iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dating of an Old Axe - Could it be 1830's or not?

Started by wdoughertyiii, May 16, 2018, 10:38:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wdoughertyiii

Hello:
I've been trying to learn more about an old axe that was passed down in my family. I recently discovered several old tool catalogs from the 1860's and 1870's which I believe may identify it as a "New York" style axe. I don't believe you'll find the maker listed in a book of markings, as I and others have searched with no avail. The name is too hard to read though it appears to start with a "W.A....". I'm reaching out to you in hopes that you perhaps might be able to give me any indication as to how old this axe might be. If you look at it, it appears to have been hand-forged, with a slight crack in the metal near the handle where the one piece of long metal was bent around a handle then beat and and fused back into one piece.

As a background on the family it came from, my grandpa's grandpa was a timberman who moved to the Ozarks in 1875 during the timber boom here. His father was born in New York in 1819 and used the Erie Canal and then the Ohio & Erie Canal to conduct business as well as move west during the 1840's through 1860's. His father Henry Dougherty worked on the Erie Canal and was probably involved with the timbering of the 16,000 acres of White Oaks on Grand Island, New York in the mid 1830's.
I've attached some photos of the axe for your reference (my dad put a new handle in it when I was a boy).

I'm really hoping to learn whether this axe could have been made in the 1830's or if it's design/construction is too late for that. I'm trying to determine how back in the family heirloom might have been originated.

Thank you, in advance, for any information you can provide, contacts you can give, or resources you can point me to.
Sincerely,
Will Dougherty

WV Sawmiller

I'm not dating an old ax - married her nearly 41 years ago. :D

Sorry, the Devil made me say that. ;)

Don't know how old your ax is but it is a pretty neat design. Hope you find all the details of it.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Ron Wenrich

Put some chalk on the name, and you might be able to see it better.  Simmons is probably not the manufacturer.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

51cub

I don't know how much he gets on here, but @Rooster knows alot about axes. Maybe try a pm
I believe in the hereafter, because every time I take two steps into the tool crib to get something I wonder " what did I come in here after"

If nothing else I'm always a good last resort or the guy to hold up as a bad example

Thank You Sponsors!