iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tornado

Started by Woodhauler, December 24, 2015, 07:48:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhauler

Hope all are well and remember the ones that lost there lifes in these storms!!!! Tragic to happen , and more tragic at Christmas tine :'( :'(
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

yukon cornelius

Oh no! It must have been bad. i hadn't checked the news yet.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Magicman

Thankfully the storms were North of us.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tree-farmer

Glad you are ok magicman, we are getting strong winds and thunder storms from that system here. Tonadoes are very rare in the moutains due to terain. Hate to hear about the deaths and Iinjuries anytime, but the christmas season makes it all the worse.
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

dean herring

We should all keep those families in our prayers.
We should also remember the true meaning of Christmas,and be thankful for our Savior Jesus Christ.
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

Ljohnsaw

Hope everyone back there is ok.

We even had a tornado out here!  I was out between 1 and 2 pm and thought the clouds looked like tornado weather.  It started about 3 pm a mile east of me and continued east.  It went for about 3 miles, very narrow.  The weather man was thinking maybe an EF0 - something you guys would think is just a sneeze. ;)  No reported injures but a number of trees knocked down or broken.  But did drop about 1" of dime-sized hail over a large area.  We have pretty boring weather here - the weather man was pretty darn excited about this and they ran the coverage for about 1/2 an hour or so.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Banjo picker

Quote from: Magicman on December 24, 2015, 09:16:10 AM
Thankfully the storms were North of us.
Now Lynn, I am north of you... :o  We had 14 folks up at the tornado shelter, but it went just a few miles north of me as well, but it didn't touch down in Tishomingo County.  There were seven killed west of here. Quite a bit of damage in Tennessee NE of us as well. Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Roxie

The report that one tornado traveled 145 miles is shocking!  Thoughts to all in that area. 
Say when

Magicman

10 people in Mississippi lost their lives to tornadoes this past week and multiple injuries.  The destruction was horrible.  Hopefully after this storm passes through tonight and Wednesday AM, we will return to some sort of "normal" Winter weather.  The forecast is for a continuing temperature drop all of this week.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Texas Ranger

We are in Arlington, Texas, visiting kids and grandkids, this mess went to the east of us by a few miles (hey, a miss is a miss) 8 folks lost their lives, a lot of damage and seems this system will be with us all day today.  Prayers for the Fort Worth Dallas metroplex
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

yukon cornelius

I have an aunt near there on Lake Worth and a friend in Garland. I am praying for all of you down there! if anyone needs anything, please let me know and I will be there! be safe everyone.

Magicman

Last night, 3:20 til 4:15, the first time that I recall ever getting up and dressing due to weather.  The weather alert sirens were going full blast.  Thankfully, the tornado broke apart 7 miles South of us.

yukon cornelius

That is too close! Glad you are safe!

Magicman

One town reported damage.  The storm front is steadily marching across the state and entering Alabama.  Buckle down guys.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Close call Lynn.....stay alert my friend.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

You may need to buckle down because it is centered on Alabama now and marching toward you.   :-\

Shotgun

We're sure happy that it broke up before it got to you, Lynn.  That's too close for comfort.

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on December 28, 2015, 01:09:12 PM
You may need to buckle down because it is centered on Alabama now and marching toward you.   :-\

Yep.....just saw it on the weather / news. Thanks for the heads up.  help_me
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

rick carpenter

If anyone has a mind or heart to, you can respond to tornadoes and such. It's very rewarding work, and if you don't think you are qualified you can certainly get qualified. To do it in a helpful* way though, you must be part of a recognized organization in the business of response or relief. One way is to join your local CERT team, Community Emergency Response Team. They are run by your local OEM, but some are based out of churches/etc. This is sort of a "first-and-a-half" response organization. You'll be trained for a lot of different post-event situations.

Another way is through faith-based relief organizations. Many denominations have them. I am a disaster response coordinator for the United Methodist Church's Texas Annual Conference Committee on Relief, and we have trained and certified Early Response Teams as our front-line capacity. We are called in to areas to help homeowners get stabilized in the immediate aftermath of a disaster, generally before the insurance is settled. Rebuilding before insurance gets settled might actually harm the homeowner's case. That is why we are relief teams, not rebuilding teams. We may tarp roofs, patch holes, make sure that doors can lock, gather scattered possessions, sift through ashes for valuables, clear debris, tear out wet/molded walls & floors, even hold hands. Flexibility and ingenuity are key to being successful. I was on a team that went up to Rowlett TX on New Years weekend to clean up after their tornado.

A lot of relief workers transition into rebuilding team members, but that comes later. That is also something I do.

So... see if you could devote some time and effort to this. You probably won't be called into action a lot, but when you are you'll know you're needed!

* Yes, you can 'help' in most unhelpful ways such as showing up unexpectedly demanding the locals accommodate you or delivering unauthorized material donations (cash is always best!).
Suburban Redneck raised up in the Deep South!

Thank You Sponsors!