iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Nosey Neighbor

Started by Magicman, May 12, 2014, 01:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Not a bad neighbor at all, just nosey.  Not meddling nosey, but curiosity nosey.  He motioned me over to his place this morning and said "I know that it is none of my business, but what did you have to pay for that ......."?  I though about saying, "you are correct, it is none of your business" but it really did not matter anyway. 

We had a guy at work that just had to know.  We would make a joke out of not telling him anything or else baiting him up with some false information and watching to see where it went.  ;D

They say that "curiosity killed the cat" but sometimes some folks would kill to know.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LeeB

So, how much did you pay for it? What was it? where did you get it? was there a salesman involved? what was his name, or was it a her? Are you happy with it? Does Pat like it too? Did you ask her before you bought it? Huh?Huh? Huh? :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

sandhills

We have several of those around us Magic, all the same family, back in the day of party lines it was always fun to start a rumor just to see who was listening in and how long it took to get back around  :D.  now it's telephone, telegraph or tella (insert name), the word will get out!

WmFritz

The good part of having a nosey neighbor is, you've got somebody keeping watch on your place when your not around.  :D

Was he inquiring about the "two free cars you won?"  ???
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Bill Gaiche

Thats it, the free cars that he read about in another thread. bg

pigman

I can't believe Lynn would keep secrets from his neighbor. :o
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Magicman

:D  You guys are as bad as I am.   Fact is, he is a very good neighbor and also a very good "watchdog".   smiley_thumbsup  Just nosey.  Now, 'bout those cars.....
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

I've had some ask me how do I have what I have. Than I ask,how many 4 wheelers you got, snowmobiles,boat,camp, vacations you go on. I have none of it. That's how I have what i have.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

Quote from: LeeB on May 12, 2014, 02:03:08 PM
So, how much did you pay for it? What was it? where did you get it? was there a salesman involved? what was his name, or was it a her? Are you happy with it? Does Pat like it too? Did you ask her before you bought it? Huh?Huh? Huh? :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

And did the FF get 5%   ;D ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

LaneC

I thought I had the only nosey neighbor :laugh: One time after enough questions that just kept coming out, I started singing really low and looking off, a little up and into the sky, the Hank Williams song " If you'd be minding your business you wouldn't be minding mine" and then I just stopped singing and acted surprised to see him standing there. Luckily he could take a hint.  I did not hurt his feelings because he still asks. I was not trying to be rude, but it is the truth. Some are just nosey. :D :D
Man makes plans and God smiles

SwampDonkey

Everybody is curious in a way, some are more forward and others just talk about ya. :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

LaneC

That is so true swampdonkey. Sometimes I like to give them something to talk about. :D

hackberry jake

I am blessed with the neighbors I have, One of them is pretty nosey, but he's my grandpa, so I guess I have to deal with that one  ;D
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

maple flats

I generally say "more than I wanted" and leave it at that.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

yukon cornelius

not a neighbor, but I had the nosey county assessor snoop by today. he was asking what school district we are in. when we payed our taxes they asked us what county we were in. ummm...shouldn't they be telling me.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Bill Gaiche

Yes Lynn, I want to take one of those cars a drive at the next chicken crispin, by the way do you have insurance on them so I will be covered in case something happens? bg

Magicman

Right now I am trying to track down those guys that I gave my original cars to.  For some reason they think that they are supposed to keep them.   :-\

ozarkgem

Quote from: yukon cornelius on May 12, 2014, 05:56:51 PM
not a neighbor, but I had the nosey county assessor snoop by today. he was asking what school district we are in. when we payed our taxes they asked us what county we were in. ummm...shouldn't they be telling me.
Next time tell him you didn't know we had a school
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Bill Gaiche

You surely had a written contract. I will keep my eyes open just in case they come thru my area. bg

WDH

My neighbors are much too far away to be nosey. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on May 12, 2014, 09:13:33 PM
My neighbors are much too far away to be nosey.

Your neighbors are much to far away to even find the right numbers on the mailbox.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

jargo432

I'm very lucky.  The only real neighbor I have lives about a half mile away.  And if that wasn't enough, he's a really great guy.  He has a large tractor with a brush hog and he mows the fence line along his property.  While he's at it he mows the front strip of my yard.  When he does that I jump out there and finish it off with my 10 year old redneck push mower.  :D

In fact yesterday I got my chainsaw out and trimmed a tree that hangs over the fence where he comes down the fence line that gets in his way.  As I was doing that he happened to drive by and honked at me. 

(now if I could just get him to drive that beast around my 1 acre yard)  ;D
Jack of all trades.

