iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Porch ceiling decking

Started by samandothers, February 07, 2018, 06:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

samandothers

Need some input. 

We are planing a timberframe home with white pine interior frame and either white pine or southern yellow pine ceiling tongue and groove.  We are planning on a white oak exterior frame for its resistance to nature's wear.  We are still trying to determine what to use for the exterior 2x ceiling decking.  At this time we plan to use Heritage finish.

We have been all over the board with this.  We thought southern yellow pine on the exterior too as it looks nice and is harder than some other woods.  We wondered if cypress would be better in the exterior but this should not get wet nor see direct sun.  The look of Douglas fir is attractive.  Cost wise the southern yellow pine is the most economical.  The cypress is more pricey, over 2x the cost per board foot which is a definite consideration.  Hopefully with the tung and linseed oil finish the carpenter bees will not be as attracted and find easier/softer munchies elsewhere. 

Thoughts?

Don P

From my experience they only munch on the edge of the overhang not on the ceiling itself. I've put up lots of EWP porch ceiling as well. Neither tung nor linseed oil is tough enough to stop their jaws. Heavy paint, maybe, maybe Sikkens would if you can tolerate the application fumes. The fascia, projecting beams, 1st purlin, protected but that outer edge is where they want to nest though.

firefighter ontheside

My log home is stained with Sikkens Cetol 1 and 2/3 plus.  It does seem to deter the carpenter bees.  My soffits are SPF and the bees get into that pretty bad, but it's not stained.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

samandothers

Seems there is no magic bullet for the bees.  Though I was trying to find a wood or finish that may help.  I have had some pretty good luck with hanging some bee traps on the corners of the barn.  Maybe I just pretty some up with fancier plastic bottles!   ;D

Thanks for the feed back.  Maybe we just experiment with some color tints and ultimately choose a finish and wood we like versus trying to find a wood that deters the little critters.

Don P

I've come to appreciate cement fascia  :)

samandothers

Harder it is I recon adds to discourage bees are any others chewing vermin!  I need to supply easy pickings soft wood homes so the little buggers don't have to gnaw on the harder stuff.

Thank You Sponsors!