person. Company offered voluntary lay-ff with 40 weeks severance pay followed by retirement. We had no debt and the finances looked kinda tight but do-able so I took it. Don't have to go to work any more, and not on call 24/7. Look out fish..

change # 2--- Just starting to get used to #1 when the wife suffered a severe stroke,entire left side affected. six months in recovery and rehabilitation, then broken hip from a fall and she will need a support system for the rest of her life. So much for fishing trips.

change # 3--- Wife inheirited her grandparents old family farm. 250 acres of timber and a nice house. So we sold all but gave away the place in town and moved to the farm. New neighbors, new friends, new church, 20 miles to the supermarket. A cell phone makes it possible for me to get out a bit.

might as well add #4-- I traded some stuff for a manual wm lt40 and discovered this place.

As someone once said, when life deals you lemons, you make lemonade. Even with the limitations, life is good...

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

tcsmpsi

"What is retirement?"

Going to a 60 hr work week?    :D
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Magicman

And Piney, you have met them all with grand style my friend.   smiley_thumbsup

MHineman

I can't say that I'm there for retiring yet or will be soon.  I need to pay for for many of these toys..  er tools I now have.
  My dad officially retired from teaching in 1974 at age 65.  He had always farmed, but just started doing it by himself (my first year of college was in fall 1973).  He was still driving the car to town and the tractors last fall and may be able to get on the tractor again this summer.  He had a small stroke last December, but he is largely recovered from that.
  I'd consider him retired as of about 3 years ago.  He finally let me do MOST of the field work on the farm, and stopped doing very much clearing fence rows. 
  BTW, if you're having trouble with the math, he's 102 now. 
1999 WM LT40, 40 hp 4WD tractor, homemade forks, grapple, Walenstein FX90 skidding winch, Stihl 460 039 saws,  homebuilt kiln, ......

pigman

I thought about retiring a couple years ago and discovered I couldn't. I never had a job, so I couldn't retire.  I did sell the farm last year and just quit.  ;)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

fat olde elf

Great stuff !!
For over 50 years I had to show up somewhere on time, usually 8:00 AM or earlier. I also paid into Social Security for those years. Today I do not have to be anywhere at 8:00 AM and I get an electronic deposit at the credit union each month from Social Security. I always dreamed about pulling Social Security and still working at the same time. As many others have mentioned I found myself in a situation that was too good to pass up and "retired" at 64.
Several life-changing experiences had equipped me for retirement. One of my sponsees says that I am the happiest retired guy he has ever seen. I can't argue with that.  Some of that happiness comes from being able to make sawdust and subsequently being able to share my experience, strength and hope with friends on the Forum. Say your prayers 
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

trapper

my last day of work was on a friday and i started my fall trapping on saturday.  Had I been still working I would have normally started a months vacation at that time.  So begining retirement was in step with my normal year.  I started retirement 6 months earlier than I planed because of a work upheavel started by the company which ended up with a buyout for about 400 of us. Was always worried if I could afford being retired and am pleasently suprised.
not rich but comfortable.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

DanG

I retired at 57, three years earlier than I had planned.  I really enjoyed my job for the first 30 years, but in the last 4, the poultry droppings got to be more than I could stand.  I timed my departure to coincide with the payoff of our mortgage.  Being free, debt-free, and in good health for five years was fantastic.  Now, being free, up to my eyeballs in med debt and in mediocre health is still fantastic.  I think it has something to do with "free."   ;D 8) 8) 8)   oops, I think I may have pulled a muscle there.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

terry f

I like the "being able to do what you want to do when you want to do it" and "six saturdays in a week" answers. When I'm on vacation, every night is friday night and every day is saturday, until it really is, thats when I know my vacation is over. MHineman, great story, we should all be so lucky.

thecfarm

WDH, is right. I'm in hopes that I won't have to go back to work for someone else besides the wife.   :D :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

And you will have a good Boss.   :D

OneWithWood

WDH nailed it.  I would only add that you know you are truly retired when you don't know what day of the week it is and you don't care  ;D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Stephen1

I was told it is when you are wondering it is time for you to get a day off. :D
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Woodchuck53

