iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Belt tensioning trouble...

Started by 5quarter, June 07, 2012, 11:59:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5quarter

One of the things I neglected to do on my mill originally was to install a proper tensioning system so I can idle the blade when its not in the wood, among other things. well, after rebuilding my starter motor a couple months ago, I resolved to add a tensioning system. piece of cake, right?

Wrong. I have had just one problem after another trying to get it to work. Unlike a mower deck that is horizonal and just needs support to keep the belt in the same plane as the pulleys, A vertical system with the drive pulley on top does not like to release from the drive pulley when the idler is disengaged. plus the belts are thrown every time the belt goes slack. This is proving to be a real frustration since I expected to fab it and bolt it up with no real problems. Any advice is welcome, and especially close up pictures of your system if your saw uses a tensioner. I'm about ready to throw the B-59s back on and say the heck with it... >:(

Thanks guys.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

ladylake

How about a electric clutch.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

bandmiller2

5Q,if you can show us a picture of what your trying to do.There are two ways to clutch with belts,rock or slide the engine or have an idler pulley tighten the belt.I assume your trying the idler.The whole secret is you must support the belt when its slack.What you should do is engauge the belt like your milling then build a guard around the bottom and back just clearing the belt.When you slack the belt it drags on the guard and and is loose around the top driving pulley.Kinda hard to describe but you need to have it loose around the drive pulley when dissengauged. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!