iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Why is it

Started by Texas Ranger, May 17, 2012, 12:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Ranger

that simple jobs never stay simple?

I decided to put a small air conditioner in a room that really has little air flow from the existing AC.  So, went to lowes and bought a small AC sized to the room.  Cheap,or so I thought.

Well, the room is on an outside wall of a metal building, so I had a 13 inch wall to penetrate.  No problem, been there, done that.

Regular stud wall on the inside, so I merrily set about cutting the right size hole, 32 inches wide.  No problem, except for the conduit and 6 inch metal post in the middle of the opening.  Close it up.

But, before I close it up, i reach through and feel the next couple of studs, no conduit, no post.  Cut away, and aha, there is the metal wall ready to cut.

I make a box to fit the opening, nice, except I missed the hole for the AC unit a little.  Build another box.  Got it.

install box.  Get side grinder and start to cut metal siding.  Fire starts.  Put fire out and shield the cut area.  Cut siding.

Fit AC unit, built to install in a window opening, pull out AC unit and enlarge opening.  AC fits, except for that pesky bolt head sticking down that would normally be on the out side of the window frame.  Remove AC and drill hole for bolt to fit into, twice.

Fit AC and finish up.  Wife comes in and said, "you messed up the paint job.

I am cooling off in my office.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Jemclimber

Those jobs are meant to teach patience. I've been taught this same lesson many, many times.  I don't always have patience so I'm sure the teacher is going to keep trying to get me to learn.  ;D
lt15

thurlow

You know what the woodworkers say....................."I've cut it off 3 times and it's still too short."
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Magicman

???  What was the problem?  Sounded like a "normal" day to me.  At least a normal "my" day.    :D

At least you are now cooling it.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

Ahh yes, been there too!!

What really can frost one's ego is to find out the cheapy AC's last a year or two, and the replacements have slightly different widths and heights that don't fit into the prepared opening.

I swear the next time I will buy two, and keep one for a spare that I know will fit the same hole.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ernie

Quote from: Texas Ranger on May 17, 2012, 12:10:23 PM

Wife comes in and said, "you messed up the paint job.

Ya really gotta love them don"t  you?  It's good to know that I'm not the only one this happens to.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Den Socling

Reminds me of a plumbing job I once did. Started with a leaking trap. Every time I took something off, the corroded piece it was connected to broke. I ended up changing the whole vanity, sink, fixtures and all.  >:(

sandhills

Quote from: Den Socling on May 17, 2012, 02:43:06 PM
Reminds me of a plumbing job I once did. Started with a leaking trap. Every time I took something off, the corroded piece it was connected to broke. I ended up changing the whole vanity, sink, fixtures and all.  >:(
Trust me, you're not alone.

Texas Ranger

Beenthere, yup, I made the box big enough to accept a bigger size should it become necessary.  Or in other words, yeah, I hope the next one is easier.

SwampDonkey

Don't need AC up here, just pull the blinds and run the ceiling fan. Open the windows after sun down. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Texas Ranger

Donk, when was your last 105 degree day?  In a metal building?

Den Socling

I was visiting relatives near Abilene a couple weeks ago. They were telling me about last summer. 100+ for 100 days in a row. I'd just shoot myself!  :D

SwampDonkey

:D :D :D That's why we don't need it. Don't get that hot. Plus we use a lot of insulation in buildings, works both in heating and cooling. ;D

Now someone I know used to live in one of those trailer homes. About 2" of insulation and 3" walls. His heating bill in winter was as much as his AC bill in summer. Testament to having thick walls with lots of insulation to bring down the power bill and keep warm in winter, cool in summer. Plus if it got too bad here at the house that I couldn't stand it, I'd kick the furnace fan on manual to send some cool air up stair. I know, still not a metal building.......well I do have aluminum siding. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

TR,

That is why they make Texas Spring Water.

