iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Most Expensive Cherry In History!

Started by ranst4038, October 13, 2013, 11:39:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ranst4038

First the transmission burned up on my 1995 Astro with 170,000 mile Tuesday at 11pm trying to get over Bald Eagle Mt to Williamsport. My Sister following me in the Windstar towing Lumbermate thought it was starting to drizzle till she turned on the wipers and was driving blind soaked with burned transmission fluid. Please don't get me started with AAA!

Wednesday went back with 1998 117,000 mile 3 liter Windstar to recover the trailer before someone stole it. First hill I was down to 40 mph running on 4 cylinders. Had to drop the trailer at Trout Run and transfer just the saw parts. Still running on 4 cyl most of the way to cabin.
Thursday got $220 bill to find out the valves are stuck because the heads are shot.
But Brother-in-law arrived with rescued trailer and we started sawing.

Got 4 logs sawed with the rusty blade that came on saw but it was starting to cut hard and bad so changed to first of 2 new blades for fifth log. Wiped out both of them in 10 minutes on 4 16 penny.

And that's what we got on our first attempt.

And that's what's left for round two.

I'd like to live just long enough to be there when they cut off your head and stick it on a pike as a warning to the next 10 generations that some favors come with too high a price. I want to look up into your lifeless eyes and wave like this. Vir Coto 2nd Season ; In the shadow of Z'ha'dum

mesquite buckeye

Those look like old 40d nails. Bet it had a no hunting or trespassing sign on it once. :(

Cherry is purdy. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Glad you had a wonderful day.  ;D

I had bad days too....but I think you just topped mine.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

ladylake

3/4 or 1 ton pickups work good for towing heavy loads.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

drobertson

Sounds like a heck of a trip, and sawing, at least you got her done!,  nice work,    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

clww

After that trip, the only way for you to go is "UP"! ;)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Nomad

Quote from: clww on October 13, 2013, 07:24:24 PM
After that trip, the only way for you to go is "UP"! ;)

X2!  You just redefined the "bad" in "bad day."  Hang in there; that cloud still has a silver lining.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

1woodguy

That roller coaster ride was down hill
Some of us are lucky I hit them down hill runs that seem to last and last :D
Sometimes the ride takes awhile to go back up.
Experience is a rough teacher first you get the test later comes the lesson!

GDinMaine

Just four weeks ago on my way to a road job I notice something in the mirror.  It was like a haze behind me. That's odd. Thinks I.  Then I look at the dash and there is no OIL pressure.  Immediately pull over and shut off the truck.  I get out to see that oil is dripping from the entire underside of the truck all the way to the tail-gate and the entire mill is black, coated with nice black diesel engine oil.  The lucky thing was that I noticed right away and didn't fry the engine.
The low point was sitting on the road side waiting for the tow truck. 

Then my neighbor/friend - whom I called to ask getting the mill back home - shows up with his truck.  On the way he says: "Why don't you reschedule your jobs for tomorrow and the day after.  I don't need my truck for a couple of days. "

That is when things started going better.  Using his truck I hauled the mill and sawed the two jobs.
All the money went into the truck and then some.  It was an oil cooler line that cost $700 plus labor and towing.  It mattered little tho.  I was poorer, but happier as things ended on a high note.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

NMFP

Give me a call the next time your in the area.  Your only 35 minutes from my facility.  Broken down along the road with a mill is not a good thing to deal with.  Had a tire blow out on the flatbed a year ago while going to Blossburg with the mill.  Not easy to deal with when you have trucks and cars passing you at 70 mph while your dealing with a mess!!!

nk14zp

Belsaw 36/18 duplex mill.
Belsaw 802 edger.
http://belsawsawmills.freeforums.org/

mdjblacksmith

Where are you out of? Williamsport isn't far from me in Troy, PA.

NMFP

I am from Muncy Valley and it looks like Ranst4038 is from York area.

dboyt

Congrats... you've paid your dues.  People are usually surprised when I tell 'em that the most dangerous part of running a portable sawmill is getting it to and from the job site.  Hope you have clear sailing from here on.  Ever think about putting the LumberMate on wheels?
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: dboyt on October 16, 2013, 10:29:06 AM
Congrats... you've paid your dues.  People are usually surprised when I tell 'em that the most dangerous part of running a portable sawmill is getting it to and from the job site.   Hope you have clear sailing from here on.  Ever think about putting the LumberMate on wheels?

Good point. I usually tell them it's ten times safer than running a chainsaw, but I like your line better. I'll be using it, often.

Thank You Sponsors!