iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old WM band sharpener

Started by caveman, September 30, 2018, 06:52:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caveman

John and I were given an older Wood-Mizer drag style sharpener and a single tooth setter yesterday.  The motor and pump work but the guy who gave it to us said that he nor his late father were ever able to get acceptable results with the blades they attempted to sharpen with it.  I spent a lot of time this morning reading posts about these sharpeners.  I especially enjoyed reading posts by PineyWoods and Tom.  

Anyway, I am open to suggestions on where we should start to get this thing producing sharp bands.  It has a couple of cams (don't know what profile) and a couple of new wheels (not CBN).  I am not sure of the model but I did find a pdf in one of the posts that seems to be of one that is very similar, if not the same.  

Thank you for your help.  Kyle

Caveman

Chuck White

My FIL has a 1992 sharpener like that, and the only issue he has with it, is that it's not very heavy and after a couple of sharpenings on it, he starts to loose gullet depth!

It's just not very heavy to force the grindstone down into the gullet!

But other than that, it's a good sharpener and it does work!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Gary Davis

I have one works good, if you have the right cams and instruction or if not careful you can ruin a blade

caveman

I would appreciate some pointers.  Assume I have never sharpened a bandsaw blade and that I am unfamiliar with this sharpener - this is the case.  We were planning on starting with pieces of broken blades to try to get the grind right and then move on to some of our blades that have struck metal.
Thanks,
Kyle
Caveman

Stephen

1994 WoodMizer LT40G18. 69 acres mixed wood. 1952 ford tractor, Norse 290 winch, studed Norse ice chains. 45-66DT Fiat.

caveman

Thank you.  I think John downloaded it today.  We have a lot of irons in the fire but hopefully we will have time to carefully follow the instruction manual and achieve favorable results.
Caveman

Mfrost459

I have the same sharpener and it does a great job for us. The folks at Woodmizer in Newnan, Georgia have been very helpful answering my questions. 
Wood-Mizer LT50 Wide 2021 - LT-40 - 1992
EG-200 board Edger - New Holland Skilsteer - Kubota SVL95-2 skidsteer
Nyle L53 Kiln -  Nyle L200S Container Kiln

Have a great day milling!

Beavertooth

Woodmizer use to sell a conversion kit that would convert that sharpener into a CBN sharpener. Do not know if they still offer it or not. Be worth a call to find out. 
2007 LT70 Remote Station 62hp cat.

pineywoods

I modified mine to use a cbn wheel. For starters, the little 12 volt wheel motor will need to be upgraded and the cam modified.. I used a 1/4 hp 110 volt motor. There's a post with pics in the sawmill and milling section. The big problem with these sharpeners is the mindset of the operator. This is NOT a tool where you just mount a blade and hit the on switch. Yes, the cam needs to match the profile of the blade, BUT the shape of the wheel is just as important. Unfortunately the non cbn wheels wear rapidly and have to be re-shaped. I wore out my cbn wheel and started using 4 1/2 inch wheels off my hand-held grinder. Downside, there is a definite learning curve there.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Thank You Sponsors!