iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My timber frame build

Started by Ljohnsaw, April 22, 2013, 01:25:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GRANITEstateMP

John,

Did you have to move any of you stacks of wood to get the posts in?  I'm not usually smart enough to think that far ahead!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Ljohnsaw

That back stack of beams, it was about 8" over the middle and far brackets.  Fortunately, I have this:

With a little blocking, I was able to lift one end at a time and slide it back.  The stack is too heavy to lift as a single unit with the pallet jack.  The front stack of 1x cedar planks was stacked so the bracket was accessible.  A couple months ago, there was a 7'+ tall stack of 2x10 & 2x8s there that was too close to the bracket.  They were removed and flat-stacked elsewhere.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Ljohnsaw

Update 11/19/2018:

No pictures and not a lot of progress - I've just been getting questions as to what I've been up to.  I received a few cedar logs from my neighbor and milled them up into 1x interior siding and some 4x deck boards.  A week and a half ago, I was just getting started in the morning and took a weird step and turned - and my lower back cramped up.  :-\ Took about 5 days to clear up.  All good now.

Talked with another neighbor (campground) about clearing some trees along the easement to my property.  He gave me the go-ahead  8) and we took a big cedar down this past Saturday.  While cleaning up branches, by buddy was pointing out the oil filter for the hydraulics was dripping a little.  As he played with the levers, it went POP, blew the rubber seal out and shot about 4 ounces of hydraulic fluid just past the back of his head!  The filter was cocked a little and was nearly impossible to remove.  I'm thinking the last person to service it cross threaded it. >:( 

Spent a couple hours running down a new filter and cleaned up the threads as best we could.  Put it on and moved the SkyTrak out of the way.  I pulled the manifold/bracket off to take to the hydraulic shop this morning (closed on weekends) and bought a new one.  Took that up, installed and all works great.  But then the driving was slow. :-\  Checked and the tranny fluid was low.  So back down the hill to buy some and another filter.  Under the film of oily dust I found another, bigger filter.  Figured I might as well replace that one while I'm at it. ::)  Too late to go back up today.

Today's total work accomplished, moved one 12' log.
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Ljohnsaw

Update 11/27/2018:

The plan for the day was 1) replace the main hydraulic filter, 2) add oil to the transmission, 3) move three logs from a week and a half ago, 4) pull the sawmill head/put on little trailer and take home, 5) return to get flatbed trailer and load with 1x cedar and 4x6 brace stock to work on over the winter.

The roads were clear so I had high hopes that the snow melted that fell on Thanksgiving.

Well, change of plans.  I got 1, 2 and 3 done right away.  I have huge piles of slabs to burn and they lifted the burn ban today!  Time to get started...
Before

And after

I didn't touch the big pile in the back but still burnt up about 1/2 the total.  While waiting for the coals to burn down, I got my ATV out and retrieved the trailers and put the sawhead on the little trailer to take home.  The flatbed is at the top of the hill so it should be easy to retrieve if I don't get too much snow this week.  What a mess.  I also put the biggest log on the mill so it will be ready when the snow melts.  I got to do some ice ballet with the SkyTrak.

It was alternating between snow, sleet, rain and heavy snow all day.  Snow expected for the next 3 days.  Up to two feet at my elevation. :-\  I may be done for the winter now.
John Sawicky

Magicman

OK, so button it up and we will all be anxiously awaiting the 2019 melt and you resuming your build.  Be safe.  smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishfighter

So little time with just so much to do. Hope you reached some of your goals. Such a sweet place you have there, in the long run, keep thinking what it will be like thru this winter. ;D

Till next spring, I am waiting on up dates. 8)

Ljohnsaw

12/3/2018

One of my neighbors decided to go up this past weekend.  Saturday I80 was closed for  bit as too many spin outs so I think they went up Friday.  Sunday, she took this picture of my place.  The sill showing on the left (for the deck) is 6" thick so I'm estimating the snow at about 18".

Next storm is due tonight with daytime temps in the low 40s, overnight in the upper 20s.
John Sawicky

Ljohnsaw

Update 12/18/18:

Sunday we had a big, warm storm.  Got almost 2" of rain at my house.  Doppler showed the snow level about 1,000 ft above my property Sunday night.  So I figured a lot of rain up there.  Went up today and no evidence of rain, just another 3 or 4" of snow.

