iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can anyone provide info on this peavy point?

Started by Delawhere Jack, January 31, 2016, 06:11:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delawhere Jack

Frankly I'm not 100% sure it is a peavy point. The socket seems pretty shallow. Measures 8 1/4" long, and the socket is just over 1 3/4" diam. at the end. Marked CENTRALIA MO on one side, and CHANCE  on the other.

Chuck White

To me, it looks more like a point for one of those poles that the river drivers use when floating logs down stream to the sawmill!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Jeff

To me, it doesn't look logging. River drivers pole typically also have a small hook.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Andy White

Looks like a point off a leg of an old surveyors transit. Had one similar many years ago.      Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

jmouton

i am with andy white it looks like a surveyors leg point

jim
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

scouter Joe

I have a couple of 12 ' pike poles that have ends on them something like these . We use them to guide long logs when they are hanging from a hoist onto the log building . They have douglas fir handles . scouter Joe

Delawhere Jack

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

hamish

Have to agree, looks to be the end of a pike pole prior to the days of aluminum. 
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

terrifictimbersllc

Not a LogRite, what else do you need to know?   :D :D :D
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Delawhere Jack

Jeff

Here are two examples of logging pike pole ends. Excuse the cobwebs please.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

clearcut

If you look up Chance and Centralia Mo, you quickly come to the A.B. Chance Company. Albert Bishop Chance invented a practical earth anchor for supporting telephone poles around 1912. The company still manufactures ground anchors.

My guess is that the point might have been used to help set some type of anchor.
Carbon sequestered upon request.

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: clearcut on January 31, 2016, 10:38:42 PM
If you look up Chance and Centralia Mo, you quickly come to the A.B. Chance Company. Albert Bishop Chance invented a practical earth anchor for supporting telephone poles around 1912. The company still manufactures ground anchors.

My guess is that the point might have been used to help set some type of anchor.

Yep, that's what I came up with too. A lineman's pike end from what I can find.

Deese

2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Magicman

The tip from a Telephone/Power Co. Linesman's Pike Pole.

They were used to raise and set utility poles. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

4x4American

Lynn did you take that picture?

lol I'm just funnin!
Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

Actually I am the third person from the left......or right.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!