iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Quarter Sawn Walnut

Started by 123maxbars, October 04, 2017, 05:25:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

123maxbars

After reading Yellowhammer's post on quarter sawing I thought I would give that method a try. I don't think I got it just right but i like this method and will try to improve on it. I quarter sawed Walnut and it turned out great I thought. Made a short video showing the days work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd0nR2pHmeQ
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

WDH

"Goodness Sakes Alive, I get excited!"   :D
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

123maxbars

Quote from: WDH on October 04, 2017, 08:08:58 PM
"Goodness Sakes Alive, I get excited!"   :D

lol thought you might like that TN humor! come on Danny, I bet you say the same thing sometimes!  ;D
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Weekend_Sawyer

I enjoy your videos.
Thanks for posting.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Savannahdan

I'm having additional fun lately when I watch your videos by putting my headphones.  Expand the video, listen through the speakers and enjoy!  Thanks for posting.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

YellowHammer

Quote from: 123maxbars on October 04, 2017, 05:25:08 PM
After reading Yellowhammer's post on quarter sawing I thought I would give that method a try. I don't think I got it just right but i like this method and will try to improve on it.
I was looking any the video, I would have started rotating the remaining half log maybe at the 5 minute cut, or certainly the cut ending at 5:59.  Typically, since I know the halfway down, 90° cuts in the half log will be nice, I will be fully rotated so that I'm basically back to a conventional quarter log by the time I hit the halfway point or the pith midline.  Seems you went deeper. 

For that size log, I would probably have made two position rotations.  Set it up like you had it, take the top wedge off, like you did, then take off a couple boards until I was one or two boards above the pith, or midpoint.  Then I would have done the first rotation, maybe 25° and taken a wedge off.  That would have left a 90° quarter, and I would have taken several boards from that remaining quarter, and after I lost the grain, made one more, few degrees rations, and taken the top off the remaining wedge, and sawn down through the rest. I probably explained it clear as mud.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

OffGrid973

Nothing better than the "solid wood" comment and knowing that feeling when you get that much work into the tree.  Love the playlists:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLXD2MOgeo6IpYOwCzuJG7T3PbSXxNYl3Y&v=PDvL-gemluI
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

123maxbars

Quote from: YellowHammer on October 05, 2017, 02:31:38 PM
Quote from: 123maxbars on October 04, 2017, 05:25:08 PM
After reading Yellowhammer's post on quarter sawing I thought I would give that method a try. I don't think I got it just right but i like this method and will try to improve on it.
I was looking any the video, I would have started rotating the remaining half log maybe at the 5 minute cut, or certainly the cut ending at 5:59.  Typically, since I know the halfway down, 90° cuts in the half log will be nice, I will be fully rotated so that I'm basically back to a conventional quarter log by the time I hit the halfway point or the pith midline.  Seems you went deeper. 

For that size log, I would probably have made two position rotations.  Set it up like you had it, take the top wedge off, like you did, then take off a couple boards until I was one or two boards above the pith, or midpoint.  Then I would have done the first rotation, maybe 25° and taken a wedge off.  That would have left a 90° quarter, and I would have taken several boards from that remaining quarter, and after I lost the grain, made one more, few degrees rations, and taken the top off the remaining wedge, and sawn down through the rest. I probably explained it clear as mud.

I get what your saying Robert, I am going to try again in a few days, I see the value in this method and getting better/more boards out of each log,
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Larry

About 20 years ago I was loitering in the office of a commercial walnut mill.  I listened while one of the salesmen was telling a customer over the phone about this beautiful quarter sawn walnut that they were selling at a huge discount.  He went on to tell the customer the quarter sawn walnut was so special it had a unique name...."Pencil Stripe walnut". :)

He got off the phone and we just smiled at each other.  The mill had a large walnut export order but the customer only wanted flat sawn with a minimum width.  They were pulling all the "Pencil Stripe" walnut out.

Larry, not impressed by quarter sawn walnut....even if its pencil striped. :D :D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!