iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

just wondering what brand saw everyone uses

Started by 567paloggger, August 07, 2009, 10:36:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

567paloggger

hey guys just was wondering what saws everyone was using and how much are they cutting with it a year i personally use huskys

tyb525

Not sure if this is the best thread topic ::) To each his own, mine are in my signature
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

MOwoodchopper

Nothing wrong with the topic!

I run dolmar , husky, stihl in that order.

I use them a lot! Sharpen all my own chains and fix my own saws and everyone else's who stop by.
Also cut wood for customers and who ever else needs help. And my father in law, brother in law, and other brother in law and myself heat with wood only!
STIHL 084
STIHL 026 X2
STIHL 015
HUSQVARNA 372XP
DOLKITA 7900
DOLMAR 6800
DOLMAR 5105

ladylake

Echo, Stihl, Husky, Dolmar, Solo, Cub Cadet (Efco) and they all work good except for the 30cc Stihl and Solo which are real gutless.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Al_Smith

Just pick a brand at random,chances are I have one . :D
That aside most of my cutting is done with mid sized Stihls .On rare occasions I might break out a large McCulloch , Husqvarna or Homelite .

Meadows Miller

Gday

Im a Husky and Jonsered man myself and allways have been mate  ;) ;D 8) 8)

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

madhatte

At work it's all Stihls, because it's easier to maintain a fleet of the same line.  At home I have some variety. 

Husky-Fan

I think my screen name says it all-but Husky for me 8) I cut about 10 cords a year with my 372 and 346(new) ;D

nhlogga

Jonsered 2260
Husky 562xp

GASoline71

Work saws are Stihl.

But I collect mainly Homelites, McCullochs, Jonsereds... and pretty much anything else that finds it's way to my shop.

Gary
\"...if ya mess with the bull... ya gets the horn.\"

John Bartley

Well, having been a Stihl dealer it was pretty hard to resist the pricing :D  I have an MS361 and that's it - the whole fleet, but I refuse to burn wood for heat, so it doesn't work too hard.  My first big saw was a Husqy TP480 back in the early '80's, and it cut and cut, and cut, and......it was a good saw. We lived in Northern Ontario and we burned 15 bush cords every year just to stay warm and for cooking - all we had was Poplar, Birch and Spruces.

cheers

john
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

Hilltop366

I got a Sachs Dolmar 115 since 1989, I kept it from my Kawasaki / Dolmar shop when I closed in 89, I have changed the starter/flywheel the coil and a carb kit or two, It didn't get used much the first few years now I use it to cut my fire wood (might be 5 cords/year) I don't really keep track and a little for my Dad.
The reason I started selling Dolmars was my brother was using partner 5000 full time (They would last about 10 months with repairs, the other guy he was cutting with was getting the same out of Huskys) Then switched to a Dolmar 113 used it for 2 years and was still running then got a Dolmar 120 used it for a year and a half still working good and quit working in the woods used it for a few more blocking firewood finally the coil quit still had lots of compression.

rebocardo

Stihl for my smaller saws, Husky and Stihls for my larger saws. I do not bother with the off brands (Poulan, Homelite, etc.) any more because of the vibration compared with Sthil and Husky.

567paloggger

i have 3 huskys and a new dolmar i dont really care for that much its ok but was thinking on buying a 361 stihl everyone says there pretty good and i cut wood full time so was thinking on trying one out

maple flats

I have 2 Huskey's, both med size saws. They work good but i did have a recurring problem with a muffler bolt on the smaller one (350). I tried loctite but the heat apparently was too much and it didn't help, the bolt kept coming loose. I had to drill it out and install a locking helicoil. Then i took a 10/32 threaded rod (high grade) and installed it. Now my tightening nuts are on the surface and I have had no further problems. My wood is not carefully measured but between the house, sugarhouse and sawmill trimming they get a good workout. For the sugarhouse alone I cut over 10 FULL cords and then split it wrist sized to burn as fast as possible.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

567paloggger

ive learned many years ago when buying a saw go with a pro model ive done the residential saws and they dont hold up for me

alderman

Most of my saws are branded Shindaiwa.  Not the most popular but they've proven to be pretty reliable.

