Lug nut resque

Started by Jim_Rogers, June 22, 2013, 06:19:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

Yesterday my mechanic showed up to work on one of the trailers that I gave him in a swap for working on my stuff.
It was an old ski-mobile trailer that my father had built for his skido back in 1972. The plate on it had a 1983 sticker on it. So that was the last time it was on the road.

The tires were flat, of course, but I have given him two spare rims that I had. He got two new tires and put them on the spare rims.

Well, those lug nuts haven't been off that trailer probably since 1972, as I don't ever remember us getting a flat on the trailer.

Of course they were very rusty.

I suggested he put some "oil" on them before we tried to get them off. He searched his mechanic's truck for a can of spray oil and couldn't fine one of the five he said he had.

I said: "I've got some blue creeper!"

He asked: "what's that?" "It sounds like something you'd go to see the doctor about  :o "

I got out my bottle and put some on the end threads of all lugs on both sides of the trailer, while he was getting out some tools to take the flat tires and rims off the trailer.

He put a large four way lug wrench on the first nut and "wow" it spun loose.
Then the next, and the next, on and on till all were off. Once side then the other.

We didn't even have to get out the torch to heat them up.

Afterwards we put "blue creeper" on the threads of the lugs and he put the spare rims with new tires on and tightened down all the lugs.

Blue creeper did it's job. Thank you blue creeper.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Tam-i-am

great news!

glad bluecreeper was there to help.
Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

beenthere

It is what I have come to expect from the Blue Creeper.  8)

Removed the front cast iron door from my wood boiler this week, and had to remove the 1/4" machine screws that have been there for 30 years. Treated each of the 16 or so threads with the Creeper and easily turned them off. One was near completely burned off so couldn't get the socket on it.... used the steel chisel for that one.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tyb525

I have yet to try Blue Creeper, but I've still got a little bit of Rust Reaper left.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

beenthere

tyb
All the same stuff, as I understand.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Identical other than the color and the name.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WDH

When Jake and I tried to remove the side panels on the edger that I am babysitting for him, we could not get the bolts to budge.  We left the panels alone, but yesterday, a drive belt came off as it was too loose and worn out, and there was no way to replace the belts without removing the side panels.  Could not get any of the bolts to turn.  I sprayed the bolts liberally with blue creeper and called Jake to discuss a plan.  We settled on the "cold chisel" destructive method.  Tapped the first one counterclockwise a couple of times and it came loose.  Then found that all the others could be turned and removed as the blue creeper had done the job.  Very good stuff.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WmFritz

Thanks for that story Jim, it reminded me I've been wanting to order some. I need to break some brake lines and bleeders loose on a 12 year old  pickup  that has spent its whole life primarily in Michigan's winters. Its not pretty under there. :o
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Tam-i-am

Quote from: WmFritz on June 23, 2013, 12:36:07 AM
Thanks for that story Jim, it reminded me I've been wanting to order some. I need to break some brake lines and bleeders loose on a 12 year old  pickup  that has spent its whole life primarily in Michigan's winters. Its not pretty under there. :o

sounds like a job for Bluecreeeper!
Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper