iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pollen, allergies, brush-hoggin’, and living in Missouri.

Started by Bibbyman, May 23, 2010, 02:15:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

You'd think I'd take the advice of a wise old man (myself) and do my brush-hoggin' in the winter time.  But no..

(Late May) As I drove across the hayfield on the way to the brush filled upper meadow field,  I could see the bucket on the front loader hitting the fescue and orchard grass heads.  A little puff of smoke (pollen) would come out of the head each when the hit.  Each was like a firecracker going off without the noise.

I got to the area to be restored and cranked up the brush-hog.  The field was clogged with buck brush, weeds, multi-floral rose, wild plum, buckeye, thorn, and a hundred other useless things – much as tall as the hood of the tractor, some as tall as the canopy on the tractor.  It wasn't long before I had to stop and tend to a coughing and sneezing fit.  Yes,  pollen bothers me some, but not enough to stop me or have a need for medication.  But this was a massive dose.  It took me a while to get my respiration system functioning again.  I thought I was going to have to give it up and go to the house. But I decided to try the more open area where there was more grass.   I could stand that but the pollen was still coming up in clouds.  I got most of the area done before giving up and heading back the house, my face and arms coated with pollen and other dusts.

I've brush-hogged probably 10 acres of old pasture and around hay field edges since early spring.  Early spring wasn't too bad.  But by now the growth is much bigger and apparently the height of pollination.  In this little field I chased out two box turtles, seen a small dead snake I suspect was non-poisons, and seen a copperhead that I'm sure got away.

I've long come to the conclusion the best time to brush-hog would be in late winter.  The weeds and grass have fallen, foliage is off the brush, and you can see obstructions like stumps and rocks.  The only problem is getting out there and getting it done.  The hours of daylight is short and it takes most of them just to take care of things to survive.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Magicman

I use this one sawing and bushhogging.  I got mine from a different supplier, but a little searching will find the best price.

http://www.goodmart.com/products/940234.htm

The "exhalation valve" is the trick.  It allows moisture to escape and not clog up (wet) the mask.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tom

I used to keep one of those big bandannas in my pocket, or tied around my neck, when I took the bush hog out.  That is, when I could remember.   Pull one of those up over your mouth and nose and it does a pretty good job too.  I doubt is as good a job as the mask, but it makes pretty good back-up if you get into the habit of carrying one. 

We used to always have one when I was a little boy.  You couldn't  play Cowboys and Indians without a kerchief.  Seems I quit doing it when I grew up.  Nobody wants to play anymore.  :D

OneWithWood

Quote from: Tom on May 23, 2010, 06:43:23 PM
  Seems I quit doing it when I grew up.    :D

That, right there, was your mistake  :D :D :D :D :D

I have worked very hard a not growing up - bugs some people but I like it  :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Texas Ranger

Yup, and I got many a year on ya, OWW.  Tom, I still carry a bandanna, for a do rag.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Thank You Sponsors!