iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is it?

Started by DPatton, March 23, 2019, 11:51:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DPatton

I had an opportunity to score some logs from trees being cleared in my neighborhood. I'm not familiar with the one in the pics below. Any guesses from this main trunk bark pic?

Z

Or here's a peek at some branches and buds.

W

Z

Also a look at what's inside.

Z

W

F
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

cliffreaves

I would guess walnut, but I know very little.

WDH

Opposite branched.  Ash. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DPatton

Danny, 
I have no clue what it is but the heartwood is very dark. I've personally never seen an ash where I live with this type of color. Albeit my experience with ash is almost always green ash. This was a planted yard tree so not necessarily native to my area. 

Cliffreaves,
I would say no to walnut. Yes the heartwood is similar in color to walnut but that is where similarities to the other black walnuts on this property ends as the bark, branching, and buds are different.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

D & S Sawmill Services

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

DPatton

D & S Sawmill Services

cliffreaves

I learned long ago not to doubt WDH.  :)

DPatton

Opposite branching puts it in the MADCap Horse category. However when I look at the new buds in photo 3 I see alternate bud growth. 

D & S Sawmill Services

WDH

Confusing for sure.  Bark sure looks elmy.  The opposite branching at the top of pic #2 may be a red herring.  The key is to determine if it is really opposite branched or alternate branched. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Southside

Quote from: DPatton on March 24, 2019, 12:07:39 PM
Quote from: Southside logger on March 24, 2019, 10:29:03 AM
Does it stink?
If it does I didn't specifically notice it.
Guess I need to ask how bad do you stink then?  :D
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

DPatton

:D :D :D Depends who you ask southside.

D & S Sawmill Services

hacknchop

"Looks like some of the Elm we have around here" not. 
I like to say that cause where I  am Elm is scarce most guys don't recognize it, and if I  keep saying Elm someday I might be right.
You what Dr Phil says "even a broken clock is right twice a day "sounds like good odds to me.
Often wrong never indoubt

stavebuyer

square1

Draw a knife on edge across the bark.  If it's dark underneath it's walnut. Buds look altetnate, also would make walnut a possibilty. Twigs look to thick to be elm from around here anyway. 

WDH

Good point on the stoutness of the limbs. 

If walnut, split a twig and the pith will be chambered with obvious dividers.  The inner bark will be bright sulfur yellow.  Stavebuyer may be right about walnut.  If so, that pith will be noticeable chambered.  Easy to check.  Also, in the first pic, the inner bark does appear to be bright yellow. 

pith in black walnut - Google Search

scsmith42

Sure looks like black walnut to me, but I'm not one to go against Danny!

One thing that struck me was how far off center the pith is in the photo that you posted.  Looks like either limb wood or an extreme leaner.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

TKehl

Siberian Elm can have bark and color like that.  But the twigs are WAY off.  They sure look like Walnut to me with the thickness and sparsity.  The Siberian Elm would have numerous slender tips.  The bark cross section is also very dark like Walnut, which I think is lighter in Siberian Elm (only cut a few and never looked real close though).  

I'm voting Walnut with maybe 75% confidence level.   :)  Wouldn't be the first one to fool me with weird bark.   ;)
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Southside

Quote from: WDH on March 24, 2019, 08:19:32 AM
Opposite branched.  Ash.
Wait!!  Is't always Ash. Now you say Walnut --- How can it be?   This is the only thing that comes to mind... :D

Mass Hysteria
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

timberking

My eyes saw walnut and splitting the twig will confirm or not.

Woodpecker52

Looks like walnut, IDing  will all become clearer in about 2 weeks when the leaves come out .
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

KEC

The last 2 photos appear to be of 2 different species, one of which looks like walnut.

WDH

Just one simple twig split at the pith.  "Just one simple twig", he said. 

DPatton

Quote from: KEC on March 25, 2019, 08:59:02 PM
The last 2 photos appear to be of 2 different species, one of which looks like walnut.
Nope, I guarantee that they are both from the same main stem of the tree. The big single log end was just 4'-5' below the multi crotch piece in the picture before it.

D & S Sawmill Services

low_48

My Dad would have called it Pi double S Elm. 

DPatton

Quote from: WDH on March 25, 2019, 10:09:57 PM
Just one simple twig split at the pith.  "Just one simple twig", he said.
I hear ya knocking big guy but I'm afraid were all going to have to wait till I can split the pith on the log. The excavation contractor pushed all of the brush into a pile the day after I cut the logs. I will take pictures and update you all then. 

D & S Sawmill Services

Thank You Sponsors!