iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking for the right equipment

Started by zak1983, June 25, 2012, 05:38:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Forest Dan

Quote from: zak1983 on June 25, 2012, 05:38:02 PM
Hello all
I just bought 55 acres in breckenridge colorado & i have dense forests full of lodgepine pole. I'd say about 30% of it is dead, so I'd like to start making some progress clearing out the dead trees- standing and fallen. I'm thinking that for now I'd just find an area to start stacking logs, and I'm looking for the right equipment to move & stack. I think I'd rather put my budget toward that than cutting- I can stick to a chainsaw for that.

I'd like to keep to $30k or so if possible. I have going through the property a driveway that switches back and forth, so while it is dense, I can start clearing along the driveway pretty easily.

Not sure if these would be relevant, but I've got gator on tracks & a rubicon.

This is my first piece of land, so any recommendations would be awesome! Thanks!

Forest Dan

Hello Zak;
I'm in Oregon, but have been to your neck of the woods a few times, doing demonstrations of equipment and techniques for just the situation you describe.  I've read through many of the posts to your question and it seems like everyone wants to use up all of your 30k.  Since you already have a Gator and a Rubicon, that's about your biggest expense and you should have very little need to spend much more.  With your steeper ground, you do not want a tractor, unless of course you want to get yourself killed.  I'd be happy to send you some video information on the tools you need, but they are also available on the web.  Please check out the you tube videos by Logrite, dealing with the ATV and JR arches. 

As a little history, I'm Mark Havel, founder of Future Forestry Products Inc and the designer of the modern log arch line.  While there are many, too many, types of equipment that cost thousands and use buckets of fuel, there is simply nothing as easy to use, or universally practical as a log arch and an ATV.  I was just out logging for some friends today, taking storm damage trees up to 24" dia and hauling up to 1000 or more feet, lickety split.  Steep ground, tight quarters, hangups you name it, it is all practical and possible with just $2000 total in equipment cost, and your ATV. 

If you would like to search this out further, please visit my websites;  www.futureforestry.com,  www, haveldesigns.com
www.forestdan.com and www.localfirewoodnetwork.org.  If you would like to talk to me personally, please email at any of those websites or give me a call form the phone number posted there. 

Yours; mark

beenthere

Maybe I am missing something here. Or just confused by what I have just tried to read.
You appear to be selling the Logrite products for the Logrite sponsor of the Forum.  Right?

I'd agree with a Logrite arch to move logs, but it isn't a slam dunk on steep ground. Maybe a capstan winch to bring logs out of the woods would help.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

Someone comes on and say they 30k to spend,we'll help them spend it.  :D
He also said he wanted to stack the logs too. I myself use my tractor in the woods and around the house and fields just about every day digging,hauling rocks,or dirt,smoothing out a rough spot, and a course the wood part.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

MHineman

Quote from: Migal on June 26, 2012, 11:24:27 PM
Im looking for a JD 4x4 around 50-60 hp with fel for second tractor  Just a ole farm boy with idea's and plan's But if you don't have a tractor and own 50 acre's you will need one not even thinking of the log's.
My dad bought a JD 5400 tractor 4WD with a 540 loader about 1 1/2 years ago.  I think it is a 1995 model, but looks like new.

The loader has quick hitch and articulates to keep the bucket the same level as it goes up and down.  It has a cab with heat and air.  He paid about $27,000 then.

I just did a quick Google search and the first one up with the same features is priced at $29,500.

Without cab or with a cheaper loader it would be less.

1999 WM LT40, 40 hp 4WD tractor, homemade forks, grapple, Walenstein FX90 skidding winch, Stihl 460 039 saws,  homebuilt kiln, ......

Holmes

It appears you are at high altitude 11,000' plus .  I would think a dozer with steel tracks might end up being like a toboggan most of the year. Steel tracks do not work well on snow and ice.  Maybe a used snow tracked vehicle { groomer, bombardier,?} set up to pull logs would help
Think like a farmer.

snowstorm

whatever you buy it needs to be toubrocharged. a turbo motor dose not derate hp till over 10.000ft i still say dozer

lynnds

Zak: If you're interested, contact me via e-mail, coloradoforestrytools@gmail.com, then we might visit by phone.  I live about 80 miles south of you, have low impact logging equipment, tractor, etc.  There really are some issues to consider in the areas where you and I live, and I can help you with some suggestions prior to your spending your money.  I'll be glad to visit with you at your convenience.
Lynn S.

Piston

A lot of people make the mistake of asking "what size tractor do I need?"  (I did too ;D). 

The best question to ask and think about for yourself, is what implements will you need/want for what you are trying to do.  Then figure out how fast or effective you want to be, and from there, you can choose the size and type, as well as light duty, medium duty, heavy duty, and figure out what you want for implements to get the job done.  THEN, it actually makes choosing a tractor pretty simple, as most implements are designed to work within a range of power choices/size tractors. 

If you need help deciding which implements just ask.  As mentioned, a winch would be very highly reccommended, I wish I had one and have been keeping an eye out for a long time. 
If your budget is 30k, you will easily be able to find something that you will enjoy operating, as long as it's used.  You can still buy new and can get a nice tractor, even for 0% financing with some companies, if you stick with the economy lines.  (since you'll want to leave money left over for implements)

By all means, whatever you buy, get a grapple, there is no better all around tool.  I have one for my tractor and use it 99% of the time.  I've only put my bucket back on the tractor once in over a year now.  The grapple will make your life so much easier when clearing in the woods.

Here is my tractor with my grapple and stumpgrinder attached.  I would buy the next size up if I had to do it again (and eventually will anyways)

Also...
I haven't updated this thread in a long time, but you may find the pics entertaining. 
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=50047.0

Of course, if the land is toooo steep, then a tractor may not help at all. 

As much as I love this site, also check out www.tractorbynet.com and post your question there, the more specifics you give the better, although, those guys will try talking you into a 60k tractor if your budget is 30k so be careful :D
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Thank You Sponsors!