iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I wasn't going to post this but..

Started by Woodhauler, May 12, 2016, 07:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhauler

I am soon to be a millionare!!!!!! A guy called me about gold prospecting on my property. Seems there was a gold mine near me in the late 1800s early 1900s. Im sure he willhit it rich here! I told him I wanted 20% like Tony Beets in Alaska. If he don't produce he is gone. :D :D I would like to see a flake of gold come out of here just for giggles!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

luvmexfood

You know woodhauler I have so long lost relatives from up in your neck of the woods.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Magicman

Shucks, I'm gonna get mine much easier.  Publishers Clearing House has just informed me that I am positively, maybe, sorta, well OK, one chance in 10 gazillion gonna win $3,000,000, $10K a month for life, plus a new car.  Y'all just remember that before I got rich and famous I was out there scratching sawdust from between boards that once were logs.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Mooseherder

I just built a highbanker prototype for prospecting my stream up there.
I've added wheels to the back and a hitch to some steel to let me pull it around like a cart since these pictures were taken.  It's designed to catch rock in a five gallon bucket so at least I'll have that to show on paths if there isn't any gold. :D
Now I have to buy a pump.  I'm going gas powered for volume.

WV Sawmiller

WH,

Congratulations on your upcoming fortune. I hope you don't forget all us little guys you used to know and associate with on your way to the top.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

That is absolutely, positively, almost maybe gonna work especially if you actually dump some gold in there.   8)

My oh my, who will ever take the time to remember us the way we were back then.   ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SLawyer Dave

Just on the "off chance" that the guy might actually show up, just be careful as to the regulations and laws that may be applicable in your area to such mining.  Dredging, sluicing, high banking, and most other forms of "placer" gold production degrades water quality, and there are a number of jurisdictions throughout the country that have very strict controls on such.  Even if he doesn't find a single flake, get crosswise with those regulations, and you will be the one paying the price because you are the landowner and he will suddenly disappear.

Woodhauler

Oh I don't think a 75 yr oldguy and a gold mining pan will cause much of a ruckuss!   
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Brucer

Rossland would not exist were it not for it's gold mine(s). Half a dozen high-yield claims on Red Mountain -- hundreds of not-so-high yield claims all around the mountain. Go hiking anywhere and you'll soon come across an old pile of rock excavated from a shaft.

So every 10 years or so someone shows up with a plan to refurbish one of the old shafts, or recover traces of gold from the old waste rock piles. There's a lot of hype in the paper. News releases ever couple of weeks. Equipment brought in, and barricades set up around the site. Lots and lots of opportunities for locals to invest  ;D. Most folks around here would sooner buy a bridge in Brooklyn than invest in a gold recover operation :D.

These operations last anywhere from 6 months to 3 years; then they fade away. We once had a couple of guys laying a grid of electrical wires on the surfaces of the snow on our property (they'd leased the mineral rights). The boss was a nice guy, told us exactly what was going on, wanted to make sure they weren't inconveniencing us. The plan was to lay out the grid, the energize it as a plane flew a circuit overhead with instruments to detect ore bodies. I ran into the guy as they were recovering the wire in the spring and I asked him if he made much money out of these ventures. "I do OK," he told me. "I get paid by the investors to do this. I'd never invest any of my own money into these operations."

My advice is always to sit back and enjoy the show -- and keep your money in the bank. It pays a better return than any of these recovery ventures :D :D.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Ianab

QuoteI ran into the guy as they were recovering the wire in the spring and I asked him if he made much money out of these ventures. "I do OK," he told me. "I get paid by the investors to do this. I'd never invest any of my own money into these operations."

That's the old saying isn't it?

To make money during a Gold Rush, sell shovels.   :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Cedarman

May of 1969 I was coming back from an interview with Cities Service in Bartlesville Ok.  Got to chatting with a guy next to me telling him about having a geology degree and out seeing if I could get a job.  He asked if I could recognize placer gold.  Said sure.  He asked if I wanted to be part of an expedition into the highlands of Guatemala to look for placer gold and maybe find the veins it was coming from.  Thought about it for a moment or 2, but with a new wife and a little  one on the way I politely declined. 
One of the many crossroads in my life that would have taken me in a completely new direction.  Who knows the outcome?  Fun to think about.
Ahhh!!!!  the lure of GOLD.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Brucer

Sounds to me like the lure of common sense won that one ;D ;D.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Sixacresand

Back in the day some folks thought they would become rich when the state legalized and created the lottery.   I have to admit that when the powerball deal was almost a billion dollars, I bought a ticket and visualized getting my truck repainted and a couple new tires.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

sandhills

:D :D :D I visualize that too, trouble is mine needs all 4 tires, there went my winnings  :D.

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Sixacresand on May 19, 2016, 08:32:11 AM
Back in the day some folks thought they would become rich when the state legalized and created the lottery.   I have to admit that when the powerball deal was almost a billion dollars, I bought a ticket and visualized getting my truck repainted and a couple new tires.

I was working in west Africa in early 2000 when friends told me someone in southern WV had won a $330 million lottery and that I needed to call home to see if was my wife. I told them "No need to waste the call. If it was Becky who won it there won't be anybody there to answer the phone."

Turned out it was Jack Whitaker 5-6 miles away. He took the $170 million early payout and has repeatedly said it brought him nothing but grief.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Woodhauler

TimRB

Around here you can do worse than go through the tailings of an old mine.

Tim

sawguy21

;D Same here. We wouldn't get rich but there is enough to keep us interested.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

redprospector

Quote from: Mooseherder on May 12, 2016, 09:54:58 PM
I just built a highbanker prototype for prospecting my stream up there.
I've added wheels to the back and a hitch to some steel to let me pull it around like a cart since these pictures were taken.  It's designed to catch rock in a five gallon bucket so at least I'll have that to show on paths if there isn't any gold. :D
Now I have to buy a pump.  I'm going gas powered for volume.

That's a good looking high banker.  smiley_thumbsup
I've built a couple of dry washers, and a rocker box. They all work good too.  :)

Gold prospecting is a fun hobby. Especially if you do it like fishing.
Most of us don't expect to get rich when we go fishing. We just go because that's what we want to do. You learn the local laws and regulations, then go have a fun outing, and hopefully at the end of the day, if you're real lucky, you've got something to take home with you.
In reality, gold prospecting is the same.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Woodhauler on May 19, 2016, 11:23:10 AM
Isn't Jack flat broke now???

If not he is pretty close to it I think. He has said the money broguh him nothing but grief.
Howard Green

Thank You Sponsors!