iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thanksgiving….1st day of Rabbit Season

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, November 28, 2013, 11:32:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Paul and I got up with one of my customers for a Thanksgiving morning Rabbit hunt.
21° but no wind thank goodness.
This was opening day.....and the dogs were itching!
"Cry Baby", "Red Head", "Pistol", "Blackey", "Slow Poke".....just to name a few got hot on the trail.  running-doggy

Me......I was just the photographer on this hunt.  smiley_paparazzi
I left them hunting at 10:30.....I had a Honey Do list to do before we all got together for some bird.  smiley_turkey_dancing

'Ol Paul got'em a Wabbit right before I left.  smiley_clapping We had a ball!!!!!

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Al_Smith

I just love to watch a good beagle hot on the trail of a rabbit .I also like to see a good Walker trailing fox or a Redbone on a coon .Something about hounds that tickles me . ;D

Autocar

Rabbits around here is almost a thing of the past,not sure in Als area but we have a few but I won't shot them afaird its the last one in the woods.
Bill

Texas Ranger

used to be our tradition as well, dad and I out after the first frost, dad said rabbits with tricconoma never lasted the first frost.  we still found a few with a spotted liver.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Al_Smith

We got wabbits .Not as many as when I was a kid though .Nary a pheasant but turkeys and deer .Red tail hawks galore too but you can't shoot them .I doubt they'd be real tastey any way .

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Al_Smith

My favorite beagle story .My old bud JC Cash from some place in Georgia originaly joined the navy in 1946 but I didn't meet him until 1968 .

When they were teeny boppers they had an old arthritic beagle that was a dandy hunter .Problem is old age and the arther boys did a number on him .About Thursday they fed the dawg aspirins and by Saturday he was limber as a young pup and could he ever run the wabbits .He could make er about the whole day .Took him until mid week before he could even hike his leg again  .Thursday they gave him the treatment all over again .Poor dawg ,.

WmFritz

That's a nice Whack of Wabbits there.  ;D
Nice shootin Paul... You too Dad.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

WmFritz

Your a good Pa paw Poston. If you wants to adopt another son, I don't eat much.  ;D ;D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ET

I like to hear stories of rabbit hunting and beagles. Im almost 63 and have more memories of bunnies and beagles than I ever thought i would. Grew up in Williams county Ohio with lots of rabbits and pheasants; i believe they still have birds now but have not been back since early 80's.

Their was no rabbits to speak of when I bought my farm in Sandusky County in 1981 but I continued hunting anyway against the advise of many a experienced outdoorsmen. Im glad I kept hunting them because now we harvest over 50 per season now where we used to get maybe half a dozen. Go figure?
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

coxy

my uncle had a dog boy could he run them if his noes wasn't up that rabbits butt he wouldn't  run it    and had two different sounds to his voice for cottontail and snowshoes    the funniest thing was at 3:00 he was done it seemed like it did not matter if he was in the middle of running or not 3:00 that was it back to the truck        and never ran a deer        do you guys that run more then one dog ever have a problem with them fighting   I have 2 females that are sisters but 2 different litters and the oldest one will fly in the youngest when she starts to howl   the oldest one yelps the young one howls like a coon dog ???  is that normal that they fight or should I take them one at a time

drobertson

That looks like a perfect day! them are some good ones!    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Thank You Sponsors!