iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anchoring posts to sill plate

Started by beetle, July 07, 2004, 02:36:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beetle

Time to start thinking how I am going to attach my posts to the sill plates on my timber frame Barn. Any suggestions ?

The plates will be anchored to the foundation with 5/8" L bent anchor bolts. The 8"x 8" post bottoms have a 2" stub tenon fitted into the mortised 4"x 8" sill plate. I prefer not to see the anchor from the inside of the barn. One thought I had is to fabricate 8" square 3/16" or 1/4" thick Galvanized plates and resess them into the posts and plate on the exterior side and attached in place with flat head screws. fabricating these or another suggested type of anchor are not a issue since I have a fully equipped machine shop on the premises.

This is a Agriculture building and, therefore, no building inspection is reguired here in my county. However, I do want the building anchored down right and tight!

Thoughts anyone?
Too many hobbies...not enough time.

Jim_Rogers

I toured a barn built by a fellow classmate of a timber framing course.
His barn was 24' x 36' and he used a strap at the post on the outside face to secure his frame to the foundation.

Here is a shot of this post and strap:

Also, I posted several different versions of post to foundation connection on previous threads in this section of the forum. If you haven't already you could review these and see what might work for you. There are many different way to do this, and any one or a combination of them could be done.

If you need larger pictures than what's posted let me know and I'll email them to you off the forum system.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

beetle

I like the hinge idea, sure would make for a easy raising day, yet, I would not like seeing them at the bottom of the posts.

I was never a big fan of those USP straps, a 1.5" x 12" x 16 gauge strap has a load in tension rating of 550 psi, and that is under ideal controlled lab conditions.

I live right smack dead on the highest point of elevation in our County and it can get a little breezy up here. In hindsight, I wish I would have gone with a full 8" sill, longer tenons on the post bottoms and double pegged em..... Too little too late.
Too many hobbies...not enough time.

Thank You Sponsors!