iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ya'll Stay Safe Out There...

Started by ayerwood, December 14, 2013, 12:40:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ayerwood

As some of you know, I am in the process of building a shop to support our family's logging/milling operation in western Washington.  The last few weeks, off and on, I have been milling and putting up my cedar siding.

Well, yesterday afternoon I had a little accident.  While putting up some spacers for my board and batten, I fell and got a concussion.  Although I have been up on tall ladders, a telescopic left, and my tractor bucket for the higher places in the build a thousand times during the last several months, I may have gotten a bit too comfortable.  Yesterday afternoon I took a tumble and everything from that point of the fall through last night is a blur.  Except for a few sore ribs and a hurt pride, I feel much better today.

I guess I just wanted to reiterate to all my fellow FF members...be careful out there.  It only takes a fraction of a second to get hurt in our lines of work.  Whether building structures, falling trees, working with large equipment, mills, chainsaws, etc., be aware of everything out there at all times.  Wow...I sound like my mother.   :o

beenthere

ayerwood
Sorry to hear about that fall. And I sure hope the concussion clears up soon.
Did something break or just make a wrong step?  If'n ya even know.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

I wish you the best for your recovery.  Spills are no fun.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

Hope you get feeling better soon,  and you are right, things happen in a hurry, like walking on ice,,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Chuck White

Sorry to hear of your accident ayerwood, but thanks for the reminder!

Get well soon!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

That is quite the building you have there. I had forgotten about it until now. That is nothing to take lightly. Be careful.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ayerwood

beenthere,

I wish I knew.  Through the fog of it all, I think I just fell.  I was working up about 12'-14' in the bucket of my tractor.  I went back yesterday with my father to try to do some detective work and after looking around, that is all I could come up with.  It is kind of creepy that I am missing some time.  I am glad I had the sense to call my parents nearby for help.

I will add to that "dream shop" thread soon with some updates and pics.

After a great night of sleep, I am feeling much better today.  Thanks all for your kind words.

samandothers

Sorry to hear of your fall. 

I know I too will use the grapple as a work platform.  I try to think about my moves before I make them since I am doing something out of the ordinary for me and not recommended normal use of that equipment.  I could see getting a bit complacent or in hurry and making a wrong step or move that would lead to unwanted results.

Thank you for sharing and helping to re-iterate the importance of thinking about our actions and planning in safety.

Thank You Sponsors!