iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tornado logs

Started by pineywoods, April 30, 2011, 11:43:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineywoods

The flood of logs from tornado downed trees has started. Neighbor brought 3 nice logs from one blown down shortleaf pine. All 21 feet long from the same tree. 14 inch butt, little end of the top log was 10 inches. Thats only 4 inches of taper in 60 feet. Wanted 2X6 's.

No twisters here, but we got some pretty nasty straight line winds, lots of trees up-rooted.

Side note, the DanG wind shook all the fruit off my mayhaw trees.
The ground is covered with it.

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

LOGDOG

Thanks for sharing the pics Piney. Logs that long and straight, with that little taper would make nice poles.

It's a shame all that mayhaw fruit ended up on the ground. Do you make preserves with those? My wife and I have considered palnting mayhaws on our place. I had an old timer tell me that they can really handle wet ground well. Is that the case?

Magicman

Yes, storms and pine beetles are bad for landowners, but business for us.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

pineywoods

Quote from: LOGDOG on May 01, 2011, 09:11:39 AM

It's a shame all that mayhaw fruit ended up on the ground. Do you make preserves with those? My wife and I have considered palnting mayhaws on our place. I had an old timer tell me that they can really handle wet ground well. Is that the case?

Not preserves, make some of the best jelly you ever tasted. We pick them up off the ground and wash off the dirt. The trees do well in wet ground. If you are interested, next sat, may 7 is the mayhaw festival in Marion. There will be people there selling mayhaw trees. There is a comercial orchid just south of Marion that has nearly 600 trees.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390

Texas Ranger

We used to dip mayhaws from the surface of the water under the trees in wet years, pick them up in dry years.  Best jelly in the world. 

In answer to logdogs question, yes, they love a wet site.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

LOGDOG

I might just have to check that festival out! Do the deer like mayhaws?

clww

I wish I could have gotten some saw logs when I was in Colerain, NC a couple of weeks ago! I cut up two straight, solid pines that were at least 30" plus on the butt and 24" at the first limb-25 feet or more from one lady's front yard. I cut three solid days from 8 am until dusk all pine except for 2 cedar trees. Lots of these were snapped off 15 feet off the ground, but many were also blowdowns with the root ball still attached. I cut one red oak into 5 foot chunks that was 62" at the root ball. I had 6 wedges in that monster to keep it from pinching the bar. That one was not a saw log, though.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Magicman

During storm restoration many times we have to just saw.  No means of loading, hauling, or storing.  No matter "what or if".  It's sad, but just the way it is. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Left Coast Chris

Can the Mayhaw tree take temps down to 25 degrees?   Haven't heard of any around here so not likely.   
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

fishpharmer

Quote from: clww on May 01, 2011, 10:00:36 PM
I cut one red oak into 5 foot chunks that was 62" at the root ball. I had 6 wedges in that monster to keep it from pinching the bar. That one was not a saw log, though.

I know the feeling of hating to see good logs goto landfill and burn piles.  62" is perfectly fine as a saw log for a Lucas mill. ;)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

LOGDOG

Chris,

We get below 25 degrees here in North Louisiana. Not for extended periods usually but we do get that low, so they must be able to handle it.

ely

started hauling logs on saturday from the tornados here. got one load ok, then the next load my dad had a flat on the 18ft trailer. as i was passing the trailer on the side of the highway i lost one rear tire and wheel off my 16ft gooseneck, never knew it came off.
i know how silly that sounds but im serious. about 4 miles down the round the front tire on the same side had a blowout, i noticed that immediately.
when i got out to look at my trailer a guy pulled up and asked if i lost a wheel, i said yes sir. he then told me where it was.
about that time i seen my dad headed back down the hiway toward the other trailer, so i unhitched from mine and went to help him.
as we got his trailer back on his truck a lady accross the road hollared and ask if this was my tire, i allowed it was and went to retrieve it. lucky no one was injured. lug bolts had gotten loose and then sheared off. all six of em. (note to self, hubcaps on trailers are not good)

took us until after dark to finagle everything home. long day but we did get alot of pine and pecan logs.

tyb525

what's the saying, bad luck comes in threes?
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

pineywoods

Quote from: Left Coast Chris on May 01, 2011, 10:56:43 PM
Can the Mayhaw tree take temps down to 25 degrees?   Haven't heard of any around here so not likely.   

Mayhaw trees thrive here in north Louisiana where the temps often get down in the low teens for short periods of time. They are native to the lower mississippi valley mostly the old mississippi river flood plain, not likely to be found anwhere else.

DouginUtah

I had never heard of Mayhaw trees, fruit or jelly.  :o

My daughter is in Lafayette. Do you think she would be able to find Mayhaw jelly in a (country) store down there, and bring me a jar of it to try?
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

pineywoods

Quote from: DouginUtah on May 02, 2011, 12:18:43 PM

My daughter is in Lafayette. Do you think she would be able to find Mayhaw jelly in a (country) store down there, and bring me a jar of it to try?

Doug, she's not likely to find mayhaw jelly in the big supermarkets, even in lafayette. Production is mostly a mom and pop type of business. If she can't find it, pm me and I can put you in touch with a local source.

DanG

Mayhaws grow wild around here too, and they do make good jelly. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

submarinesailor

For twisted wood to food. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ::)

Bruce

timerover51

Quote from: LOGDOG on May 01, 2011, 03:16:07 PM
I might just have to check that festival out! Do the deer like mayhaws?

Based on this quote from the Louisiana Mayhaw Association website:

QuoteLouisiana mayhaws are also being utilized by the Louisiana Department of Agricultrue and Forestry and the USDA for reforestation as a wildlife food.

I was say that deer would like them, along with most every kind of wild critter.

timerover51

Quote from: DouginUtah on May 02, 2011, 12:18:43 PM

Doug, you might also want to check out this website, http://mayhaw.org/original/, as it has a list of places where you can buy Mayhaw jelly.

QuoteFor twisted wood to food.       

Bruce

Bruce, "it is an ill wind that blows no good."  The twisters also knocked down the mayhaw fruit.

Woodwalker

Quote from: pineywoods on May 02, 2011, 11:21:51 AM
Quote from: Left Coast Chris on May 01, 2011, 10:56:43 PM

Mayhaw trees thrive here in north Louisiana where the temps often get down in the low teens for short periods of time. They are native to the lower mississippi valley mostly the old mississippi river flood plain, not likely to be found anwhere else.
[/quote
We found a couple of Mayhaw around an old house place on a sand hill outside of El Dorado last week. High ground, well drained. May not grow there on it's own, but someone had put a lot of work into a nice little orchard that include Mayhaw, Pear, Apple, Peach. Wonder what happened to that guy.
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

Thank You Sponsors!