iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A repurpose

Started by Jeff, January 06, 2019, 02:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I finished up a project this morning. Ive never had a gun cabinet so my guns have always lived in cases in the back of various closets. I cant ever remember what gun is in what case and what closet, so its a scavenger hunt each time i need one. This hunting season has ended and i was determined to do something about it

I started pricing gun safes. OUCH. Way beyond my budget. I didnt want to build anything in, and i dont have the materials or shop to build furniture like a gun cabinet so that was ruled out, so i went looking a week ago with Tammy for something that might work. We went to box stores, furniture stores, second hand stores like habitat and goodwill. Couldnt find anything suitable or in my price range. (Cheap!)  We actually found a nice gun cabinet in a second hand store, but it was configured for just 6 guns max. No sense having only some of the guns taken care of so passed.

The 15th place we stopped, (we counted back) i found what i was looking for although I didnt know that until I found it. It was an old antique dresser/closet. Sometimes called a gentleman's wardrobe. It was a bit rickety and absolutley filthy, but i was sure it would work after measuring it up with my pocket tape.  They want $150, and I got them down to $100 plus tax. The guy told me there were no keys for it, but it was unlocked.

So we hauled it home last weekend and I spent Sunday cleaning it up and tightening all the hardware and repairing weak joints.
Tammy is still off for Christmas break, so Wednesday when we were out, on a whim, we stopped in Clare at the antique mall. We went through the entire place looking to see if we could find any old barrel keys. They look like a skeleton key but have a hole in the end that fits over a pin in the lock. We found 5 keys. 4 different keys, and one duplicate. They were different prices, but they came to a total of twenty bucks. No idea if any of them would work.  We finished up at the grocery store and headed home. I let the dogs outside, then headed for the cabinet. First try. Nope. Second try. No luck. Third key. Drat. 4th key. EUREKA! And it was the key with a duplicate!

Thursday i went on looking online for something to use for a barrel rest. On Amazon I found a 10 gun plus shelf rest for $14. 2 day free delivery. It came yesterday afternoon. I also had a battery LED light bar laying in a junk drawer, so now i had all my components. Oh, two more things. A couple small 4/4 pine boards to use as anchors behind the cabinet to anchor the shelf rest too.  Walah! I think it works great!

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

goose63

Jeff that looks good. Do I see 2 lever guns  in there?
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Jeff

Yes, both marlin 35 remington. One was my Dads. He got it free at Godwins furniture in 1965 for buying a soda loveseat and chair ensemble. I shot my first buck with that gun in 1975. Dad's gun is the shorty.

The other 35 I purchased after having to give up my beloved 444 due to recoil versus my repeated shoulder surgeries.

moosehunter

Does one of those lever guns have new stock?   :D
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Jeff

Quote from: moosehunter on January 06, 2019, 04:30:33 PM
Does one of those lever guns have new stock?   :D
Ba ha ha. ;)
No, in fact it does NOT have a new stock thanks to @chet 

thecfarm

I like that piece of wood!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Old Greenhorn

Nicely done! I find myself also in need of similar type storage and I love your idea. However I would need more than several of these to cover the need. I will keep looking and thinking. Your neat idea gives me hope and tells me I should open my mind a bit. Nice work.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

chet

Jeff,
ya shoulda called THIS  thread,  "I'm so cheap"  :D  Just kid'n, great job on da gun cabinet.  It's been awhile, I done did furgot all about da gun stock fix.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Jeff

Still using it after the fix. Its even killed a few deer  i need to see if i can find the story.

mike_belben

That came out nice.  

A friend of mine has a vintage pepsi machine in his basement pool room mancave.  Hidden keyhole on side, filled with guns instead of soda.
Praise The Lord

DPatton

Photo is blurry but I see an 12 gauge 870 on the far right. Trying to figure out what the one on the far left is? That's to funny you lucked out on the key thing.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Texas Ranger

Down this way they are called  shifarobe, shift or robe.  Bought this one years ago and did the same thing till I out grew it, now my wife's storage locker.

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Jeff

That ones a lot nicer and larger than mine.

There are three 870s in there. The gun to the far left is a singleshot Daisy 22 rimfire rifle. It has a stainless sleaved, octogon barrel.

Texas Ranger

Got that one out of an old lawyers auction, walnut, and had the same problem with keys.  Still a problem.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

chet

Quote from: Jeff on January 06, 2019, 10:28:48 PM
Still using it after the fix. Its even killed a few deer  i need to see if i can find the story.
OOPS in The Outdoor Board

Still can't figure out why ya would own up ta dat 'tragic incident' ta dis bunch.   ;D

And even worse yet, bring it up agin tirteen years later.    :D  :D  :D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Chuck White

Nice looking gun cabinet Jeff!

The bad part about gun safes is, they don't "comfortably" hold the number of guns as advertised!

A 24-gun safe will comfortably hold 12 guns, etc.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

petefrom bearswamp

Great project Jeff.
Stupid me I tossed one of these that my dad gave me on my burn pile about 15 yrs ago.
A friend was driving to my mill, saw it and salvaged it.
It now looks great.
Another blunder to add to my long list of such.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!