iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Transporting bands

Started by WV Sawmiller, July 25, 2015, 10:33:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

A while back I asked folks how they transported their bands/blades. Got good responses. Some used factory cardboard boxes, some made similar boxes out of luaan and the famous magic can.

After reviewing all the input I decided to build several boxes the size of factory flat packs. Built open ended boxes same size as factory box with a divider to put new on one side and used on other. This was hard to transport so I rebuilt using 1X2" strips for sides/ends, hinged on one end and with rope handles on the other end. When you lift by both ropes the boxes stay closed. One mistake was too small as the 1X strips used up 4" off factory size which was already awful tight. Also screw in luaan tore out because of the weight.

I rebuilt today for 3rd and hopefully final time by removing the sides and replacing with 8" longer ones and an extra 8" piece of luaan on each side. Probably slightly bigger than needs to be. I cut 2"X4"X4" blocks into 45s for each corner. and put window frame style sides over the luaan  so the screws don't pull out. I now use 2 boxes. One has 4 & 10 degree bands. Other has 7 degree bands and space for used bands. To use I carry by the rope handles, stand on hinged end to open and open both sides so each set of bands stays on its side of the box. Transports easily in back of my P/U and can take out and open on the ground or on tailgate. Can stack on and around it with little wasted space. Easy to open and select desired band. See pictures above of an open and a closed box.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

dboyt

Good design.  Practical & they'll last a long time.  I never did get the hang of folding up blades like that, but I've heard that it's easier on the blades than coiling them.  Thanks for sharing.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Shadevalley

Wood is good!

Thank You Sponsors!