iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Im stuck!

Started by thedeeredude, October 09, 2008, 07:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thedeeredude

I cut down a tree today, shortleaf pine from what I figure.  2 needles, and chock full of pitch.  My shirt, my gloves, my jeans, my hands, my arms were all stuck :D  It was a small tree so I didn't use it for lumber.  Maybe 10" dbh and only ~30' tall including the crown.  It was covered in poison ivy too.  But it dropped, didn;t hit the little shed near it and cleaned up quick 8)

WDH

It was getting back at you for cutting it down.....
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thedeeredude

Dave Shepard

Quote from: WDH on October 09, 2008, 07:48:46 PM
It was getting back at you for cutting it down.....

:D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Jeff

Quote from: Jeff on February 02, 2006, 10:24:11 PM
Now!  About that annoying pine.  When I got to Tom's job-site yesterday, I found out a couple of things that I hadn't realized, or at least thought about, when "working" around Southern Yellow Pine.  It don't make for a real good bench.  When the guys stopped for lunch, and after Tom had finished greeting his Chicken Sandwiches, and acknowledging my arrival, we all sat down to eat and visit for a moment.  I guess I never paid attention that everybody else sat on buckets.  I just plopped down on the nearest log.  Once we finished eating and it was time to go back to "work",  I went to get up and found that my pants were pretty much stuck to the log.  Hmmm-m!  Well, I did get stood up, and , of course, I reached back to brush off my pants.  Hmmmmmm-m!   After I got my hand unstuck from my rear, I realized that Southern Yellow Pine is a bit sticky.  Maybe even more than a bit.  I spent most of the rest of the afternoon prying myself away from various objects.   Well! I pretty much learned that a fellow should wear gloves and be careful around that stuff.  I knew that the next day I wasn't going to make the same mistakes. ....and I didn't.   Today went pretty well.  We got a big whack of logs sawed.   The only low-point of the day was that I developed a terrible thirst after misplacing my drink somewhere.   Other than that, it was a great day and I look forward to tomorrow, as I continue my Florida adventure.  :)

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WDH

Wow, that is a nice log ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jeff

There was a whole bunch of em. Click on the quote tag and look at some of em. Mr. Tom don't fool around when it comesta stickypine.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Maineloggerkid

Thats why I usually don't cut pine until winter. The sap dries up more.
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

Ron Wenrich

Doubtful if it was shortleaf pine.  We're a little north of the range, and I've only seen it a couple of times and that was on south facing slopes. 

My bet is you got into some pitch pine, which is a northern yellow pine.  I've also heard it called bull pine.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

thedeeredude

That sounds about right Ron.  The needles were in groups of two, maybe 3 inches long.  The end grain looked like yellow pine, wide rings that were about the same width, earlywood and latewood.  And it was dripping with pitch.

WDH

If the needles were in 2's, it is not pitch pine.  Pitch pine has needles in 3's.

Ron Wenrich

Another option is virginia pine.  They seemed to move south since I've been a kid.  They used to seed in on old fields, but I rarely see them anymore. 

Are you logging in someone's back yard?   :D
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

thedeeredude

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on October 10, 2008, 11:18:22 AM
Are you logging in someone's back yard?   :D

:D  It was near a large water tank and was in the way of some other trees that needed to be worked on and the tops were blown out of the small group of these pines.

WDH

If the bark is scaly, then it is probably virginia pine, one of the yellow pines, so it should be pitchy ;D.  A pitchy virginia pine :D.

Looking down into the cone scales, you should see the mark left by the seed wing.  That mark should show up with a great deal of contrasting color from the surrounding surface if it is virginia pine.

That is probably more information than you needed :).

thedeeredude

Uh, I have no idea what you're saying WDH :D ;D  Yeah, it is definitely a virginia pine.  I saw a picture on the internet of an early grown cone and it was a match for what I found on the tree I cut.  The mature cones also matched.  And it's still bleeding pitch ;)  I got unstuck though.  I wonder if I could get overtime, staying after hours stuck to a tree. ???

okmulch

When I was a t Purdue they taught us to look at the needles first and if there are two needles and they are crossed then it was virginia pine. The way to remember is that a virgin keeps her legs closed. :)
The needles of other pines with two needles and 2 inches in length do not overlap or cross each other.
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

WDH

They don't call it virgin ia pine for nothing ;D.

rebocardo

One other thing about sitting on trees instead of buckets are the bugs. Sitting on a tree makes you a nice target for roaches (sorry palmetto bugs), beetles, ticks, and ants.

WDH

And redbugs (chiggers) down here.

VT_Forestry

Quote from: WDH on October 11, 2008, 11:17:37 PM
And redbugs (chiggers) down here.

I worked in the coastal plain of Virginia this summer and I learned all about chiggers down there.  Don't even want to sit down in the woods they're so bad!
Forester - Newport News Waterworks

submarinesailor

Been there, done that.  Down just south of Richmond, I got eaten up by them.  Hated it!!!!!!!!!!

Bruce

Thank You Sponsors!