iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

fallen tree burn

Started by brcisna, April 30, 2016, 01:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brcisna

Hello All,

Have a (partial) fallen oak tree way out in backyard that has been lying there for about two years now, so it is very dry/rotten.
Have it cut up into 4 foot logs still lying in line. About 16 -22 inches in diameter.
Was going to drag logs onto trailer, and take to someones house that would take for splitting for firewood.

IDEA: If i was to drill 1 inch holes maybe three inches deep with spade bit and filled holes with kerosene and let sit for 3-4 days to soak in would these logs burn (mostly) so wouldn't have fool around loading unloading on trailer.
This would be my preference now,,,thinking about this.
Have never tried this before.

Thanks,
Barry

Magicman

No but if you could pile them up tepee style the heat would be more concentrated and you should be able to get a good burn.  You may have to pour some kerosene or diesel on for a starter.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Magicman on April 30, 2016, 02:48:23 PM
No but if you could pile them up tepee style the heat would be more concentrated and you should be able to get a good burn.  You may have to pour some kerosene or diesel on for a starter.

Or you could pile them Lincoln log style with 2 parallel and 2 on top at 90 degrees to ones below and start a fire in the middle then push them closer to each other as they burn. Either way you have to have the reflected heat from each other to make it burn.

Swedes take a dry log, split it 4 ways, put the 4 quarters back together, stand them on end in the snow and start a small fire in the middle and it burns down till gone. They use this like a stove and put a pot or such on top.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

starmac

You don't know anybody that will come cut it up and haul it away for firewood?
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Magicman

I have sawn "rotten" Red Oak trees and turned out some quite nice lumber.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

isawlogs

He already has it in four(4) foot lenght.

Why will it not burn with deisel fuel added in the holes.... I would drill and fill and put a match to it, it should burn for days!!!  fire_smiley
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I really enjoy sawing old White Oak logs that have been laying for 2 or 3 years or more.
All the bark and sap wood have deteriorated and theres nothing basically left except beautiful heart wood.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: isawlogs on April 30, 2016, 07:43:57 PM
   He already has it in four(4) foot lenght.

Why will it not burn with deisel fuel added in the holes.... I would drill and fill and put a match to it, it should burn for days!!!  fire_smiley

Won't burn. A single log or stick won't burn - try it. Must have radiant heat to burn.  Unless the holes were such large diameter they radiated to the other side would just burn out.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

isawlogs

Then make deeper and wider holes... Fill and burn  :D   ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Brucer

Back in the day you'd just fill the holes with a concentrated solution of ammonium nitrate fertilizer dissolved in water. Let it soak in, repeat a couple of times. Then set fire to it (no, it wouldn't blow up, but it sure would burn). That's how my father got rid of an old stump in the backyard of his city home.

Trying to get ammonium nitrate these days is likely to get you an unwanted visit from Homeland Security :(.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

gspren

I don't know where your at but around here anything laying on the ground will stay too wet inside to burn so first choice would be to finish cutting/splitting and use or sell for firewood. If I wanted to just burn up on location I'd roll some up on smaller poles to dry and preferably get them stacked in a pile and then wait a few months to burn.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Brucer on May 01, 2016, 02:08:07 AM
Back in the day you'd just fill the holes with a concentrated solution of ammonium nitrate fertilizer dissolved in water. Let it soak in, repeat a couple of times. Then set fire to it (no, it wouldn't blow up, but it sure would burn). That's how my father got rid of an old stump in the backyard of his city home.

Trying to get ammonium nitrate these days is likely to get you an unwanted visit from Homeland Security :(.

That may be the solution! When HS shows up at the door looking for your Ammomium nitrate tell them you hid it in the stump out back and let them dig them all up looking for it.
Howard Green

Remle

You could make Swedish candle logs and sell them.

Thank You Sponsors!