iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Started the build.

Started by fishfighter, April 08, 2015, 12:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I was hoping that you had not breathed too many fumes and conked out.  smiley_dizzy
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishfighter

Lynn, I been venting the place. ;D Hip is just about 100%. Now if I can talk myself into making a hunt.

Armymann50

fishfighter

Started laying some flooring in the living/kitchen area.

100+ year old SYP quarter sawed T&G. ;D

This picture shows before and after passing a board thru my planner.

As you can see, there is a easy 1/8" varnish. :o Problem, the varnish is trying to burn the knifes on the planner. :(

some flooring down, front to back.

Most likely install the rest unfinished. Just so much more I will have to sand. :(

After a bit of sleep to think about that varnish problem, I am going to try to remove it with a heat gun once day light comes. To me, this flooring looks like it has never been sanded. The boards I pasted thru the planner, I did not remove any wood. Will report back later. ;D

Magicman

Don't even think about sanding it off.  Won't work.  Replacing dull planer knives may prove to be the cheapest route.  I would start on one side of the planer and when that portion got dull, move down a board width and use that section until dull.

How about the possibility of flipping it?

That "old time" Pine flooring is priceless!  smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishfighter

So much for using a heat gun. Didn't work. :( Guess I will sand or buy a few sets on knifes. For sure replacing knifes would be easy on me, but not the pocket book. :D

A lot of rain coming today and tomorrow. Guess a road trip will be made to get some knifes. 8)

Darrel

I've had good luck slicing it off with the sawmill. Gotta go slow so the blade doesn't ride up.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

fishfighter

There would be no room for era doing that. These boards are only 3 1/4" wide and 3/4" thick. Some of the boards I have are over 20' long. :o

Lynn, can't flip them. They are under scored.

One thing I haven't tried, try using my electric hand planner. It cuts 3" wide and knifes for it are cheap. Most I can do there is burn it up. Running them thru my other planner, that was putting a hurting on it. :o 

Magicman

I figured that the underside was scored but I had to ask.  The hand planer idea could be a winner.  

LeeB

What about some good fences and your table saw? Saw blades are cheaper than cutters for the planer. You might have to shorten some of those 20 footers to make them a little more user friendly.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

fishfighter

That might work, but would leave saw blade marks. Then that would be having me sanding even more. :(

Another thing I was thinking that would cost about the same as knifes for my planner, why not try a varnish stripper? :D Been looking at some. So, when I go to pick up some knifes, I will pick up a few different strippers. ;D Problem with the strippers I have read, it has to be used above 60F. I can make that happen, but don't want to leave space heaters running without being there. :( And yes, would have to for no less the 24 hours at a time.

It's a catch 22 right there at this time of the year.

Magicman

The only thing that is easy with using a stripper is talking about it.  :-X

Treehack

I would try a combination of the table saw and planer.  Run a pass on table saw that takes off all but a little film left on board.  Then one pass through planer to remove the film.  This way cheaper saw blades would take brunt of the abuse while still keeping your thickness and less wear on planer.  
TK 1220, 100+ acres of timber, strong left arm.

Treehack

By the way, your flooring is outstanding.  Love the rosewood and your before and after pics of the SYP reminds me of cutting into a janky lookin' log and finding a treasure inside.
TK 1220, 100+ acres of timber, strong left arm.

fishfighter

Well, tried a stripper. Now keep a clean mind. :D Made my choice and found some aftermarket knives for my planer. $36 a set, Dewalt, was $54.99 a set. Ordered 3 sets and should get them in mid week.

Did cook a pot of Gumbo. Weather is just so nasty here today. Gumbo weather for sure. ;D

Magicman

Gumbo, now you are speaking da language.   thumbs-up

This mess should be gone next week so we can get busy again.  8)

Briankinley2004

Might be easier to install the floor then use stripper followed by a floor sander. If its just varnish build up you may be able to get it off with just the sander. Thats the way most wood floors are "redid" anyhow.

fishfighter

I was going to do that, but after trying to sand some with my belt sander, that changed my mind. The belt gummed up real fast using a 50 grit. There has to be a lot of wax on top of the varnish. Besides that, the build up id real thick. Stripping the wax off and the trying to sand would take a very long time and a lot of extra work.

By just passing it thru the planer, it is taking about 95-97% of the stain and varnish leaving the boards to look very old which I think would match out real good with the build. I really like the look. ;D Of course I could take it down to new wood, but don't want to. Using the planer, all boards are matched and once I finished installing them all, I might get away with little to no sanding. ;D

Darrel

Where did you find knives for $36?  I'd like to give them a try. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

fishfighter

On Amazon. Powertec 128010 12 1/2" knives.

Don't know if they will last or what.

Magicman

Paul, review my Reply #804 above.  I would take a magic marker, etc. and mark the board widths across the infeed. 

fishfighter

Got you Lynn. Was going to put some tape. ;D

Went in and papered out the front bedroom. Got to move things over. Got to paper what I put down in the living/kitchen room area. Need to paint the ceilings. Being I will be waiting, it will be a good time to do it. Should of done that to start with, but hate painting. ;D

fishfighter

Got everything moved and the ceiling painted in the living room done yesterday. Even hung a new ceiling fan in there. The one I had, just didn't match the room. Still thinking of what color to use for the walls. I have to go pick up some more varnish for more trim, so I will look at colors today.

fishfighter

Got the planer knives in. Started planning out flooring. Good news, the after market blades fit. Bad news, they are lasting about what DeWalt's blades last. not long. Getting about 130 to 145 SF of flooring per set of knives. :( I did try just taking a hair off at a time. That was worse. :o Things wanted to gum up fast. Anyway, got some more flooring down. ;D

Will get more down tomorrow. Got to move the kitchen island or just go around it. Sucker weights a couple tons. :o

Magicman

I would suggest moving it.  Sometime in the future someone might decide against the island and then..... :-\

That flooring is going to be smiley_thumbsup  

Thank You Sponsors!