I enjoyed reading all of the post and have a couple things to add.
I have  always worked. The family farm, local sawmills and all manner of odd jobs because of our large family. I enjoyed all of it. A freind asked me what I would do if I won the lottery. I quickly replied I would farm till I ran out of money.
I have been fortunate to work a job since 1972 where I had half the month off and a vacation too! I still work a 14 and 14 schedule and enjoy 2 weeks off a year. Great stuff. I know how blessed I was to be able to do this. And 3 years for Uncle Sam.
I am blessed with the same woman to day I fell in love with 37 years ago and we are both healthy, I had always said if I could live to 65 and brush my own teeth and clean my own rear then I figured that was a good run. Well now that I am closer to 60 than 30 I have looked at that staement a little closer.
All the things my coworkers fuss about I do as a hobby. I like to weld and mechanic. I have a few machine tools and a nice wood shop and build all my own stuff. I am currently trying to finish a rebuild on the old mill. I plan on doing this for the rest of my days.
The only thing retirement will mean to me is that I will be able to sleep in my bed every night and after being gone all over the states and the world working that means a lot to me. Can't wait for the next phase to start. Stay safe.
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

maple flats

I've had a job since I was 7, yes 7. My dad had a trucking business and sold top soil. My job was to keep the surface of the topsoil pile roto tilled. Then at 10 I got a paper route, which lasted 5 years. Then I became the custodian of my church and also mowed the cemetary of another church. I worked full time thru college, and was married the fall of my senior year. After that I worked for others for 7 years and then was self employed the rest. At age 51 I decided to retire and sold my business, BUT after just 3 weeks I decided I couldn't stand being a "man of liesure" even though I had 4.5 acres of blueberries to tend, so I got a job driving school bus. That still left me with too much free time so I started producing maple syrup. Building the sugarhouse got me into a sawmill. Now I have added a few acres of fruit trees and berry bushes to compliment my u-pick blueberry farm. I have also grown to over 1100 maple taps with plans to add another 1500 or so before halting the growth. This maple season my wife (of 45 years) said we should build a much bigger sugarhouse (we are now 16 x 24 we're thinking 24 x 36, with a cellar under part for cool storage.
We are too old to be doing all this, but we are enjoying every part of it. When we tire of one thing we have several others to do.
Retire, likely not in the near future, I enjoy everything I do. I hope to be like my dad. He retired at 62, but then worked in the woods until he was 87. Yes 87, still felling trees and bucking firewood, almost every day. He had a hydraulic wood splitter but didn't use it. He said he could split faster by a maul and wedges. At 86 and 87 he was felling, bucking, splitting, transporting and stacking about 25 full cord a year, all cut at 16". He finally died at age 91. 
I don't want to retire again until and unless health becomes an issue. At 65 I still find that many in their 20's and 30's  that I hire con't keep up with me.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

pigman

QuoteHe finally died at age 91.
See, if he  hadn't worked so hard he would have lived to be really old. ;)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Magicman

I worked two good (read younger) men into the ground yesterday.  This old "retired" man still has a bit of kick in his "giddy up go".   ;D

clww

August 31st is when I retire from the Navy with 26 years total military time.
Then I start work as a cabinet and furniture maker, with a full-time job of finishing building our log home. I'll never get finished working on all the stuff I want to do, at least not before age 90. ;D
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

PC-Urban-Sawyer

CLWW,

Thank you for your years of dedicated service to our country.

Congratulations on your forthcoming retirement from Active Duty. We all know a Chief never really retires, he just gets to the point where he doesn't have to be at Quarters to take Division Muster every day. But someone will always be looking for him (or her, since there's plenty of female Chiefs now days...) to "Ask the Chief" one more question.

If you ever get down to the Floriday Panhandle, give me a shout in a PM and we'll get together for one more Liberty Call...

Herb

clww

I was in Pensacola about 6 weeks ago for 2 weeks, PC.
Thank you for the well-wishes.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

thecfarm

clww,must be counting the days?  I want to thank you too for serving our great country.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Woodchuck53

Best wishes man and thank you for your time and sacrifice.                                      I hope not clww. My dad is 85 this past march and doesn't think about slowing down. His mom was 88 and still driving till the stroke. So stay active (sounds like you have plenty to do) and eat better and who knows you may retire again. Stay safe, Chuck
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

Thank You Sponsors!