iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ripping Chain Cutting Angle

Started by DR_Buck, October 31, 2006, 06:45:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR_Buck

What is the recommedned grinding angle on a ripping chain?   Seems I read somewhere that 10 deg was recommended.  But, I recently bought a chain that is ground toa 20 deg angle ???
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

rebocardo

Somewhere between 0-10 degrees. Some people alternate every other tooth left to right. Bunch of different ways. The ripping chain Baileys sells is 10 degrees for all cutters.

Kevin

10o will give you a smoother cut than a top plate angle of say 25o.

Tony_T

The stihl pmx ripping chain logosol sells is ground to 5 degrees.  I've nice smooth cuts with it

rebocardo

I do not know the mechanics of why, but, on a chainsaw mill the 10 degree cuts way faster then the 25 degree and runs way cooler.

Rail-O-Matic

We use Oregon chipmaster,   One thing I have found is, if the cutters have rounded edges to the chisels, they give a much better finish than a square/sharp pointed edgeds to the chisels,  because they are taking less timber from inside the bottom edge of the cut, I use an angle of between 05 and 10.
If you are using a saw with a slightly longer bar than is recommended, cut every other top off the chisel, but leave the side raker behind for clearing the edges, then the saw will handle thing better, progress will be a tad slower, but easier on the motor.
DDS.
Logg-saw bandmill, Stihl 088, Stihl MS880, Stihl MS660, Stihl 017, 018,  Husky 385XP, Husky 395, Husky 350, Echo WES 350ES, Echo CS 27T, Jonsered 2150 Turbo, Jonsered 111S, good old saw still going after more than 20 years hard service.

Thank You Sponsors!