Ken

When I bought my building lot nearly 20 years ago it was wide open and the neighbors liked to watch all we did.  Started planting trees and now am nicely hidden.   Just the way I like it.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

WDH

Yeah David,

I can be hard to find since my street # for my driveway is out of order on the road by over 1/2 mile.  No soup GPS for you. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

GPS will find neither my house nor the Cabin.

I hope that it will find customsawyer.  ??   ???

21incher

If you really want to get him going put 4 stakes a large square in your yard with red tape on the top. When he asks about them tell him they are there so the mother ship knows where to land when it returns. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

kczbest

I own a large field across the road from some of my distant relatives. These particular "people" are the very jealous type and like to start crap all the time. As a joke a few years ago I had a couple of my carpenters go out there with my transit and pretend to be surveyors while I sat in the woods and watched. I had them lay out 50'x50' "lots". Before the first one marked off here they come. As instructed my guys told them I was putting in zero lot line low income houses, I could hear him cussing 100 yards away. At 4:00 AM the next morning I pulled up all the marker stakes. I then went to the local store for breakfast and everyone was asking why I would build those type of houses. Without missing a beat I said I don't know what you're talking about, you know cousin @#&%$@ is crazy and imagines things. He has been very very quiet and has not bothered us since. :D ;D
Hail State!
2013 F150 Supercrew 4x4
John Deere 5303 4x4 with FEL
Cook's MP 32
Cat 289C with Bradco MM60 Forestry Mulcher Head

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: kczbest on May 17, 2014, 09:31:17 PM
<<snip>>
I had them lay out 50'x50' "lots". Before the first one marked off here they come. As instructed my guys told them I was putting in zero lot line low income houses, I could hear him cussing 100 yards away.
<<snip>>
Like it! :D
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Magicman

LaneC

caveman

KCZBest, it is amusing what starts going through folks' heads when you break out some survey stakes and a transit.  This past spring, our FFA had a land and homesite evaluation team that eventually won the state contest and competed at the national event in Oklahoma earlier this month.

Sometimes we would set up slope stakes at school, sometimes in a hay field and other times in parks or pastures.  Basically, we were looking for practice sites that had a variety of slopes (it is generally pretty flat ground around here) for the students to practice estimating the slope of the ground.  Anyway, at school, we set up a series of slopes, marked with flagging tape and survey stakes right outside of the performing arts building.  The band and chorus teachers initially thought a new construction project had begun.  It was really difficult for me not to mess with them and lead them to believe that we were going to build a new show hog barn right outside of their classrooms.  Other times, neighbors to our hay field assume a new subdivision is being started.

The curiosity (nosiness) of some people can provide quite a bit of amusement for the rest of us. 
Caveman

Caveman

kczbest

caveman, you just sent me down memory lane. I went to Oklahoma for the FFA National Land Judging contest myself. Many good memories, and many good friends just came to mind. Thank you for making me remember.
Hail State!
2013 F150 Supercrew 4x4
John Deere 5303 4x4 with FEL
Cook's MP 32
Cat 289C with Bradco MM60 Forestry Mulcher Head

Roger2561

In my town we have quite a bit of transplants.  They work at the same Ivy League college I do.  They are the nosiest people around.  One was from NJ and she made it her business to look around our property when we're gone to make sure we're not doing anything illegal.  When we figured out what she was doing, before one of the board meetings my dad asked her to kindly weed the garden the next she's snooping around our property loud enough for the chief of police could hear us.  She never did that again. 

One of our favorite people have to be those from a certain religious group who walk up to your door and begin trying to "convert" you to their program.  I have many siblings and when we were small my dad was busy plowing the garden.  Two of these people arrived (you can tell who they are by looking at them - who else walks up and down a country road in suit and tie in the summer?) and they said they wanted to talk.  Dad told them they could talk anywhere they wanted just don't get in the way, there's too much work to be done.  Roger
Roger

yukon cornelius

roger, that's funny about the certain religious group. they stopped here Saturday as im peeling logs with the drawknife. you really have to try to find us as we are a bit off the road and don't get company other than the occasional (good)neighbor. they came down the drive and our great dane is looking down at them in their suv and he is not happy. I walk up to their vehicle and they hand me a paper and want to me to read it and they would come back to see what I thought. I tell them that I thought they better not unless they are sure their religion is right because dozer is ready to test their faith if they get out! im not sure if it was the dog the filthy sweaty bearded guy in a tank top or the banjo music blaring from the shop (I love bluegrass music) but they looked nervous and left abruptly. they might have thought they were about to become a part of "deliverance 2"  :D
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

goose63

When thy came to my place I would set a old play boy and a bottle of whiskey on the table that was 35 years ago thy aint been back  :D
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

pineywoods

The best one yet is the mother ship landing pad.  ;D I know a couple of gulible souls I'd like to try that on. :D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Thank You Sponsors!