iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

accuset 2 install coming up, do's and don't would be great

Started by jcbrotz, June 13, 2012, 04:38:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcbrotz

Well my accuset 1 has failed, :'( well mostly anyway. the center of the screen has gone blank so I now have to upgrade to accuset 2. Who has done the install and what are the do's and don't? I will be heading up to saw here in a few minutes and just hope the accuset will still lift the head and do the auto up/down functions for one more day baby, that's all I ask from it. I know woodmizers instructions will tell everthing but, I have to ask. :D
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

MartyParsons

Hello,
A nice tool to speed up the process is a battery powered drill with a philips bit. Remove the front panel ( Key Switch) Rear panel, right side panel and remove the up down drum switch.Do not remove the wires on the switch.  Remove the old accuset box on top. You will need to remove the lid cover you will need a allen wrench.
Also remove the battery cover and the negitive terminal. Check all connections.
If you can see it write down the graidiant # from the transducer you will need these # to install in the new AC 2. The instructions from the kit will give you the other info. Step by step.
Thanks
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Bibbyman

Do it when Sparks is in his office if you get into trouble.

Good to have someone else with you to also read the directions.

Good to have space to lay stuff out.

Good to have a clean working area as small parts are hard to find in sawdust, grass or gravel.

Figure on being frustrated finding and identifying some items. Wires are identified well but not always where you can easy see the marks.

The wiring diagram helps track things down.

You're going to love the Accuset 2.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

BBTom

I have a couple old accuset panels, if anybody needs one. 

I found the switchover to be very well described in the instructions.  I suggest reading the instructions before turning a screw, so you are familiar with what you are about to do and the names of each piece. 

I like the AS2 and believe it to be a much more reliable and accurate setworks.  WM did good with the upgrade.
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

wwsjr

I installed AS2 on my LT40 Super and helped a friend install one on his LT40 Hyd. Both were remote mills requiring running cable through cat track.  Instructions provided are great. As Bibby said it is good to have someone read instruction as you complete each step. Took about 3 hrs on mine working alone, about two hours with help on the second one. I also have an old Accuset panel if anyone needs it.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

terrifictimbersllc

Getting AS2 is definitely worth it.  But don't think you'll do it in an hour.   I second laying out everything in a safe place first and reading through the instructions identifying parts, if you can hold yourself back.   :)   What I remember most was an hour spent trying to find a part and calling WM telling them that a cable was missing (there are short computer like cables to install in the electric box on the mill head) when it was not (happy ending), I just didn't understand what it was. Mine is front remote so there was careful routing of the wire in the track and out the front so it couldn't bind when the front station was swung around.  And some drilling with a hole saw provided in the kit, to mount the communication cable beneath the main box on the head.  When I finally turned it on, what a difference!  8) 8) 8)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

boman1

Peter Drouin

And make sure you get the newest program chip . I think there up to 18# or 19# 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

moosehunter

When you are putting the new box on top of your control panel ,... be VERY carefull not to pinch any of the wires  :-[
When I completed mine the circut breaker would blow when ever I tried to raise the head. Took me two phone calls to WM and a few hours to track it down.
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

jcbrotz

Well today was fairly successful I did 3000ft with the scale and some auto functions but it was a pain with half the screen missing. Having and accuset is cheating and I like being a cheater in this case. :D I have a 1000ft to do in the am then its to the garage to rip into the woodmizer. I will start with a complete alignment the hopefull the package from woodmizer shows up, I have not got a tracking # yet but most of the time I get the package them the tracking #. Marty told me it would be here on thursday so it should be here around 3-4 on an UPS truck and or 1-3 if coming FedEx. Anywho after I have dinner the mill should be running again. Not to worried about it as I was a dumb electrician in my previous life at Poop&Gamble so this will ERR should be a breeze. I will keep you all posted but I have to read up on Bibbys post on the accuset 2 to finger out how to make it do what I want it to do. 
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

MartyParsons

"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

woodyone.john

yes and not only what does it cost but what are the things it can do, i am really keen to know. is there a clip or vid of its functionalitys some where .cheers john
Saw millers are just carpenters with bigger bits of wood

Bibbyman

Glad you asked.  I did a 20 minute video overview of the Accuset 2.  It's not a professional production and I just made it up as I went along.  So you get what you pay for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1mzRYJ1vHQ
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

woodyone.john

thanks for that bibbyman,i hope woodmizer keeps you well stocked with blades or other consumables,you must be their best pr outside the factory and not to mention all the help you offer all the other millers world wide .thanks again.cheers john
Saw millers are just carpenters with bigger bits of wood

jcbrotz

Thanks Bibby I was reading your post on programming the accuset when I saw you posted this. I got the package last night but I had case of dragging butt. I am headed out to do the alignment now and then replace the accuset. It looks pretty straight forward, the wifey is gunna man the manual and go step by step. Looks like I'll have a few pieces for someone if they need them to Sell/pay it forward/donate to the forum. I also got the fuse block upgrade dont know if its worth it or not but it is pretty. Marty recommended them so I got them I just wish I got extra fuses me didnt think of it ??? at the time.

As far as pricing goes I know it has alot to do with your mill you will have to call and get a price from Woodmizer but finger 1500-2000 and you will be in the ballpark.

jcbrotz

Well its in and functioning. It took longer to change the fuse holder setup than it did the accuset. 2 hours for the fuse holder, Note to self new maintance item the fuse box will hold ALOT of sawdust and with that moisture, which inturn will rust the terminals on the hyd sol. causing the terminals to snap off and the power cable to fall apart, worst part is my hydraulics have been moody lately. Glad I am a horder and had a spare sol other wise I would have been up the pervibal creek without a paddle. I even impressed myself on changing the accuset in under an hour. this included the time it took to "test" my old accuset 1 that failed a few years back. It atleast lit up and functioned but it did not want to go down only up so I guess its still bad or atleast wont work with the other componets I changed when I changed it. Anyway I am happy with the new accuset I will pull it out of the garage tomarrow and set it up and saw a few logs to see if I can get used to the accuset before I go back on the road monday for what looks like a week between the 2 jobs I got lined up.

Thanks again Bibbyman for the write up it helped me alot I almost feel like a pro after watching you.

Bogue Chitto

How many hours on your accuset before it went down?

jcbrotz

Not exactly sure I didn't write it down and have a bad memory :D I believe it had between 400-600 hours on the mill when I replace it. so it would be around 1500'ish or so. I could not live without the accuset just having to saw for a day with it not functioning correctly was enough for me to want to smash something, :o I am still waiting to put it in the driveway and run it over with the skidsteer, just for the agrivation it caused me this week. I am looking forward to getting the mill out and using it just gotta finish the alignment up tonight or in the am whichever happens first.

jcbrotz

Well my first report is very good 8) 8) I still have some  :P to do on the accuset but it is much more user friendly than the old one was. Hope to get 10 years of service out of this one. I still have lots to learn but its looking good. I am still suprised how easy it was to change I was expecting more parts and time than what it involved but am very happy so far. I will report back in the next week or so with an update, as I will be on the road sawing most all of the next week.

Magicman

Your experience is encouragement for those of us who are still running SetWorks.   :P
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!