Cut4fun

Quote from: 567paloggger on August 08, 2009, 10:56:15 PM
i have 3 huskys and a new dolmar i dont really care for that much its ok but was thinking on buying a 361 stihl everyone says there pretty good and i cut wood full time so was thinking on trying one out

Depends on limbing, bucking or the wood to be cut on what brand I grab out of the stable. Not saw biased at all.
Now I just happen to know where a used muffler modded 361 is. Nope not mine, already sent my used one to TX. Since I had a woods ported 357xp and a 365 special too.

John Mc

Quote from: 567paloggger on August 08, 2009, 10:56:15 PM
i have 3 huskys and a new dolmar ...

How does the vibration damping compare on the Huskys vs the Dolmar? I've not had a chance to use a Dolmar yet. A friend is considering a Dolmar 5100, but servicing dealers are spotty around here -- that and the need to "try before you buy" are holding him back.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

simonmeridew

some people like Fords, some like Chevys. Same with saws. Stick with the main brands the dealers in your area sell, those guys are your friends, whether you know it or not. Like others have said, Stihl, Husky, Johnny are good
simonmeridew
Kubota L4400, Farmi 351

Al_Smith

Quote from: simonmeridew on August 09, 2009, 07:42:06 PM
Like others have said, Stihl, Husky, Johnny are good
simonmeridew
You pretty much nailed it on the head .Brands don't make a hill of beans .

I'll bet I've cut more cords with a Mac  PM 610 and a Poulan S-25 than most people have cut in their life time . No big deal,whatever works ,works . 8)

Bruce Hopf

Up until a year ago, I was strictly a user of McCulloch chain saws (Mac 1-10, Mac 10-10 Automatic, Pro Mac 60, Pro Mac 700, and Mini Macs 30, and 35), for cutting my fire wood.
But for health reasons (bad back), I had to switch to a lighter, and faster cutting saws.
I went with an 044, that I completely rebuilt from piston, cylinder, main bearings, seal and gasket kit, carburetor repair kit, an 034, that had to have the rings changed, and an 024, that had a major oil leak from the bar oil tank (turned out to be just a bad seal on the oil cap).
These Stihl chainsaws I mainly cut my fire wood with, but like to get the McCullough chain saws out once in a while. I'm also in the process of getting a pair of Strunk chain saws up and running (if I can find carburetor rebuild kits for them. Tillotson H repair kits). One is a Busy Beaver, and the other is a SpeeDemon. Bruce.
McCulloch
1-Pro Mac 60, 1-Pro Mac 700, 2-Mac 10-10 automatic's, 2-Mini Mac 30's, 2-Mac 110's, 2-Mini Mac 35's, 1-Mac 140 with Automatic chain sharpener, 1-Pro Mac 10-10, 2-Eagar Beaver 2.0's, 1-Mac 1-10
Stihl
2-044's, 2-034,s 2-024's, 1-064, 1-084
Strunk
1-Busy Beaver, 1-SpeeDemon Special

htpd43

5 jonsered (2137/2150/2054/625 II/2165) and 3 stihl (011avt/026/056av magnum II) saws
would love to buy a dolmar - 2 actually the 5100 and the 7900
cut about 10 cords/yr
j'red -2137/2150/2054/625II/2165
stihl -011avt/026/056av magII
kubota L35/2 trailers/chevy 1500/ford350 dump
lindig log splitter & lots of other goodies

John Mc

Primarily a Husqvarna 357XP and a Jonsered 2152. Cutting mainly hardwoods for firewood... rarely run into something that can't be accomplished with a 16" bar, so that's what I have on both. When I need something bigger, I've been known to borrow my father-in-law's Stihl 044 (I'm not in good enough shape to lug that around all day).
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Ga. bow-man

4 Stihls
Switch from Poulan to Stihl in about 30 years ago, boy was that a step up.
We have a great local Stihl dealer for parts and service that I've
always used. Prices may be a little high but he keeps them running.   

Thank You Sponsors!