iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A whack of lumber

Started by Kevin, November 27, 2001, 03:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

I`m creating a new term to replace the lumber rules, it will be known as a "whack of lumber".
I fired up the new LT-15 and milled ten beefy logs into a whack of lumber yesterday.
It worked very well and was dead on.
I can see where sawdust and snow combine to make cement which may be a bit of a problem at times and the drive rope doesn`t stand up real well in wet conditions so I might have to find a substitute or treat the rope with water proofing.
All in all I had a ball and I still have all my fingers!

Tom

Kevin,

A whack of lumber,  I like it.

I wonder if plastic coated wire cable would work better in the wet conditions of snow.  Might not like the cold though,

The cement of sawdust and snow can be handled very easily by attaching the LT-15 to, or putting it in, a pickup and taking a Florida Vacation.  We have logs down here too.  :D

Kevin

Tom,
A whack of lumber sells for a whack of cash, the math is easy using this new scale.  :D

I`ll contact WoodMizer and ask them if they have ever tried using clothesline instead of the rope.
The rope gets wet then sags and gets caught under the bolts along side of the bed if you aren`t watching and will fray.
The rope is easy to change and I could easily carry a few spares if need be.

Tom

kevin,

The plastic coated wire cable I was talking about is the stuff that is used on the control lines of outboard boat motors and such.  it is in the neighborhood of 3/16 cable with a very durable and thick plastic coating.  If the clothesline you are talking about is the one used down here I would be afraid of its lack of strength.

I'm supposed to go cut a Whack this afternoon at a tree surgeons.  "make sure you bring your metal detector", he said.  "I don't won't you to hurt your blades".

"Me either, remember that I charge $20 for one if its damaged".

Diminished low voice on the other end of the line  ".....yeah, I know....sigh...."

Kevin

Tom,
When a tooth is broken on a band can it be repaired or is the band scrap?

Tom

Kevin,
you will see a mark on the wood where the tooth should have been cutting but the blade should still work ok.  I keep damaged blades for cutting things I don't care about, like fence posts, or just ripping up really low grade stuff or for when I am pretty sure I am going to hit tramp metal.

One tooth missing doesn't hurt much, just straighten it out so that it doesn't catch on the wood.

Three teeth in succession will begin to stress the blade and shorten its life.

More than three teeth in succession may put undue strain on the bearings of the drive and idle wheels and I would probably scrap one damaged to that extent.

If your asking because of the "charge" statement I made earlier here is another answer.

If I have damaged a blade on tramp metal or the like in a customers log, then the blade is no good to put in another customers log and I charge something for it even if it is not the full $20.  Missing teeth will get the $20 charge.

Kevin

For the first year I will most likely be sending my bands back to Wood-Mizer to get resharpened but I don`t know if they bother to repair broken teeth, that might be another phone call.

Tom

No, they won't repair broken teeth. As a matter of fact they may reject the blade for sharpening.  That doesn't mean that the blade is trash, just that they have a quality-control/liability concern whereas you, with your own sharpener can do as you please.  It may be worth while asking if they will sharpen it but I kinda doubt they will.

Jeff

I have come to the conclusion that Kevin is one in a million. Canadian and genious. There have been many referals to whacks of lumber in the last few weeks including pictures of most of the whacks.

Not once have we been called up on whether our whack was figured using hardwood or softwood whack rules.

Not once has somebody with a degree in wacking questioned Kevins formula.

The Whack rules have been easily accepted and readily learned by everyone that cares to try.

I have looked at every instance of whacks posted on the forum and have never found 1 whack off.

Whack on Kevin!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kevin

Jeff, I was browsing the Tool Box when I stumbled across the whack o lumber rule and your last post on the subject.
I don`t remember reading that before,   what a hoot! Thanks for the gut breaker.   :D  :D  :D

Jeff

Like I said, a genious. Just look atcha, ya can't deny it.

ARKANSAWYER

Most of my whacks of lumber are stacks that have fallen over and are now hard to figure any other way.  
   As for teeth missing I have bands that I send to WM and they sharpen them with as many as 12 teeth missing but no more then 6 in a row.  I peen them flat and they grind them and I tell them that I do not hold them responsible for the quality of cut.  They refer to them as ARKANSAWYER'S #$^%*(#! stump blades and I send them all in together.  What great guys!
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

jimbo

Kevin,     for the rope i have added a short strong spring to the end of my rope  to help take up any slack. ti seems help once it gets wet .  seems to work good fo me     you may try that also                                    
                                        jimbo

Texas Ranger

Jeff, just reviewed the whack series, and cannot believe you haven't found 1 whack off. ::)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Jeff

Nope, they have all been right on. No mistake on that. Thats whats cool about the whack rules. Very Very Accurate.

EZ

My rope was a pain so I went with stainless caple and put Rust Reaper on it, it works great.
EZ

Kevin

What I ended up with was an adjustable hitch which can be tightened in a jiffy.
Works good.

Thank You Sponsors!