I was hoping to pull my trailer out but I didn't dare take my 2wd truck down that road!  This is looking up a pretty good hill.  The snow was even deeper on the easement to my property - probably 18" in places, zero under some trees..  One of the neighbors plowed the road on Saturday before the  last storm.

John Sawicky

Magicman

All of your stuff looks cold.  whiteflag_smiley
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Woodpecker52

nice site, but yikes the fire hazard, I think I would do some heavy thinning.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Ljohnsaw

The second to last picture is the main road and I have no control over that.  All the vegetation will be a minimum of 100 feet away from my structure.  The first picture with the snow covered pines on the other side of the foundation are already 25 to 50 feet away but will be coming down - they are unhealthy from the drought/pine beetles.
John Sawicky

ppine

Sounds like you have a plan and are making progress. 
As a forester, I would make the observation that those woods are trashed up with standing dead, and a lot of organic matter on the ground.   The density of the live trees is too high.  One of you projects before the summer dry season , should be to clean up the area around your build site.   Otherwise you will have little fire resilience. 
Forester

Ljohnsaw

Looking back to reply #407, there is a picture of my SkyTrac in early December.  Today, the rear of the boom is just peeking out:

My cabin foundation that was visible back in December (reply #406) is only slightly visible today:

And finally, my tool shed made from a truck body that stands 9' at the top of the door that you can see in the last picture of reply #403:

John Sawicky

Magicman

I believe that you will have a bit more waiting time before your work can begin.  :-\

firefighter ontheside

Is there still snow up there?
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Ljohnsaw

I plan on heading up next week to check it out and hopefully burn the rest of my slabs.  The traffic cameras located 10 miles past my cabin property and 100' higher in elevation still show huge piles on the sides of the road from the plows.  They are in full sun during the daylight hours.  My property is on a north slope with heavy shade.  I'm willing to bet I have a few feet left. :-\
John Sawicky

Ljohnsaw

Update 5/3/2019:

Made it up the hill today because I heard the campground had the road plowed.  I still can't get to my property so I parked in the "overflow" lot for the camp ground.  They brought up some trailers for the staff to use and decided to scrap them at the end of last year.  The guy never picked them all up, three of them like this.  This will buff out, I'm sure ::)

My SkyTrak is free of the snow but it's not going anywhere soon.

I took the picture in the morning.  That's my flat bed trailer in front of the SkyTrak - it looks like the jack is bent.  By the time I left at 6 pm, my heavy duty ramps were free of snow.
My log arch didn't fair so well...

Still 4 to 5' of snow to melt before my mill will be usable.  That's a big cedar on the mill bed.  Five feet of snow at the shed.

My plans for the day are to just burn up the couple cords of slabs, which I completed.

The snow did a number on my wood pile covers - but the wood still looks ok.

Amazing what snow can break.

Kind of looks like a wave hitting some rip-rap at the beach!

I took a drive into the campground to see what trees they marked for me to take.  This is what the roads look like.

Never made it to the target trees - didn't plow far enough.  This is what did the plowing.  Quite the machine! :o

A 6 cylinder on the back for the snow thrower and another 6 cylinder for the tractor.
John Sawicky

fishfighter

And I am sitting outside and it's 87f here. :(

sawmilllawyer

I feel your pain it is in the 70s here.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

Ljohnsaw

Update 5/16/2019:

Welllll, I was planning on heading up to work on my property Friday since the snow should be about gone.  Forecast calls for storming though the weekend off and on.  This is just past my place this morning:

And a little further up...

:-\
John Sawicky

clww

I keep telling some of the new truck drivers that winter ain't over yet, by any stretch. There it is!
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

firefighter ontheside

Winter is persistent in the mountains....isn't it.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

fishfighter

Any up dates? Winter is sure over here. 95F yesterday. :o

Ljohnsaw

Temperatures down the hill have been roller-coasting over the last few weeks between mid-60's to mid-90's.  There have been afternoon thundershowers up the hill most every day with no new snow.  Temps up the hill are typically 10 to 15° cooler than down here with overnight lows 15 to 20° lower.  Looks like the white stuff is all gone now. 

Heading up tomorrow with my sawmill head to check on any damage to my track and to get things de-winterized.
John Sawicky

fishfighter

Thank You Sponsors!