SD,

You would melt down here.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Yup I sure would.  :o

thecfarm

Both situations are typical at my place,the AC unit and the wife. My wife says that should only take an hour to do as I'm 3 hours into the job and still not done.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SPIKER

Sounds like my luck and at the end of the story I think it might end like
"Honest Judge I hadn't planned on killing her, it just sorta happened"  :D ::)

Ditto on the plumbing issue, we have galv pipe in the house now.   Every time something leaks there is less and less of it.    :( :-[   Hot water was the last one the drain valve started leaking a few months back (Plastic one from factory 18yr old) so I had a NEW boiler valve made at the company I worked at prior to the brass plant closing.   I shut off the house service valve by the water meter inside.   (It promptly began leaking.)   So over to the hot water tank.   Pull off the plastic shut off valve huh  came out real easy (broke right at the tank.)   OK now tank it glugging out try to get the plastic left overs out of the threads.   I had figured this might happened so had a Pipe easy-out waiting.   got it out put in the NEW (maybe 5 years old brass boiler valve) turned ON the water valve which started leaking MORE now.   go back over to the hot water tank and yep leaking worse than the plastic valve???   OK rebuild-able valve washer must have been bad.   go shut main house valve yep leaking about worse that the hot water tank was now.   go pull the NEW brass hot water tank stem and replace the washer, re-install & open up the water to the house.   Yep still leaking at the hot water tank and at the main house valve...   Off to the main and shut it off again and head to Menards for NEW boiler valve.   

get back from across town where she had to have 20 or 30 other items besides the boiler valve while the water is leaking at home into the basement.   Spent 60+ bucks and 2 hours later it is now about 10 pm still hand't gotten my shower and swapped out the boiler valves.   2nd NEW Brass valve worked and all sealed up.   

Main valve stem packing was leaking some so I tightened it slightly to stop it.   go up stairs and jump in the shower only to have no hot water, yep forgot to restart the pilot so as I'm standing on my head in wet slimy basement floor blue from cold shower attempting to get the tank gas going and I wonder WHY my woman has the nerve standing behind me to say after all this oh BTW the basement sink has been dripping too can you fix that while your at it? ::) >:( :D

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

doctorb

Do they make free-standing AC units that don't require the full-sized wall cut-out for such isolated, small-room problems.  I assume that they would need duct work and drainage too, but the size of the hole in the wall might be less of a problem.  Glad you got it done!
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

tcsmpsi

"Portable Air Conditioners".  Though I have not had one, am this year looking at them.  From what I have seen, only duct needs to be run (supplied with window fitting).  I am bringing up a new 'addition' that it might be just the ticket.
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Texas Ranger

DocB, they do, but, I am in a 100 year flood plain, and those units sit on the ground.  Every thing I do has to be 36 inches above the ground.  Kinda limits my options,

thurlow

Quote from: doctorb on May 18, 2012, 10:24:15 AM
Do they make free-standing AC units that don't require the full-sized wall cut-out for such isolated, small-room problems.  I assume that they would need duct work and drainage too, but the size of the hole in the wall might be less of a problem.  Glad you got it done!

People are forever trying to sell me (flyers, newspaper ads, etc) portable room heaters made by the "Amish"...........actually they want to give them to me, if I'll just pay the shipping.  Reckon the "Amish" also make/sell portable air conditioners? ::)
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

PC-Urban-Sawyer

I had one of those portable room AC units. Bought it to keep bedroom cool while waiting on repair of whole house AC. Really bad, wouldn't keep a 12 X 14 room even slightly cool. Took it back to SAMS and got a refund.

beenthere

Unless the heat is somehow vented outside, then the very best an in-room AC can do for comfort is lower the humidity (same way as a dehumidifier works). But they add heat.
As I see it, they cannot possibly cool the temperature in a room (unless they run on cold water supply with warm water dumping outside). The electrical energy they use will only add heat which is what is not needed when trying to cool down a room.
There are split units that have the condenser coils inside and the compressor unit outside, with only the lines connecting them passing through the walls. That is what one of my AC units is, and it works quite well for room conditioning (especially when I have no air ducting in the house). I do have one window unit in my shop that I can pipe to the master bedroom above for sleeping comfort.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

PC-Urban-Sawyer

The unit we had did have a vent that exhausted outside.

isawlogs

Now Doc,
     Ifin he was to get an on floor unit and go that way, how would you expect him to screw up the installation and get a smart remark from da boss  :-\   ??? 
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!